Painting a Black Dragon

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Painting a Black Dragon

Post by Minigrift »

Hi guys!

Now, I hate asking for help with anything, but having looked round for a good guide for painting a Black Dragon - none was to be found. Looked on the GW site - nope. Warseer - nope. Librarium Online - no help there... Here - nope! My Google searches gave me plenty of advice in actually drawing or painting a dragon on paper... But no help painting a dragon model!

Having recently finished my Dreadlord on Black Dragon conversion, I want to get it painted! The Dreadlord is easy enough, but the dragon... isn't. I think the biggest thing I've painted so far is a Bretonnian Pegasus Knight.

Anyway, right, stop rambling... Has any one got any tips or pointers for painting a black dragon? Where should I start? What colours work best with black?

Better yet... If someone could point me toward a tutorial for painting a black dragon, it would be much appreciated!!

-Grifty-
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Toddums
Warrior

Post by Toddums »

I recently thought about this too...

sorry I'm no help, best I could think of is to gradually add codex gray to the black for the highlights
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

this guy has a really nice black/bone theme for his minis. check out his blog, and maybe PM him with question. very talented guy imo :)
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... &start=200
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Thanks guys!

Sarcon's work is indeed impressive! Read through the whole thread! Still don't have a tutorial for painting a dragon, but might start regardless... Was going to post in the thread and ask him, but noticed the last post was over 2 years ago! So sent him a PM instead!

Cheers for the head's up Tsunami :)
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

Here is my Dreadlord on Black Dragon.

If you want to see up close views
http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy64 ... k%20dragon

If you like what you see let me know and I will go into detail on how I painted the dragon.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Wow! That is a mighty fine dragon you got there Nellamik!!

I do like what I see... So, how did you paint such a magnificent beast?
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

Thanks I appreciate that.
I wanted a blue aspect to the black dragon but not too much.

First I based the dragon Flat black.
Next I highlighted (dry bryshed) with dark grey then again with light grey.
Then I washed the dragon with GW's Asurmen blue.
That came out quite blue so I washed over that with GW's Badab black.
I was happy with the skin tone that I ended up with. The grey is still there but the blue wash really changed it and he still has the black appearance.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Wow! That easy, eh? I assume it would work for other colours as well, like red for example.

I got the Dreadlord painted earlier today, that wasn't too difficult! Will get the dragon painted over the next few days and maybe post up some pics if anyone is interested!
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

On my dragon, I went with a black primer. Then I drybrushed the entire thing with a dark green (I think it was the Orc color). After that I hit it with black inks for a wash and then followed up by carefully using a lighter green to hit the scale details.

It looks black at first glance but as you look more, its got a lot of nifty detail to it.

~B~
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

I'm still working on mine.

Black Primer, and I gunmetal and grey to give it an undersheen

I've put in some turquoise at the extremities and mixed some purple up and down parts of the body IN the black.

right now, since I've over painted it twice gradually adding more black, the main next step is the highlight colours, and ard coat. (sadly the purple has all but disappeared- it made it look interesting with it's blackness). I throw metallics in the high light things. Sadly I don't have many of the graveyard earth, or bubonic brown or the good tan selections so I have to figure out what to do for it's undercarriage.
Oderint dum Metuant.
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

Wow! That easy, eh? I assume it would work for other colours as well, like red for example.

I got the Dreadlord painted earlier today, that wasn't too difficult! Will get the dragon painted over the next few days and maybe post up some pics if anyone is interested!

Of course we are interested, will he look like he came out of Lockness?
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

I sent you a PM, Grifty.
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Nellamik wrote:

Of course we are interested, will he look like he came out of Lockness?

Shall try to avoid that if at all possible! It's coming along nicely, but so very slowly... Will have some pics up in a few days, if everything goes as planned!

@ Sarcon - got it, thanks :)