Alternative warriors or black guard

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Alternative warriors or black guard

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Has anyone tried these as alternative models for warriors or black guard?

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Elves/Spearmen/Product/Elves-Spearmen-Regiment.html

I've been thinking of using the GW warriors for my crossbow men, and these guys as my spears. They have very dynamic poses, which appeals to me.

They can be purchased here:

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=mtc_kow_elf_inf_231_000

From Maelstrom Games, who sponsor our beloved site, and offer free shipping.
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Holy ****! Those Spearelves looks amazing!
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I've seen them in person, I picked them up, I put them down, I'm not going to be using them in a warhammer game.

1. They are *visibly* smaller than warhammer miniatures. They reach warhammer elves to their shoulders.

2. They are much thinner than warhammer miniatures

3. I've seen an entire high elf army fielded in a tournament using Mantic miniatures. Yes the miniatures are nice, but they just don't *fit*. You're looking at something that reaches an ogre to its knee... and then you realise the dragonlord is on face level with said ogre.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Zerodth
Corsair

Post by Zerodth »

sry to dampen your spirits... but those models looks so puny against GWs range^^ yeah they look more natural.. they dont have GIANT hands.. feet and heads... but... theyr soooo short... ino a guy that plays HE and uses those models... i spend most of the match giggeling.. those elfs VS the gamezone ( think thats the one..) Dark elf COld ones.. they are HUGE!
and the HE models reach em to theyr knea^^
Sa`an`ishar

See my Warhammer album http://s828.photobucket.com/albums/zz20 ... 20Druchii/ most of them are still in prog^^ slow painter....
Blaqkheart
Warrior

Post by Blaqkheart »

I love the look, but as the others said they just look silly against GW minis.
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

They are tiny... Just like Zerodth says. Half the size or something.
-JK.
Assassination nation
Shade

Post by Assassination nation »

Thats a shame that they are so much smaller. Theyre great minis but everything i own is aparently a much larger scale. Like i said, its a damn shame.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I got a couple in an order as a sample, and yes they are tiny. LoTR yes, but WHFB, no.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I'd say they're a bit small even for LotR. With new rules regarding LoS in fantasy it'd be borderline cheating to use them unless your opponant was working from the same range. They *are* beautiful models though.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Maybe... Maybe they can be converted to look abit more GW'ish...
I can imagine a kind and warm hearted society such as the Druchii would allow children to earn a living by serving in the military. :twisted:
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Too bad their so small, I definitely do not need any pygmy elves in my army. Thanks for the heads up!