Plog The Disgraced House of Naggarond - Unreleased sorcerer

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Here's a much more finished version of my Players. Still WIP.

Lineman Kasha Winespittle

Lineman Vello Fleshreaper

Runner Sryde Longstabber "The Talent"

Longstabber is obviously a complete and utter rip off of Rich's Dark Elf runner. Most of this team is a rip off of his squad. He did such a great job with his team, I just had to have a go at it myself.

I imagine that my Dark Elf prince would only allow his most favored nobles to join the team, so all my linesmen will be Cynath's retinue of Cold one knights. The Blitzers will be the champions of my army and favoured lackeys (with a few exceptions, I don't think Kathala would be very good with only one eye). The runners will be talented common elves afforded the honour of a game. And the witch elf will be a...well a witch elf.

Being the megalomanic that he is, I'm using Cynath as both the star player and the coach. I'm not sure if this will have any in game consequences, but by putting his name down twice on the team sheet, it emphasizes just who is really in charge of this squad, and who should have all the fun.

LilLoser
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Man, I'd love to start a Blood Bowl team... XD
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Skills: Basic Stealth, Wilderness Lore
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Does anyone know what a revelation looks like?

I know, and it looks like this -

Last week I was finishing up some sculpts and I broke my scalpel blade. Actually, I broke my last scalpel blade, so I had to venture out into the fresh air to get another pack. During my adventure around the craft shop I noticed this rather charming item - it was love at first sight. I knew that my life had just become a whole lot easier.

Why? Because now I can race through chain-mail like it's no-body's business.

The sphere at the tip of this tool is just the right size to sculpt chain-mail. I can now achieve accurate, presentable and pleasing chain-mail at the fraction of the swearing. I am currently ignorant as to the name of this tool, so if anyone can enlighten me i'd be highly appreciative.

Shame that I did not have this blessed tool at the outset of sculpting thirty chain-mail skirts.

BLOODBOWL

Below is a quick knock up for Cynath Ch'Ihll as a blitzer for my bloodbowl team.

Cynath Ch'Ihll, Owner, Coach, Star Player of the Naggarond Gorgons

I'm very pleased at how easy it is to convert the new dark eldar kits into Dark Elves. I have big idea's for my Cold One Knights and Executioners, but I;ve promised myself not to start them until I have painted the spearmen. But i've never been very good at keeping a promise...

C.C - LilLoser
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Loving the blood bowl conversions, where is Cynath Ch'ill's head from?
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Kula
Warrior

Post by Kula »

That looks like a really good tool indeed, what kind of tool is it and does it have a name? :)
Rogue-gladiator
Dark Rider

Post by Rogue-gladiator »

The tool you discovered is called an embossing tool, and is used for creating raised embellishments in metal foil. It is is also sometimes called a burnishing tool. Really useful tool, I figured everyone knew about it.

Very nice work. I looked through the blog's text briefly, and didn't see any mention of how you went about doing what I assume to be molding and casting your parts. Any input into your methods?- the resin bits look quite nice. Also, I'm just curious as to what you consider the point of when you get into copyright infringement- I can't help but feel you're definitely pushing the line on a few pieces (though I'm not going to lie and say I'm not guilty of the same crime- why buy a whole box of corsairs when you only need the front armour pieces?).
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

I like the last one a lot. Apart from the head though (not your mistake ;)). What Dar Eldar unit did you use to convert them? I might steal your isea.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

MDK wrote:What Dar Eldar unit did you use to convert them? I might steal your isea.

new kabal warrior IMO...

This last converion rocks!...

about the tool..a really useful one!..maybe a bit smaller would fit better.

About your las chainmail. It looks really nice, but I think you should push a bit more each row in opposite directions..an awful schema:

->o ->o ->o
o<-o<-o<-
->o ->o ->o

o = holes in chain mail
-> direction of the push.

This "pushes" makes the chain mail more interwoven
Death before dishonor
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Thank you everyone for the compliments.

@ Rogue Gladiator - So I discovered an embossing tool? Awesome. Embossing tools are awesome. It's my new favourite toy.

@ MDK - Better not be insulting my lord's head! He's a handsome dude who won't stand for lip! The dark Eldar legs are indeed from the new kabalite warrior kit.

@ Lord Azoth - I will endevour to do just that. However I've been experimenting with sculpting chainmail vertically instead of horizontally.

