War Hydra fire

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Duguay-trouin
Shade

War Hydra fire

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Hello,

I want to model a hydra breathing fire. A couple of the heads have their mouths open, so those ones will be breathing fire, while the others will remain as normal.

I think that it would be a great opportunity to paint dramatic other source lighting. Not to mention a fire breathing Hydra!

I am stuck on how to model the fire though. I can do basic things with green stuff, but I have never tried flames.

The only bits I have seen with fire have been torches from the flagellants or from the empire wizard kit. I think that these flames would be too small though. People might think the hydra is just belching after devouring some BBQ goblin. :lol:

While that would be hilarious, I want to go for a more intimidating look. That means bigger flames. :twisted:

Any suggestions on how to use green stuff to make flames, or any bits that would be appropriate?
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Well, there's a gamer out of warhammer.org.uk that has done exactly what you seek. Perhaps ask him? Take lead from his example?

His name is Jeff, and here's a link, the first post holds the Hydra (by the way, he has a really awesome looking Spartan themed DE army!):
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63075&start=60
Hope this helps,
Rafa.
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

Wow. Just Wow. Wish I could paint like that.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Spiralout
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Spiralout »

Bizarrely, No More Nails or similar stuff can work quite nicely for fire. I've never tried to do something as extravagant as the hydra posted there, but i've done little bits of fire on Tzeentch bases etc. and its turned out quite nicely. Maybe to get the shape you could get some brass rod, shape a "teardrop" shape with blu tac, coat it in No More Nails, tease it into flame shapes, then pin the whole thing into the Hydras mouth when its dried? Not sure how well it'd work, but i've been contemplating trying it for a dragon so we'll see.
Spiral out...keep going
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Here is another thread for flames, I can't remember where I came across the link for this but it is a great flame tutorial for anything.

Beware it is full of awsome :P
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43941

Edit: it includes a dragon and mage with huge flames like what you are considering.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

And, that link from Deroth is from THE SAME GUY I posted above, so it appears we all have bookmarked his work when it comes to fire! :)

Rafa.
Toddums
Warrior

Post by Toddums »

wow, that is one bad ass looking hydra
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Wow thanks guys that that's exactly what I need.
Gailbraithe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gailbraithe »

Alternately, you can just cheat and use Armorcast's Cinematic Effects...like these flamethrower bursts:

http://armorcast.com/store/product_info ... 734aba23f1
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Black Primer Painting Service