gluing metal

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Druchiinoob
Shade

gluing metal

Post by Druchiinoob »

Well I got my 15 blackguard through the post on friday and have assembled them today and what a pain in the backside it was. For some reason the glue would not stick them to the bases but would stick to me.

Anyone else have trouble using super glue with metal models?
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

the latest GW super glue is terrible for metal models, their older formula wasn't much better.
Other then buying better super glue, another thing I would suggest is water. Put the glue on one of the surfaces, and water on the other surface its going to connect to. the water will force the glue to cure faster. It's not the strongest bond, but it is more likely to hold and you don't have to sit there for 5 minutes waiting for it to dry.
you can also do the same trick with greenstuff instead of water, but I only recommend this for joints, not bases.

hope this helps.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Try to ensure that when you glue you put the model in logical positions that use gravity or props to hold your pieces in place while they dry.

Try to glue pieces into the best logical position (e.g. try to get an arm into an arm socket pushed as far in as it will go, and don't try to go for a more ambitious pose that doesn't let you get the arm in just as well).

Don't be afraid to use lots of glue and to try repeatedly. Sometimes it helps to place glue around the edge of the pieces too, sealing them in, although this can make your models look a little bit more ugly (as the dried glue will be visible after drying).

It sometimes helps a little too wait for a short while (30 seconds or so) after applying the glue to allow it to go a little bit tacky, and then place the glued pieces together.

Always ensure to only glue one piece at a time, never try to be ambitious and do more than one, unless you are certain that the previous drying piece has either set very well or will definitely not be affected by the new piece you are trying to put in.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

a good tip when you want the glue to set faster:

do not use too much glue, and put the pieces together so both surfaces are covered in glue. now pull them apart and breathe on the glue a few times. the moisture in your breath will speed up the cross linking (curing) process of the glue. put the pieces back together and usually the glue sets in less than 10 seconds.
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

I prefer metal over "finecast" and im using GW super glue all the time and i dont have any bad experience with it. Well the only bad experience is, like a half of the glue dried in the bottle most of the times :(

Other than that, make sure both pieces connects on as large area as possible. Small areas just wont do. Use small amount of glue, since lots of glue will a) make weaker bond since the super glue can connect anything but is quite fragile b) it will take more time to cure since more glue = more dissolving agent. If you use too much you will have that particular problem you are describing.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Pin everything. Most of my models are stuck together with pins and PVA or epoxy glue, and they never come apart.
"Luck is the residue of design"