Plog The Disgraced House of Naggarond - Unreleased sorcerer

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dreadlord taylindril
Dark Rider

Post by Dreadlord taylindril »

I'm lost for words, with everything you have done so far... Cannot wait to see more.
it is time for us to make war on the Asur; shed blood in khaine's name.
hail king malekith

dreadlord taylindril of hag graef
Elithmar of lothern

Post by Elithmar of lothern »

Those wolf riders are such dynamic models, and I always love assassin conversions.

Some really exceptional and inspirational stuff here. :)
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers guys.

As a last Hurrah to 2012 I thought i'd post up these pictures of my Dread Prince Cyanth, now sporting a new ride:

For more pictures and back history please visit here:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... raced.html

Seasonal tidings all!
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Done a little work on the Black Prince

and found this awesome picture!

Harks back to my notes made oh so long ago.

I'm pondering how to paint the sword. The visual que for the model comes from Moorcock's Elric and I quite some of the early artwork for the book covers. Of course this would mean more black, something I'm loathe to do (I get criticised a lot for lack of contrast and it's something I think I'll hear a lot once I post the finished pictures of the prince). A plain silver sword would mean another cold colour against the blue of the Cold one's hide. Perhaps a magma - esque sword? I could then paint his ring red and have a warm purple along the barding of the steed to complete the triangle of colours.

Love to hear any and all thoughts.

LilLoser
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Gamezone Predators have a certain joie de vivre :P I can anticipate the effect they will have on the tabletop alongside the rest of your army.

All of your work is very imaginative and very well executed - looking forward to see more.

PS What are you going to do with Cynath's old mount?
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

If I remember correctly, some of the cover art for Elric had glowing red runes on a black blade....opportunity for object source lighting?
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

@ Tyrannus: They certainly have something. The old Cold one has been retired (No doubt eaten by the new Gamezone version).

@ Lazarus: That was my line of thought too, but I just could not make it work. The red really stood out and dominated the miniature so I decided to go for a colder NMM effect.

I've been having a mess around with my new camera. Bloody thing is difficult to use. Here are a few first run snaps. Any criticism is most welcome.

Not all characters are in focus here.

Slightly happier with the below ones:

LilLoser
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

With a blizzard ripping it's way through the UK causing mild discomfort and upsetting travel plans for all I thought what better way to spend my hobby time than making more snow!

There are a few tutorials around that describe how to create basic snow effects, but i'd like to discuss how to create different snow effects such as melting snow, fresh snow etc and introduce a new method to create controlled snow bases.

Link to the full article here:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... -snow.html

Until next time!

LilLOser
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

Every time I look at what you've come up with next, I'm totally blown away.
I think it was a gutsy move to tear apart your general (who was already perfect) just to replace the cold one, but it has paid off. Those gamezone cold ones do have a certain je ne sais quoi. They fit in more with the description of sluggish creatures that go mental once they have the scent of blood in their nostrils.
Not only do I really like your conversions, but your subdued painting style also makes your dark elves look so evil, especially your flesh colours. I had a look on your blog, and liked what I saw (the TMM dark eldar are particularly impressive), but is there any chance you will post a tutorial on painting those flesh tones?
Keep up the great work! :twisted:
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

I hadn't checked your main site until Vladdrak mentioned it - but wow! Youre not only on fire with your dark elves just now; you have been hitting the ball out of the park with all your recent miniatures.

Awesome stuff :D
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

The Hounds of Naggarond
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

The inspiration behind these and my dark rider conversions came from the classic marauder Dark Elf scouts and artwork from the 4th edition army book. Unlike the very sleek shades, Dark Elf scouts had a much more feral look to them that I wanted to update. The Dark Eldar Hellion kit afforded me the perfect opportunity of creating feral elves earning a meagre living from the harsh, barren landscape of Naggarond.

I painted the miniatures in dark earthy tones to contrast with the lustrous purple of my warriors. The weapons were painted with tiny chips covering their surface, a sign of misuse and ill discipline. I also managed to squeeze in a couple of the old marauder dogs into the pack to represent the smaller breed of dog used for hunting and pit fighting. These were dry brushed and washed to give a dirty and unkept look, fitting for such base born mongrels.

For background, bigger pictures and reference pics

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... hades.html

...or just enjoy the pictures.

@ Vladdrak; Cheers man, that's really nice of your to say. Thanks for visiting my blog as well. I'll get a tutorial planned on Dark elf skin in the near future.

@ Tyrannus Deathbringer: Cheers man. I have an interest in all kind of miniature art but I didn't want this log to become a mis match of projects. This is purely for Druchii fanatics like you guys and myself.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Superb work.
Being an old player I gladly recognize your inspiration, and perfect execution.

Congratulations, Master.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

You have a really nice army happening here! I especially love your block of spear elves. The fluff, the conversion work, painting is all top notch and have come together to form a great army!!

I really like your choice of colours - a great inspiration for all on Dnet. Keep up the posts and thanks for the motivion to keep me painting :-)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Wow... I really love your work.
I don't know what else to say. It's all perfect, the theme, the models, the story, the awesome painting... it all goes together so well. I look forward to seeing more.

