Finecast, your thoughts?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Draaka
Slave on the Altar

Finecast, your thoughts?

Post by Draaka »

I saw there was a finecast thread already, but it is all pre-release rumours so I thought a aftermath thread was in order.

So, what are your thoughts? You seen any in the flesh as it were? Painted or modelled any? What were your experiences?

Here is my first little review.

I managed to pick up a Draigo and Librarian Terminator for my new greyknights army on day of release. First off, the store was packed, tonnes of people went down and most the popular stuff sold out in minutes. Don't know if this was the country wide plan, but my store only got three of each mini, and a few minis we didn't get any of. Fortunately I got their early because the two models I wanted (draigo and librarian termy) sold out in the first three customers. Pretty much everything from the dark eldar, greyknights, tombkings, empire, IG, marines, high elves, orcs, orks, blood angels, chaos (fantasy & 40K) sold out in the first two hours.

Now the packaging is interesting, the design of the insert, with a big clear picture of what is inside and a nice square flat (not slanted like previous blisters) view, merge to create a very pleasing product when on the shelf, od that so much effort has gone into getting a nice design when they will be mail order only as soon as the store runs out of release day product. However one kid managed to open his finger trying to get into the blisterpack, I found the easiest way is to just cut three edges off the top of the blister and just slide the sprues out.

The staff member assured me that the resin, if filed or scraped it wouldn't be completely toxic like the forgeworld resin. Also that it may snap or break but won't shatter like forgeworld stuff has a tendancy to do, it should be a clean easily repairable break.

As for the models themselves, the first thing I noticed was that the crispness of the lines and edges were amazing, the second thing I noticed was that the detail was so much clearer (like the writing on draigo's armour and shield - I painted my friends metal one a few weeks back and the difference was noticeable before I even cut him off the sprue) the tubing on the librarians warhammer and armour seemed to have better texture. Putting them together was a snap, they clipped out easily and glued together like a dream, a lot more flash and such to remove from the mini, but I didn't find any mold lines to speak of. Now it should be said here that while I was very happy with the quality of my figures, my friend sat next to me who had purchased the same two models as me as well as abadon didn't fare so well. The end of his librarians staff was just the bottom half of an eagle with a popped bubble where the head and wing tips should be, also his draigo had so many holes and bubbles it looked like it had taken a squadron of leman russ punishers head on.

I think the real test of these new miniatures is whether the amazing quality will stay the same in six months time after the molds have seen some use. It's hard to tell how good a mass cast product will be from the first run of casts, only time will tell. If I am still getting the craftsmanship I got from my first two minis in six months or a year I will be very glad - if a little surprised.

As for painting, the spraypaint (armypainter's bone spray) dried almost instantaneously making the whole spraying time much quicker as I could move the model to do a different angle in a matter of 2-10 seconds as opposed to waiting 40-90 seconds for most metal figures. This might not sound like much, but I would imagine if you did a whole squad of 10+ minis this would be quite the time saver, as I really hate having to take half an hour or more just to undercoat a squad of metal minis. (I am quite thorough with my undercoating). The actual painting of the miniature was no different to any plastic or metal mini I have had before, with the exception that because the detail was much sharper, ink washes and drybrush techniques stood out sooooooooooo much better.

Other things of note were, the staff and power sword of my minis are incredibly bendable, but stay strong and rigid and always bounce back into place (obviously they won't take constant bending and pressure, but the occasional knock won't completely bend or snap like it would with metal of plastic).

The guy who bought Azhag the slaughter managed to get the whole thing together in under half an hour without a single pin vice in sight, same with the hive tyrant someone bought. As anyone who has gone near a metal dragon or large metal 'nid will know, this is no easy feat. I saw the Azhag a few days later in a game, and it hadn't fallen apart once, even through someone managed to drop it off the table it bounced.

In summary, finecast, overall a much better modelling experience than the old metal, I am disappointed but not surprised at the price rise, if the quality of casting doesn't fade with time then GW have really put themselves onto a winner, however if in time the quality of the molds deteriorates to the old quality then GW have accomplished nothing of any value, also start practising filling bubbles and re-sculpting details, but won't be as many massive gaps in horses and other large models that comes with two halves of a torso.

What are your thoughts?
Ah Twilight, the romantic tale of one teenage girls struggle in the choice between necrophilia and bestiality.
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

I'm quite pleased with the models I got: Commander Dante, Astorath the Grim and Mannfred von Carstein. Incredible detail and very little to clean off!

Didn't time it, but assembling the three models took less than 15 mins due to no need of pinning! Only Mannfred's sword had bent a little, but a dunk in warm water for a while helped (like all older gamers who've bought Forge World stuff know :) )

I also liked the new packaging (Clamp packs, I think, is the GW term for them. Really good as it showed what you would get a lot better than the old blisters. A great improvement in my opinion!

