Island of blood, Could the HE become DE easily?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Tomj8937
Trainee Warrior

Island of blood, Could the HE become DE easily?

Post by Tomj8937 »

Basicly its in the title, Could I turn the High elves from island of blood into dark elves easily enough. I haven't got the army book so are the dark elves as elite as high elves or close enough to it to work as here are about 34 HE models and I dont want to convert them and find out iv only got like 250 points. lease tell me this cause Im new and I don't like to make mistakes (im poor).
Last edited by Tomj8937 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''The bell of souls shall toll tonight, the question is for whom? Here my brother, it is decided.''

Armellus Bloodheart at the Arena of lost souls, shortly before he kills his brother Morgar Bloodtalon.
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

I woundn't go through all that trouble. If you buy the IoB game set and don't want HE I would trade them for what you want. Or sell them on e-bay and buy what you want. That goes for the rats your gonna get too.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

or you could spend that 150 on the DE box set on units that you WILL be using in your games and don't need to go through the trouble of converting HE models to DE.

I have converted HE spears into DE spears. DE sprues have enough left over spears and heads for you to stick onto HE models. I simply mix and match them up, like putting DE chest onto HE legs, DE head onto DE chest etc. I'd then stick them in the middle of my units so it's not as obvious to the naked eye. I haven't and don't dare to try converting its other models. You probably could make DRs from their Reavers but that's about all. Or if you're good with greenstuff then you could modify their greatswords to resemble executioners, but too much effort that's not worth spending.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

It can be done for sure, but it sounds like a dounting task.
The reavers, especially, are very far from dark riders (the only thing i suppose you can turn them into).
Markusswe
Corsair

Post by Markusswe »

I considered earlier to make an elf army I could use as two different ones. Ie. using a color scheme that works for both armies. Like a dark/blue/white(highlights) DE/HE army. While this is possible for things like pheonix guards that can be used as black guards it's harder when there's more difference (like rpx/bow, horses/cold ones).

HE/WE works a lot better for this. Perhaps with green/turquoise mostly. Archers, eagles and a dragon can be the same, eternal guards can be used as spearelves or the other way around, wardancers as swordmasters (ie paint dancers bracers in metal). Most difficult is cavalry which for HE is barded but not for WE (some sort of light cavalry could be used as wild riders/reavers).

Treemen, heavy cavalry, bolters, dryads are those you can't use as something else in the other army.

Well, that's just a few ideas for you guys!
Tomj8937
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tomj8937 »

Im no stranger to daunting tasks I converted the whole assault on black reach set marines into sace wolves with 1 sw pack and some green stuff it cant my too hard. I mean just say there newly turned give em some repeater crossbows and long hair and convert the head crests (I am NOT having dark elves with fish's on them). Also 150? Its only 60 quid or are you aus.
''The bell of souls shall toll tonight, the question is for whom? Here my brother, it is decided.''

Armellus Bloodheart at the Arena of lost souls, shortly before he kills his brother Morgar Bloodtalon.
Playa23
Corsair

Post by Playa23 »

Firstly, Its probably not worth doing that entire conversion. Secondly, is it just me or is the Island of blood set a little random. Battle for Skull Pass seemed to make more sense... cheers ;)
Aeth
Warrior

Post by Aeth »

