New sorceress model

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

New sorceress model

Post by Lion of flanders »

Hey all:

I'd put this on the Storm o Magic thread, but I can't seem to find it.

Looks like the new sorceress model is sculpted by Brian Nelson, who I think is pure genius as a sculptor.

...and as a bonus, from the look of the photo in WD, she doesn't look anything like an Orc! :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Not that impressed myself. I mean, it's nice enough in its own right, and everything, but not as good as any of the existing Sorceresses on foot.

Also slightly surprised to find it's in plastic... I thought "Finecast" (spit) was the future? I mean, if it's a good sculpt it doesn't much matter either way, but this just seems like a mixed message from GW, is all.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

"Finecast" is to replace metal not everything.

As for the sculpt I agree with Lion of Flanders, I reckon it is a sweet mini, much better than any of our current foot sorceresses.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

- :roll:
Last edited by faeli-n on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Deroth wrote:"Finecast" is to replace metal not everything.

I realise that, but typically character models have generally been metal. Hence I expected these character models to be metal, or resin that is now replacing metal - especially as they're talking about Finecast supposedly introducing a new era in model making, one would have thought they would be keen to use the new material.

That's why I was a bit surprised to find that these character models are plastic.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

A lot of characters in sets, like isle of blood,have come in plastic so maybe if it is plastic there will be a storm of magic box?

What do you guys think?
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Deroth wrote:A lot of characters in sets, like isle of blood,have come in plastic so maybe if it is plastic there will be a storm of magic box?

What do you guys think?

I don't think this is very likely, but it's not impossible... I'm just basing that on the fact that a lot of the models so far (DE Dragon/Cockatrice/All sorcerors on foot) and accessories (Dice, buildings) have been confirmed as individual boxes, and the purpose of the boxes is to get figures (i.e. HE Lord on Griffon) that you can't buy seperately...

I think it's more likely they'll consider volume of sales and do book and models seperately.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Ah, if things have been confirmed as individual boxes already ignore my random speculations :P
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Seems to me the new sorceress on foot looks alot like the base character class in the WHFB video game thing. Or a healthier version of the avatar of war sculpt. I could be wrong either way, but it does look like a good pose for future conversion work.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Lazarus wrote:Seems to me the new sorceress on foot looks alot like the base character class in the WHFB video game thing. Or a healthier version of the avatar of war sculpt. I could be wrong either way, but it does look like a good pose for future conversion work.

That's rather what I thought. As for the plastic Vs finecast thing, I'll bet that much of the issue currently is simply timing as GW is in a transitional period to finecast and this will be the sort of thing that will be finecast in the future. Also, the figure was made as the on foot counterpart to a multipart plastic mounted character kit, thus it made sense to make a plastic mold.

Someone referenced "our other foot sorceress". Do we have another besides;
1. Chris Fitzpatrick's brilliant "Morathai"
2. That weird emaciated swirly thing

Am I missing another?
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Kalath'n'dhar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kalath'n'dhar »

Lion of Flanders wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Seems to me the new sorceress on foot looks alot like the base character class in the WHFB video game thing. Or a healthier version of the avatar of war sculpt. I could be wrong either way, but it does look like a good pose for future conversion work.

That's rather what I thought. As for the plastic Vs finecast thing, I'll bet that much of the issue currently is simply timing as GW is in a transitional period to finecast and this will be the sort of thing that will be finecast in the future. Also, the figure was made as the on foot counterpart to a multipart plastic mounted character kit, thus it made sense to make a plastic mold.

Someone referenced "our other foot sorceress". Do we have another besides;
1. Chris Fitzpatrick's brilliant "Morathai"
2. That weird emaciated swirly thing

Am I missing another?

Yup that's all we currently have ;-)

The new sculpt looks good, I'm a little concerned about the stomach and the face but I'll just wait to see more pictures/the mini in real life to get a better idea... Are we sure it will be a plastic set ? I remember reading somewhere in the past that the plastic heroes set were kind of a "commercial failure" for GW ?
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

From what I can tell in the few photographs that I have seen, the new foot Sorceress seems perfectly acceptable, although I like to reserve judgement until I see a figure in real life.

I'll be thankful if she's plastic, rather than resin as I'm trying to avoid the whole resin issue for as long as possible and I quite like the various recent generations of plastic Elf-types (Island of Blood, Dark Eldar, etc.).

It will be nice to have our own dedicated all-plastic Dragon with choice of riders and other goodies.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Heldrak wrote:
I'll be thankful if she's plastic, rather than resin as I'm trying to avoid the whole resin issue for as long as possible and I quite like the various recent generations of plastic Elf-types (Island of Blood, Dark Eldar, etc.).

It will be nice to have our own dedicated all-plastic Dragon with choice of riders and other goodies.
Definately in plastic, as per the white dwarf picture.

Looks better than my Avatars of War sorceress.

I'm not a fan of the dragon compared to the High Elf dragon. Much more dynamic and interesting pose. Plus...it's 8th edition. Who wants a monster modelled upright when cannons and stone throwers are as good as they are vs monsters? I love the riders though. They look great.

The manticore and the chimera are just plain vile models, but the terrain and cockatrice look good. I'd like to see the cockatrice up close to see if it could be converted into a mount for a master. :twisted:
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really like this mini...It could be better, but it´s a really nice improvement from the other 2 sorc on foot (the really really old Morathi and the awful model in the putty whirlwinf).

and really Prefer it being in plastic than finecast, easy to convert and cheaper...
Death before dishonor
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I agree this sculpt looks better than any other foot sorceresses we have in the current range. I have always used the Cauldron Death Hag as a foot sorceress, and am looking forward to picking up this new one when it comes out.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Blacklotus
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Blacklotus »

Best DE sorc scuplt to date imo. well GW scuplt.
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Good times for DE players.
Two nice DE sorceresses with the SoW release...
... and Mantic Games about to release their own DE miniatures:

Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Two? You mean the dragon riding one?

Anyway, the new Mantic one you linked looks great! O.O
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

SOme days Mantic is right on the money. That is an AWESOME DE Sorceress!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

phierlihy wrote:SOme days Mantic is right on the money. That is an AWESOME DE Sorceress!

That is an impressive figure. After Mantic botched their High Elves so badly I didn't hold out much hope for a Dark Elf line from them, but that one is something that I would buy. Would make a nice Cauldron Hag too, if you didn't want to go the Sorceress route with it.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Yep, I just found my Cauldron hag! 8)
Meraklis
Trainee Warrior

Post by Meraklis »

Vulcan wrote:Yep, I just found my Cauldron hag! 8)

I think so too :P
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Hmmm...

Maybe it's the angle, maybe it's the paint job, but she doesn't look very evil for me. I mean she has a bloody heart in her hand and she kinda looks like a hot 2nd grade teacher.

I'll reserve judgement until I can see the figure from a few angles and see a different paint job.
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

I like the DE sorceress myself, sculpt and pose are rather good.
The mantic sorceress is rather good looking too, but i think it is...a tad too much not so generic. I am not familiar with other mantic stuff, but i think both GW and the WAR developers might very well sue them...oh, their problems :)
I hold a banner drenched in blood, I urge you to be brave
I lead you to your destiny, I lead you to your grave
Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown
For I am Khaine, the god of war, and I will cut you down.