As for the toxic part of resin: You would have to inhale a LOT of it for it to actually affect you, even the Forge World stuff. The reason it says that use a breath mask is that if you are allergic to the stuff or something, you won't get a reaction... If you have no problem with it, you'd have to inhale industry-use amounts of the dust for it to show... But no, there's no problem with the new Finecast range in this regard (had a long chat with the manager at the store on the material in question) :)

I like the new range. It's a nice refreshment from always having to re-do the painting over paint chips on metal models :)

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Saladinakara
Slave on the Altar

Post by Saladinakara »

I ordered myself the LoTR Fellowship set in Finecast - My metal DE bolt thrower arrived the day before it was announced as Finecast, and I needed a couple of pots of paint. So, to make sure I got free delivery, I ordered the set (really, I just wanted to see what the Finecast models were like) to have as a show-piece.

First impressions were mixed to be honest. The detailing on the models is sharp, clear and I am really looking forward to painting them. However, something about the new resin felt a little cheap - almost like it's soft, that's the best way to describe it. Also, with flash etc, the models felt like the metal models I have bought previously - especially around the feet. I've been lucky to not have any discernible bubbles on my models, but had a few mould lines - we're all used to those though.

My only major gripe is on the Legolas model as the rock detail under his cloak seems a little deformed, but hopefully some knife work will fix that.

Overall, I am impressed with the models. The extra cost isn't something I'm overly bothered about, so that isn't an issue for me. The real test, of course, will come when I paint the models.

Can't wait, to be honest! :)
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

I like them a lot... a LOT.

It does, however, seem that I'm in the minority of receiving models without airbubbles/mould material still on the model/miscasts.
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Until I see a side-by-side comparison, on the GW website, of a resin and metal model next to each other, undercoated, with the resin model showing obviously improved detail, I will flatly refuse to believe the whole thing is anything other than the Emperor's New Clothes (ie. a blatant con). But GW have avoided showing any comparison at all - they just say "look how awesome resin is!!!!" and hope people assume it's actually an improvement. (C'mon, seriously. You've really not wondered why they only ever show the resin models on their own, instead of side-by-side with the equivalent metal? Really? Surely that would be the ultimate way to prove resin is a revolution... if in fact it is?)

The detail on your Draigo looked clearer? Probably because resin is a diffuse grey whereas metal is shiny silver, there is no other reason why there would be a difference because they are both produced from the same original master sculpt. Undercoat both and see if you honestly still see a difference.

Metal hasn't secretly been rubbish all these years but no-one's ever noticed, and resin isn't some magical material that can magically add detail to something that never had detail in the first place. What might be possible is that in future, models can be sculpted to take advantage of the properties of resin compared to metal. But it is not possible for a perfect reproduction in resin to be better than a perfect reproduction in metal - they are both perfect reproductions of the same thing!

By pretending resin is doing something it's not capable of doing, GW are treating their customers like fools. Some of them are falling for it, by the sounds of things. Oh, and they raised all the prices even though the material is cheaper, just to add insult to injury. Unbelievable.

(In case you'd not gathered... I'm not a fan).
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

You're missing out a key fact here, and it's amused me that a lot of people continue to do this, and 'hate' the resin concept without having seen this side-by-side comparison for themselves.

Simple fact: metal, when it cools, shrinks. In addition, metal entering a mould will 'shrink' around detail as these are the places where the least metal will gather and cool quickest.

2nd simple fact: resin cools differently, and doesn't shrink to the same degree because of the way it cools.

Thus, using the same mould, resin fills it differently and retains more qualty of details (in edges and depressions) than metal.

So, where does this leave us? It leaves us with people (ironically named) not having Finecast models which they can compare themselves making this comparison anyway, and choosing not to believe those people who have compared exactly that?

It has shocked me how many haters there are purely based on stupid facts they're attaching to the Finecast move (like a price rise wasn't inevitable anyway).

Are we saying metal has been rubbish? No.

Are we saying quality control could have been better on the Finecast release? Yes.

Is it revolutionary? No.

Did GW hype it up? Yes, because they're a company selling a product - they all do it.

Should you have all the facts before you post denegrating a product you haven't compared for yourself? Yes.

Neither the finecast product, OR the metal product, are 'perfect reproductions' - but the Finecast, to my eye is a better reproduction.
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

FaeLi-N wrote:Should you have all the facts before you post denegrating a product you haven't compared for yourself? Yes.

So I should spend too much money on a vastly overpriced model that (from all the many, many photos) I cannot see as being any better, just to be able to conclude it's not any better?

That's a ludicrous suggestion. Or perhaps I can sell you some magic beans?

Neither the finecast product, OR the metal product, are 'perfect reproductions' - but the Finecast, to my eye is a better reproduction.