Cynath Ch'ill wrote:I've promised myself not to start them until I have painted the spearmen. But i've never been very good at keeping a promise...

This is me breaking a promise I made. W.I.P executioner of Khaine.

ImageImage

I'm working through the units now and I'll probably have the army all converted up before I start painting. Saying that, I will be undercoating 5 spearmen after writing this to try out the paint scheme, and to get some painted models into the army. I have also settled on a paint scheme for Cynath, but I will probalbly paint him up as a treat after the 25 spearelves.

I also though I'd post up the army list i'm working too. This will give an indication of where this army is heading, and what kind of conversions I have in mind.

Cynath Ch’Ihll, the Disgraced Prince of Naggarond.

Mandigora Fleshweaver, Renegade priest of Vaul (lore of metal)

Unamed Hag with Cauldron of Blood

9 Nobles of Ch'ihll(Cold One Knights)
Led by Lord Valodurious BloodBane

16 Crossbowmen “Raven Company”
Led by Mistress Sulla Poisonvien

25 Household Guard Khela’Mandour Charace
Captained by Khatalha Khela’Mandour

6 Slave experiments (Harpies)

6 slave experiments

16 Executioners
Captained by Varkaai the Vain

6 Shades

This comes to roughly 2000 pts. In my first draft I had witch elves instead of executioners, but as soon as I saw the new incubi models it was love at first sight. I knew I had to convert Executioners from them.

I haven't gone for Hydra's, Black Guard or chariots for fluff reasons (all associated with favours granted by the witch king). The Cauldron is stolen from the Ch'Ihll household, and is maintained by a Hag with her court of Khainities. The army has been built around Cynath and his retinue of nobles, who like roaming the old world, making sport of the lesser races.

I will eventually name all the units and captains, but I've found that you can only really name a character when you have the model there in front of you; it sort of names itself, and gathers a backstory organically. This will help when designing the banners for individual units and any accompanying conversions.

LilLoser
[/color]
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Awesome!! I really like those execs. Can’t wait to see the paint scheme you come up with.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Rogue-gladiator
Dark Rider

Post by Rogue-gladiator »

that's one impressive executioner- you have quite a knack for creating a beautiful sense of movement and pose in your models that Games-workshop just doesn't seem to strike a balance for (their models seem either too static or too busy). Are you planning on placing any type of robe on the executioners? It doesn't seem like it based on your conversion, but it's worth considering, I say- I think they'd look ace with a larger robe on the back- if you wanted a faster solution than green stuff, would could get some thin copper foil used in embossing to create quick and sturdy cloth- holds folds nicely, and is very thin, adding a degree of elegance not usually seen with plastic or greenstuff robes.

If you are looking to make your chainmail finer, I would suggest picking up a probe that is commonly used for biology (example: http://www.amazon.com/55-1750-Precision ... 324&sr=8-7).

It is a needle like tool with a thicker wire shaft than your normal needle, but thinner than a embossing tip. You would have to grind it back a bit to get rid of the point, but that isn't too hard. Also, to improve the overall appearance of your chain, I would suggest creating the overall form and flow of the chainmail first (think of this as a robe under the mail), letting it dry without worrying about adding the pattern, and then smearing a thin layer of greenstuff over the form to make the chainmail design that lord azoth suggested. It forces a uniformity to the chain that I don't think can be achieved with throwing down a layer of greentstuff to create both the overall form and pattern of the mail. A rushed and sloppy version can be seen here, where used the plastic form of the wood elf's clothing as the underform for the chainmail, and placed a thin layer of mail on top.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/ ... inmail.jpg

Let me know if that helps,
RG
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Thank you everyone for the kind words. And thank you for the tips.

I am very pleased how well the new dark eldar range fits in with dark elves. With a little work, the Druchii have a fantastic new range to play with.

I've been working on painting up my first spearman and Lineman from my bloodbowl team today. Here are the progress photo's

I'm very pleased how the skin tone has turned out, and I am satisfied with how the breastplate has turned out on the spearman. I've been having some second thoughts about my all black Elves. I've considering painting the lining of the cloth purple to work with the black and gold scheme. I think this would also inject some much needed colour into the miniatures.