To be honest I think you'd be better off buying the DE battalion box than IoB.
.........|\~
....\~| \
....|\./.\
.r/_\ /___\ç
.\======/¨
~~~~~~~~~

These are the voyages of the Black Arc Enterprise..........
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

yea aus is 150, but the equivalent between the DE battalion and IoB is still the same, which was the point i was making. sorry, didn't think before i placed a price down ;)

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Myrkrdreki
Shade

Post by Myrkrdreki »

You get allot more fun stuff in IoB :) Swordmasters-> executioners. Reavers-> DR. Theese are atm metal for us, and the ones that comes in the batalion is plastic. And you get some skaven, thats allways fun! I'm considering buying IoB for that wery same reason; using them as DE.
8th Edition:

W/D/L
14/1/4
Tomj8937
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tomj8937 »

Meteor That's fine we all make mistakes sometimes. I dunno if ill still do it on the grounds that my mate and I decided on a deal ages ago We go halfsies on IOB he has one army I have the other and the rulebook I wanted to start a dark elf army so my mate sujjested ''hey why dont you have some of my dark elves (enouth to match the size of the other ones in the box) And ill keep both armies?'' So I now dont know what the hell im doing.

Dannyisevil
Shade

Post by Dannyisevil »

Use the high elf models as scenery.
Like put some dead reavers between the trees.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Use the high elf models as scenery.

You could buy some of the menoth racks from the privateer press range and pin the high elf bodies to them ;)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Tomj8937
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tomj8937 »

good ideas guys
Quick question, I don't have the book at the moment but have struck a deal with a friend so i get the book with the army. Slaves Is there some sort of like slave squad because that fights on the battlefield (Like the skavenslaves have or the dark eldar have grotesques or the orc and the ogre kindom slave giant) if so All i need to do is scar the sword masters, replace there swords for bits of wood or a stick or justsomthing they looked klike they picked off the floor, add chain around there legs and volla i got a cheap and cheerful slavery unit. So is it allowed?
Also Daemonettes, online I keep looking at tactics (librarium online is my source at the moment) and it says a cult of slannesh dark elf army can include daemonettes is this true or does it mean just an allied force?

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

in the army book there is no such thing available, it's probably something really really old back in some edition of the DE army book. You could turn the HE models into slaves indeed, I know a skaven guy who uses night goblins as his slaves.

I also just had a look at the IoB sprues, and it's not going to fun at all, converting HE models into DE ones....

Though the swordmaster do look like executioners, being plastic means they can easily be modified futher :D :roll:

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Tomj8937 wrote:Slaves Is there some sort of like slave squad because that fights on the battlefield (Like the skavenslaves have or the dark eldar have grotesques or the orc and the ogre kindom slave giant) if so All i need to do is scar the sword masters, replace there swords for bits of wood or a stick or justsomthing they looked klike they picked off the floor, add chain around there legs and volla i got a cheap and cheerful slavery unit. So is it allowed?

Unfortunately, we do not have any slave regiments.

Also Daemonettes, online I keep looking at tactics (librarium online is my source at the moment) and it says a cult of slannesh dark elf army can include daemonettes is this true or does it mean just an allied force?

Not anymore. In 6th edition, there was an alternate DE army list, which you could use to play the Cult of Pleasure. That ist probably what you read/heard about.

Bye
Thanee
Tomj8937
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tomj8937 »

Damn. Ah well ok then.

Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Well, to be honest and after small brainstorm I believe it is more Painting & Modelling topic. I think You'll get more feedback there. So I'm moving it to P&M.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Anything directly DE related is definitely better than converting HE in to DE. Especially the IoB HE, which I kind of regret ordering now zzzz... Even if I successfully modify the griffon into a manticore, i still could had gotten an actual model for much cheaper... siiiigh...damn gw staff talking me into it lol.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Rogue-gladiator
Dark Rider

Post by Rogue-gladiator »

Meteor wrote:Anything directly DE related is definitely better than converting HE in to DE. Especially the IoB HE, which I kind of regret ordering now zzzz... Even if I successfully modify the griffon into a manticore, i still could had gotten an actual model for much cheaper... siiiigh...damn gw staff talking me into it lol.

It would take some time, but I think the griffin to manticore conversion may not be that hard, depending on the size of it. Take a lion head from the high elf range, lop off the griffin head, and do a head swap (assuming the size looks reasonable). Sculpt some mane to cover up some of the feathers, and shave off the rest. Sculpt more mane over that, or musculature if you are up to it.

Dunno what to do about the front claws though, they're a bit ridiculous.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Rogue-Gladiator wrote:Dunno what to do about the front claws though, they're a bit ridiculous.

indeed they are. they're my biggest concern in fact, because I don't know what to use as a starting point for paws :cry:

But thanks for the suggestions thus far, at least I know I'm on the right track with the work ahead :D

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Kython
Shade

Post by Kython »

I'm goind to help a friend of mine out by taking the HE half. he's getting into skaven and I'm giving him 30 euros towards the set.
I think the conversions will be relatively easy. i'm making a gs mould of a HE lion face,press some GS into that and you get a face without having to buy the lions (if you have a friend that owns one of course, as I do, if you havent then you might as well sculpt one yourself, not that hard) and I have some carnosaur claws lying around that will, with a little greenstuff, become the paws. I'll replace the swordmasters' swords with bloodletter ones and resculpt the chainmail. Don't know what to do with the spearheads of the sea guard though but except that they look ok. And if you just sculpt robes over the ellyrians' armour you have dark riders. and that's quite good for 30 euros (you can get one box of spears for that) you can get cheap GS on the interwebs if you're gonna do extensive resculpting on them.
I, master of my dominion
You live because I allow it
You die because I demand it
All are subjects to my will

These are the worlds I create
I rise, thy fall
Myself above all
These are the worlds I create

I have become death
Destroyer of worlds
Detesting all life
Vanguard of your demise

Tomj8937
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tomj8937 »

Ive got my mates army now but while im at games day im gunna get another island of blood, get it signed, sell skaven and convert the high elves. Siemples.

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Looking at the Griffin in my hot little hands ( 8) ), I don't think the claws are overly long. The problem is that they are overly thin.

They look more like stork legs than eagle claws to me. :?
Tomj8937
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tomj8937 »

are they easily convertible or not? wanna know for a counts as character on manticore.