Really? Really? Even GW don't dare show a comparison side by side because they know there's no visible difference. Or perhaps you have a photo that shows this mythical improvement in quality?
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Bitterman wrote:
FaeLi-N wrote:Should you have all the facts before you post denegrating a product you haven't compared for yourself? Yes.

So I should spend too much money on a vastly overpriced model that (from all the many, many photos) I cannot see as being any better, just to be able to conclude it's not any better?

That's a ludicrous suggestion. Or perhaps I can sell you some magic beans?

Really? Really? Even GW don't dare show a comparison side by side because they know there's no visible difference. Or perhaps you have a photo that shows this mythical improvement in quality?

http://www.totalwargamer.co.uk/blog/?p=1342

I'll at some point be getting the assassin model (a price rise of £0.70 isn't much in my opinion) and if it can actually have the blood drips from the weapon by the cloak visable on the model (which my metal version doesn't have) i'll be happy.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Seriously? Are you going to try and defend the argument that you provided eariler when specifically saying you've not seen these? A bit obtuse don't you think?

Several people who've got hold of good-quality Finecast materials have posted them online and been received well, and some people don't have the capacity to see that there could be an increase in quality which surprises me, and shocks me, because it's a poor attitude.

Did I say you should spend money? No, but thanks for interpreting it that way. Take a metal model that you own and go into the shop and compare it to the unopened pack of a Finecast model. Until YOU have seen the models side-by-side how can you POSSIBLY know? In fact, you don't even need to take your own model - just GO AND SEE.

Fair play, maybe you don't like it for some other reason. Some other who have stated that the resin holds more detail have said quite openly that they feel the models are too soft and have to be cleaned more delicately than the metal, some say they miss the weight of the metal models and that the actual material isn't to their liking.

YOUR argument is baseless.

Are GW hiding away comparisons? Did they ever even intend on having comparisons visible? Probably not, as I have said in numerous other places the detail is 'crisper' (haha, people on WhineSeer go mental when you say that) but it's the 'same' model... it has no ADDITIONAL details, it's just that the QUALITY of detail is better, so what is there to show off? They might avoid showing it because (as I said clearly above) it's not 'revolutionary' and IS, at the end of the day, very similar to metal.

Another reason they might not want to show it is the fact that a lot of them are miscasts (as you've no doubt seen) so I hope they're sorting that out as soon as possible and focusing on more important things than taking photos of things that people could see for themselves if they could be bothered.

I have seen these, and stand by the fact that the quality of detail is better. On other forums people (like you) who also haven't seen any of the models continue to criticise them with no proof other than the bad casts posted online (and we all know that people moan about the bad far more enthusiastically than they praise the good, although I have been trying).

Other people have seen these models and said the same. You haven't seen them and yet are moaning about it. Doesn't take a whole lot of intellectual effort to see who most people might tend to listen to.

I won't buy your magical beans because although I haven't seen them, I don't believe they are beans.
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

[edit] Never mind. It's not worth the trouble to argue.

The side by side picture someone linked a couple of posts back says all I'd need to say. I don't need to buy a model that bad to be able to hold the opinion that it's bad.

Those of you who are satisfied with resin: more power to you. It's not for me to try to convince you otherwise. [/edit]
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Bitterman wrote:Never mind. It's not worth the trouble to argue.

The side by side picture someone linked a couple of posts back says all I'd need to say. I don't need to buy a model that bad to be able to hold the opinion that it's bad.

Those of you who are satisfied with resin: more power to you. It's not for me to try to convince you otherwise.

While I understand your reasoning that a silver metal reflects and thus makes it harder for the detail to be seen, so seeing undercoated miniatures would be better, I also cannot see how you think the resin model looks worse. The wrapping on the shaft of the weapon looks a lot more detailed on the resin one though. As for bubbles popping, if the models come in clear packaging at least you can see which ones to avoid.

One thing that does spring to mind though. If you open a pack to find the model pretty disfigured by bubbles, will GW exchange it for a better one?
Brennan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Brennan »

FaeLi-N wrote:I won't buy your magical beans because although I haven't seen them, I don't believe they are beans.

Classic.

Im waiting for my assassin to arrive, I have the old metal one sitting, undercoated, on a shelf.

I shall compare the two (undercoated) and post a pik up when it gets here.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Aye, over on one of the other forums someone had said that despite GW starting a policy of having models sent back, they've now resumed the policy of just sending out full replacements...

I'm sorry if I was being a bit offensive in getting my point acorss, I just wanted it clear that, almost (despite not being a fanboy as some have indicated), seeing is believing.
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Kinslayer wrote:While I understand your reasoning that a silver metal reflects and thus makes it harder for the detail to be seen, so seeing undercoated miniatures would be better, I also cannot see how you think the resin model looks worse. The wrapping on the shaft of the weapon looks a lot more detailed on the resin one though.