LilLoser
Lord_skrolk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord_skrolk »

very cool idea's
now i look also for what i can the dark eldar modells in my army
Brachenshire
Executioner

Post by Brachenshire »

dude your work is just awesome...wish i knew how to sculpt.

the skin tone I agree is really nice....to be honest the first thought was it looks to fit more a VC (vampire count) skin tone. What coloors you work with for the skin
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

What is the skin tone based around? Bleached bone? Try shading with black as you have, with a really faint tint of blue. It might not work, but I've seen it work very well.
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Wow, that is a nice blade. What modle is it from?
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Thank you all for the compliments.

@ Dumbledore - I'm going go have to use that old chestnut and blame the camera. I have indeed used blue, imitating another user's recipe for skin.

@Desmodeus - the sword is from the excellent new Incubi set.

BRRRRRRRrrrrrrr, been cold eh?

Look at those things! Actual icicles. Although this may be an everday sight for some warseer reader's, it is quite a novelty for me. It has been the coldest winter of my life and i've been trying to enjoy it as much as I can. I created another thread on the painting and gaming section asking people to post up reference pictures of snow landscapes, needn't have bothered. I've been taking lots of pics and I hope to assemble them into a tutorial on how to create realistic snow bases in the near future.

In the mean time i've been slowly building my dark elves and what better time to update my progress on Christmas Eve?

My first painted warrior, all finished except for the snow on the base. Ironically, the heavy snowfall has prohibited me getting materials to finish the base.

More prgress on the warriors. I have now completed a few of them (banner bearer) and i'm looking forward to more clement weather to undercoat them.

Here is my prototype for the crossbowmen. I need to add a manly skirt and something else. It's missing a certain something.

I'm looking into adding feathers to the helmets, but i'm worried they might look too similar to high elves. I want my Crossbowmen to be dashing and pompous led as they are by...

Mistress Sulla Poisonvien of Hag Graef

And her standard bearer (who takes care of her pets as they travel abroad)

Image[/CENTER]

And who's this? A little teaser for those kind enough to follow this blog.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Image[/CENTER]

LilLoser
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

love the paintjob on those spearmen, gives them a really cold, ghostly aspect
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

As always, love your conversions. And the 2 spearmen painted look awesome
Death before dishonor
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

good job there. The spearmen still remaining my favourite, ultra cool.
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Is that the ice demon from the Shield of Ghrond? :P

I think your Standard Bearer is my favourite modle, so far.
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

Loser - what are the two white materials you use so frequently (presuming the base material is different from the torsos / heads etc. material which seems to me from the pictures)???

Obviously a core part of your work is home made casts, what materials you use for the molds and the casts itself?

I will need some custom made heads for my corsairs, so far I have achieved some progress in casting from greenstuff but the results are not satisfactory, clearly you got the point, pls share the technique

Thanks and congrats
Savo
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

@ Mr Malus. Cheers dude.

@ Lord Azoth. Thank you, and thank you for all the comments. When can I expect the next installment in your blog? Are you still working on the space wolves, or have you been mislead?

@ Savanaroia (hope I spelt that correctly) + Desmondeus. Thank you, I'm glad you like the spearmen, they were such a pain in the ass. I guess it's fitting that what torments me should give you pleasure.

What am I doing posting at midnight on a Friday night? I've hit a snag.

I've been working on the Lordling for my Cold one knights. I wanted to beef up the current kit with a few souvenirs from the new Dark Eldar range and I intended to use Beastmaster's Rakarth's shield as Valodurious', but the trophy rack gets in the way.

I don't want to loose the trophy rack because it adds symmetry to the model, but now I'm at a loss as to what to put in his right hand.

So what to add? A decapitated head? The right arm of the archon kit? A big fat 13 inch thick *****?

Any help, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. But keep them above the waist and clean.

LilLoser
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

You could greenstuff a shield for him, aint gonna be such a big deal. I second Savonarola in asking u: what's the white stuff you use a lot? When casting pieces for action figures or larger scale models (54mm plus) I use a product from allumilite resin that looks a lot like that.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Cynath Ch'ill wrote:
@ Lord Azoth. Thank you, and thank you for all the comments. When can I expect the next installment in your blog? Are you still working on the space wolves, or have you been mislead?

I´m still on it..but my troubles with the airbrush have made me to be a little disappointed with the project...but never surrender ;)
Death before dishonor