Also, would it be ok for me to get some inspiration from your work, especially considering Dark Eldar bits?
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

@ Ming; thank you. I always try and draw inspiration for the classics.

@ cult of khaine; that's incredibly nice of you to say thank you. I really like your work too. May I ask, how do you get such clean bright photographs? Do you use a light box?

@ rowena; you absolutely can. I've drawn a lot of inspiration from this website and I owe it a lot. I'm humbled that I can add material to inspire others. I'm also delighted to see new plogs pop up such as your own. Hopefully there will be a lot more activity here from other users creating unique, themed armies.

Cynath.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Cynath Chill - Yes I use a light box , its the only way to get the best result. Its the best way to minimise shaddows and get even light around the model.

cultofkhaine wrote: I have a small Sony Cybershot Camera that I set the focus to a micro setting on (seems to focus ok) I also purchased a photo tent of ebay somthing like the link below for about $100, there are lots to choose from

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Photo-Studio-Light-Tent-Kit-8-Backdrops-40cm-80cm-2x-Tent-Carry-Bag-Bonus-/130836949603?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e767d6a63

The main thing is to use globes in your lighting that reflect the sunlight and not fluro lights as these suck all the colour out of the images. I think its luminace of 5500k.

Once the photos are taken I pull them into Photoshop and with a couple of clicks adjust the white point in the image (and they come out like these)

I normally use a few sheets of A4 white paper to sit the models on rather that using the light tent as a background. The aim of the light tent is to disperse the light evenly around the model and reduce shadows.

Hope this helps :-)

Your photos look great the only thing I think they could benefit from is a little bit of Sharpen in Photoshop just to take a little bit of the blur out of them - it only takes a coupe of seconds to do.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It's breath taking work and painting quality. I really like the dark style of the painting.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

love this unit mate!, really love this wild look you give to them!
Death before dishonor
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers for the feedback guys!

In other news I managed to get my Throgg and Dragon Ogres featured on the GW website!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/b ... id=7600026

How cool is that?

There are more photos on my website if you care to have a look.

I'll have a few W.I.P shots up of forthcoming Druchii goodness.

Cynath...AkA LilLOser...aka...the red baron...aka Myles
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Your secret identity has been revealed! :P

Your painting and modelling skills have found their ideal platform...rockin' their swag on the GW website!

Congrats :D
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Cynath Yes congratulations, well deserved!

Those new Chaos models are awesome, wish I did not have so many dark elves to paint at the moment and I would get me some :twisted:
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Re: The Disgraced House of Naggarond - The Dread Prince Ch'

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Well, the last couple of months have been rather hectic. Between Abbadon and Loken, Chaos warriors, the Phoenician and the Tau New releases I've had little time to work on my beloved Dark Elves.

I did however managed to get a couple of games in with a mate (first of 8th Ed.) and found my lust re-kindled.

As a teaser to releasing pictures of Cynath here's a little flavour text:

The Lorica of Lost Nagarythe

The Lorica of Lost Nagarythe is a suit of full armour in the fashion of those worn by the Kings of old before the Sundering. The armour is wrought in the most painstakingly beautiful manner, the minutiae of which tells the history of the Elvish race. Scenes of the Birth, the enslavement by the Old Ones and the life of the Aenerion play out across the obsidian metal in silent repose, forever doomed to enact the triumphs and tragedies of the greatest civilization the world has known.
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cynath Ch'Ihll,
The Black Prince of Naggarond, The Gorgon's Bastard, Lord of Nagarythe

Cynath remains the sole heir to the Ch'Ihll dynasty, an ancient name that ruled Lost Nagarythe at the behest of doomed Aenerion. The Black House is ancient, even by the reckoning of the Elves and holds many traditions that pre-date the Great War against Chaos in the first age.

The Black Prince is a bastard of the house; a title that is fashionable in the higher echelons of Naggarond society. In truth, matters of legitimacy and blood inheritance are of little consequence to those of power, only invoking these ancient mores in matter of politics. Lokastias, the current Matriarch of the Ch'Ihll dynasty, has not birthed a child that is hale and whole since Cynath. It is talked of that the Prince is the doom of the Ch'Ihll dynasty, the last in the line of monsters...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This model has been with me since the very earliest days of collecting Warhammer miniatures. He's been through many iterations, inspired by many sources but has always remained the focal point of my Druchii army.

For more pictures, introspection and an expanded back history please visit my blogsite:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/cynath-chihll-black-prince-of-naggarond.html

and for regular updates on everything i'm upto don't forget to stick a like on my facebook page:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/cynath-chihll-black-prince-of-naggarond.html

Myles

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

You need to stick a PLOG on the title ;)

I'm one of those who prefers GWs Cold One's over the Gamezone Predator, but I have to say that the dread prince Ch'ill has found his ideal mount and most Napoleonic character with his new choice of steed :twisted:

Great work, and always appreciate updates on your Druchii 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

I prefer GW's Cold ones over Gamezone's too but I must say your painting techniques are really REALLY good!

Are those warriors magnetized? Because the banner top must throw the standard bearer off-balance.