Try the other photo... whole model, not just the wrapping on the axe haft (which I really believe would look identical if they were both cleaned up and undercoated, instead of raw). There's great chunks missing from the resin version!

I'm not going to continue arguing because that photo says more than I ever could. If that article (offered in response to a request for evidence that resin is better, and apparently written by a guy without an agenda afaict?) is the best there is, or even just typical... then yeah, I feel able to hold an opinion without actually buying the magic beans.

Brennan: genuinely looking forward to the comparison pic. Both cleaned up and undercoated will be genuinely interesting.

FaeLi-N: not offensive, not to me anyway, no apology required. Sorry if I went too far myself. I just really believe GW are offering the emperor's new clothes and am staggered by the number of people who seem to be taking them at their word, when I've yet to see any evidence of an improvement (which would be bad enough with a 20% price hike), and lots of evidence of not being as good. But if that's what people are thinking, well, that's up to them...
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I also think photos can only go so far... You'd be better off holding one of each miniature in your hand and visually seeing the differences there before your eyes.

And hey, you don't have to buy anything Bitterman, just take a look next time you're near a GW store.
Saladinakara
Slave on the Altar

Post by Saladinakara »

I know I've already given my first impressions, but I'd like to put a different spin on the debate here re metal vs Finecast resin...

I've not been in the position to have identical models side-by-side in both versions, so my impressions have been based on the overall feel of the models' detail. Bitterman makes a very good point about the metal models being shiner, making it harder to tell the difference in detail.

I did undercoat my Gandalf Finecast model, though, and have to stand by my opinion that the detail is much finer on the resin models.

Now, for my twist... Flash etc is something everyone has had to deal with. And the little metal bits that curl around the model's detail is a nightmare!! I have spent ten minutes before, just trying to find them all, only to find even more when I start painting.

The resin models I have lack this in such quantity, and the flash etc is much easier to identify and cut off. If the rest of the range is similar then I think this could save a lot of time when putting models together.

And that's worth an extra quid or so in my opinion.

I guess I have been lucky to not have any problems with bubbles ridding me of model parts. This is an issue that's been raised and discussed on the GW blog though. A dot of superglue should fill most holes. Of course, problems arise when a lot of detail (like that chaos model) is missing.

GW definitely need to fix this problem, and I also hope they are willing to exchange models that have major faults. Sure, some people won't mind - those who do lots of green stuff work anyway.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

There is nothing GW could do to solve the problem. Resin simply does that sometimes. I don't doubt they would replace anything scufty if you asked them nicely. Over the counter.

By the way, I am watching this topic. No silly buggers. Hear?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

Side-by-side primed detail comparison on TWF here:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87915

I can't seen any significant difference in the detail on the primed models myself.

I tend to be suspicious of Finecast because of all the photo-backed horror stories of miscasts I've seen, the unwarranted price hike and the drawbacks to resin as a substance (fragility, potential health hazards from inhaling the dust, etc.).

Whether those drawbacks will dissuade me from making a purchase when GW sees fit to release new resin never-in-metal Dark Elf models remains to be seen...
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Maybe these are from a later production run but all of the finecast models I looked at in my local GW today, I could not see a single bubble in any of them. Maybe we are just lucky but I am happy with what I have seen in the flesh so far.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Heldrak wrote:Side-by-side primed detail comparison on TWF here:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87915

I can't seen any significant difference in the detail on the primed models myself.

The only "difference" I could see was the rune on his forehead, and it seems that's just because of the angles of the models and the relative light source.

Other than that there is no visible difference between resin and metal. Well worth the extra 20%...?
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

I reckon the ease of cleaning up and putting the model together has to be worth something, not 20% but still something.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

Deroth wrote:I reckon the ease of cleaning up and putting the model together has to be worth something, not 20% but still something.

Ease of assembly is a valuable commodity, but I am not convinced that a Finecast model is easier to assemble than a metal model. Anything that's cast in a two-part mould is going to have mould lines, metal or resin. Anything that has fragile small connections that will be subjected to the rigors of gaming will need to be pinned.

It is often easier to file a mould line off than to slice or scrape it and while I'm sure it's easier to drill resin than metal, this is outweighed by the overall fragility of the resin and the potential toxicity of the dust produced by filing it.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

How about the fact that, being slighty pourous, the resin models are less likely to chip and require constant touching up. They'll also be lighter so there's less chance of them falling over.
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

On the other hand:
How about the loss of the possibility of decolouring them?
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Kuanor wrote:On the other hand:
How about the loss of the possibility of decolouring them?

You can't strip resin? This may be the deal breaker for me, especially in the future as I really like buying from ebay for conversions.