Painting competitions

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Painting competitions

Post by Kefka »

I remember a few years back (3 or 4 years) we had those monthly painting competitions run by my good friend Kinslayer. Every month there was a different challenge (chariots, monsters, etc.) and the users voted on a winner.
I was wondering, is there any interest in starting this back up? I have gotten back into this forum, but sadly, I have not gotten back into painting. Although I have had an account here for as long as I have had a DE army, I have never fully painted my Dark Elves.

I would love to start this competition back up, to help motivate members into painting their armies, and to help grow as painters, becoming better and learning from others.

I believe the original rules are still stickied on the painting thread, if we wanted to use the same rules (by that I mean have a different challenge every month).
Alternatively, I was thinking we could have set categories every month (infantry, monsters, characters) with 3 winners every month, or just rotate through the 3 categories each month.
Or, we could make it easy and just have it open for all models, and the best wins.

What's everyone think? is there enough interest to do this monthly or every second month? I would be willing to "host" the competition if wanted.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

I'd be interested. Just about to build a new army, so it will help motivate me to get things moving along.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

sounds fun, but every month would probably be a bit over the top. better make it over 2-3 months so that ppl have plenty of time to do really cool projects :)
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

I cast my vote on a challenge *each month*.
- infantry
- monster
- characters
- conversion

Thus we can focus on, I quote, "really cool projects", every fourth month - and smallish entries the other months.

As the topic starter said, the main objective of the comp would be to get members painting their armies.

Perhaps publishing the results in a sticky that cannot be commented, just Year, Month, Theme and pics of the winning entries.
That way we, after a few months, would have a really nice inspiration thread.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I love the idea... I think it's just a year ago that I played a bit of 40k and was hanging on the 40konline forum, where they had something like that, although it was mostly a vow, where you said "This month I'm gonna paint..." and then show pictures of the work you've done.

I do like the idea of it being a bit competetive as well, even though it's only for fun and not really any prizes in it except the glory of a title or something :P

I vote for the same as Kendoka, each month and those categories.

I guess infantry would mean a unit of some sort... from 5+ ?
Monsters and Characters would be about one model and quite much about the details, and the conversion... well, that's kinda more open category I guess.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yep this sounds good - count me in!

Perhaps the winners could have photos of thier work posted in the Elite Photo section http://www.druchii.net/album_cat.php?cat_id=14

Looks like that area has not been updated for a while.

I think once a month would be good.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

i would still be careful not to make it too common an event. on many other forums when these things happen its like 3 ppl participating, 2 of whom didnt finish on time, and the other one looks so bad you dont want to vote for it anyway :P

i am sure that participation would be high the first month or two, but i do think that it would quickly vanish in to obscurity. Id much rather see 4 successful competitions a year than having 12 failed ones.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Omnichron wrote:I love the idea... I think it's just a year ago that I played a bit of 40k and was hanging on the 40konline forum, where they had something like that, although it was mostly a vow, where you said "This month I'm gonna paint..." and then show pictures of the work you've done.

I am on the ogre stronghold, and they have monthly pledges there as well. I try to use it to motivate me, but it just doesn't work for me. I am also on another forum that has painting competitions every few months, and it always gets me painting my best minis.
I think a competition every few months would be great, I also think many of the D.net members are secretly competitive ;) and I see many talented people on here.

As for the forum and sticky-winners-without-comments, that's exactly what happened with the last competitions (they are still stickied in the painting section). I'll need to talk to the moderators first, but I'll see if I can take over the stickied thread or start a new one.

I was just testing the waters for interest. and it looks like we can at least hold one competition and fair well. If it picks up, we will make it something that comes up every few months. If there are ALOT of people, we can make it monthly. It all depends on the community.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior