(PLOG) Saori's Dark Force

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

(PLOG) Saori's Dark Force

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Hi guys
This is my PLOG!! :) which i have been meaning to do for ages, and finally been inspired to do so, due to the WIP of my latest models to my army, including a conversion of Crone Hellebron!
Thought I'd share with you some photos of my army/models. Please feel free to comment and leave feed back, which will be much appreciated.

Saori
:twisted:

WIP Crone Hellebron:

I found this Reaper model and thought it would be perfect. I got rid of the staff and
added knifes instead. I liked the old witch elf model with the BIG hair so extended her hair and added a head piece.
All i need now is a cool base...
Apologies for links, images being stubborn and not resizing :(
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82 ... 1_0039.jpg
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82 ... 1_0041.jpg
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82 ... 1_0040.jpg
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Kython
Shade

Post by Kython »

I like the model. it looks nice and feral without losing its elvishness. The pose is less dynamic than other witch elf models though, but if you want her to command her troops forwards instead of leading them into close combat, I guess it would work. How are you going to represent her magic weapons?
I'm not sure toadstools go well with dark elves, unless you want to add them to the witchbrew :P , but that may just be my general dislike for mushrooms.
I think you shouldn't have painted over the head, as it's really hard to see what you've done with it in the pictures. Looks to me as if you've given her a corsair helmet crest on the forehead.
I, master of my dominion
You live because I allow it
You die because I demand it
All are subjects to my will

These are the worlds I create
I rise, thy fall
Myself above all
These are the worlds I create

I have become death
Destroyer of worlds
Detesting all life
Vanguard of your demise

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Yes it was a corsair crest, which i think im going to change.

Toadstools n elves go well in most fantasy stories, n seem more evil than flowers, n leaves lol (May just be my girlie-ness coming out there tho lol)
I thought the whole 'poisonous mushroom' thing would go well with the witch elves, n the knifes and posture are more 'sacrificial' than the typical aggressive witch elf pose, which goes considering her age. Maybe she is so evil and to be feared that she does not need much to show it hence her more 'general' stance, i would rather show her with the elegance and wisdom of her character's age, which hides her true aggressive nature.
Image Image Image

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Army Lord:

ImageImage
Image Image Image

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

WIP COKs:

Still WIP, but heres a 'sample':
Image Image Image

Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

I like the yellow cold ones, different than what you normally see. Contrasts nicely with the darker color of the riders as well.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

There's a lot of differnt colours going on there. I think you need to trip the pallette on the riders a bit.

I like the Cold Ones. Bravo for not following the usual colour scheme on them!!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

thenick18 wrote:I like the yellow cold ones, different than what you normally see. Contrasts nicely with the darker color of the riders as well.

Thanks :) yes that was exactly what i was hoping for, and it will stand out as the rest of my army is mostly blues like the riders. :)
Image Image Image

Duranis
Warrior

Post by Duranis »

Really love your colour scheme. COK's look great and agree that the yellow and white works really well. I also like the look of the blue/white cold one your sorc is on too though.

Good conversation work on the Reaper figure. They do make some great mini's that work really well in a DE army.
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Great work, nice colour on ur cold ones

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Saori_Nightstar wrote:Yes it was a corsair crest, which i think im going to change.

Toadstools n elves go well in most fantasy stories, n seem more evil than flowers, n leaves lol (May just be my girlie-ness coming out there tho lol)

I like the mushrooms, they probably line the banks of those underground rivers the Dark Elves keep tripping over.

The figure is nice too, her pose can't be too dynamic or she would fall off the mushroom :)
"Luck is the residue of design"
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Duranis wrote:I also like the look of the blue/white cold one your sorc is on too though.

The blue/white one was a tester for the dragon in the background. I wanted a sleek ice dragon for my sorceress. so thought i'd test the colours on a smaller model first.
Thanks guys
Cant w8 to finish and get a photo of the whole army together.
Image Image Image

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Shades WIP:

Nearly done, just weapons and face's left to do, and the odd highlights.

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82 ... 0_0058.jpg
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I have to say I am not a big fan of the color scheme. I think you are using too many colors.

For example, on the cold-one knights unit the lizards themselves look really solid and well-executed. If I had yellow-tan cold-ones like that, I would have knights on top of them with probably a 3-color scheme designed to complement the color of the cold-ones. One main color for big areas of cloth, a second but related color for smaller bits of cloth (wraps, sashes and the like), and then third color for the armor. Neutral browns, grays and blacks would be used for leather belts and bags, weapon hafts, etc.

But your knights have a whole bunch of non-neutral colors -- red, blue, purple, green & aqua in addition to the yellow of the lizards they are riding. It's all a bit overwhelming. I think you have some good basic brush skills, but you should plan more and it would help to learn a bit about color theory. In my opinion, the best-looking armies are those that use a limited color palate to achieve a strong, cohesive look.

Also, why are the shades on round bases?
Truly These are the End Times ...
Duranis
Warrior

Post by Duranis »

Saori_Nightstar wrote:
Duranis wrote:I also like the look of the blue/white cold one your sorc is on too though.

The blue/white one was a tester for the dragon in the background. I wanted a sleek ice dragon for my sorceress. so thought i'd test the colours on a smaller model first.
Thanks guys
Cant w8 to finish and get a photo of the whole army together.

Is there any chance of getting some photos of these? I have been thinking about using a similar scheme on my hydra (now I have finally managed to get it to stay in 1 piece :) ). From what I can see of them in the background they look really good.
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Dyvim Tvar wrote:Also, why are the shades on round bases?

Why not!?!?
They are Skirmishers - and just look nicer IMO.
Image Image Image

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Saori_Nightstar wrote:Why not!?!?
They are Skirmishers - and just look nicer IMO.

Because even skirmishers have to rank up when in combat, and the round bases are a bit big for that (25mm round versus 20mm square).
Truly These are the End Times ...
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

@Dyvim Tvar: you will still know who is attacking who!

@Duranis: yes i will post some soon. just painting it atm so when its at a reasonable stage will get the camera out :) i so want the hydra, but man has it gone up in price lol
Image Image Image

Duranis
Warrior

Post by Duranis »

I think the price hike on the hydra is because it went from metal to fine cast. Having spent hours pinning the metal one and trying 3 different types of glue to get it to stay together I would say it is worth the extra money for something you can just glue together in a few minutes :)

Can't wait to see the photos.
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

UPDATE: Apologies for photos not being very clear (photoboth not re-sizing properly), does not show up all the detail on the scales or cloak but u get an idea :)

MALUS DARKBLADE:
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

HELLEBRON WIP
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

SHADES
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

SORCERESS ON COLD ONE:
This was a tester model for my Dragon, Im going to do an ICE Dragon n wanted to test some colours on a smaller model first.
Image Image

(for Duranis - Dragon pics coming soon)
Image Image Image

Handsome jack
Executioner

Post by Handsome jack »

love the shades
handsome jack
Duranis
Warrior

Post by Duranis »

Looking good.

Really love what you have done with the reaper model and the paint job looks like it is coming on really well! Will you be leaving the eyes white like that? It looks really quite good. I might have to have a look for this model and steal your idea if you dont mind :)

Malus looks good too. Some nice blending on the sword especially.