New Fincast Dark Elves

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

New Fincast Dark Elves

Post by cultofkhaine »

GW now have some old favourites on Advance Order in Finecast.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440004a&rootCatGameStyle=wh

The prices are insane! I literally just placed an order yesterday for 5 metal Executioners $33 AUD the new Finecast are priced at $55.00 just over 20 bucks more!!!!!!!

Have these guys lost the plot or what :cry:

I don't know what you guys think but I'm glad I got my metals ones when I did. When are they going to wake up and make this hobby more affordable to the masses.
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Very glad I stocked up a while ago, I have way more metal minis than I need. Unless they come out with something really interesting, I'm already set and don't have to deal with the horror of a 50% price increase.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

So glad I got the Raging Heroes Blood Vestals.

I wanted to do a unit of 40 Executioners. Best start saving I guess... :(
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Sisstros
Dark Rider

Post by Sisstros »

Just keep an aye open on eBay.

Buying metal models exclusively from eBay I have racked up a very large collection of metal Dark Elves including Execs, Black Guard, Witch Elves, Shades, and Corsairs. 171 individual models if I'm totting up correctly from memory.

It takes patience waiting for the bargains to come up, but if you can wait a month or two to put your unit together you will save a fortune.

There is a lot up right now you might be able to snag: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170851974052? ... 500wt_1287

Best of luck.
вы претендуете оплатить, мы претендуем работать
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

If you have any skill at conversions, IoB Swordmasters make dandy Executioners for a pretty reasonable cost. Just swap out the swordblades for something more Druchii (I favor the clipped-tip spearblades from the warrior kit) and paint in an appropriately dark paint scheme.
dreadlord7476
Cold One Knight

Post by dreadlord7476 »

i think GW is pushing the limit of there priceing. theres only so much people will pay, and $200 for a 20 man block of our elite is too far,
Twitter @dreadlord7476

the dead savoir nothing, revenge is a dish for the living

kailleth blackthorn Group 38
Warrior
ws5 s4 t3 d3 i4
2long swords, light armour, sheld
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

dreadlord7476 wrote:i think GW is pushing the limit of there priceing. theres only so much people will pay, and $200 for a 20 man block of our elite is too far,

Especially since 20 men is not enough (unless for Black Guard)...

Here in AUS, they've gone from $38 to $55 for a box of five. You do the maths, but iMO $38 was originally too expensive.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I've emailed a complaint to them, doubt they will listen.

That said, it's going to be 80 ponds to those on the right side of the pond and over 130 dollars to players like me on the wrong side of the pond. 10 more minies on that price tag and I could get betalion!
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Thewaxmann
Trainee Warrior

Post by Thewaxmann »

In England, they have gone up 60% from £12.30 to £20.50. As a batallion is £70, 20 minis here is more than a batallion! :-(

The only upside is that harpies are very slightly cheaper here.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

It's a shame GW have some great minatures but these price rises are just putting the hobby way out of reach for many people. I was starting to get my kids into this but it is now just way to expensive.

I've emailed a complaint to them, doubt they will listen.

The only way GW are going to listen is if the masses complain together. We should all write a joint letter and send it to them on mass. SPAM their inbox with complaints - they might get the message.

On another note - The Australian Golden Demon this year is a total kick in the face for aspiring painters. Yet another way GW are alienating their fans. You can now only enter the Golden Demon comp if you attend Games Day. I live in Perth and have entered the comp every year for the past six years (lucky to get a trophy last year at the first Games Day) What use to be a National Painting competition is now really just a Sydney painting comp because most of us especially West have got no chance of getting there. At least when they had the store/state rounds of the comp it was open to all.

GW in my books are doing everything wrong at the moment - pity!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

It's simalar over here. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (it's in the middle of the state) yet most of the big official game day events or competitions are either in Los Angeles 5 to 6 hours of driving from my house or Viva Los Vegas in the next state.

So to stay on topic, should we have a Facebook page on it? That would certainly get people's attention.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

cultofkhaine wrote:GW in my books are doing everything wrong at the moment - pity!

Well, they have been doing alot of wrongs in the past as well. This is just another price increase over the years. Two of my friends quit the hobby, because it's always new miniatures and new rules who makes those new miniatures overpowered compared to the old choices, which means that you will HAVE to get the new ones if you want to be able to play.

Not only that, but NEVER getting one edition completely finished with all the armies, means that there's actually never a chance of having the armies at somewhat the same level. Not to mention the powercreep and the lack of updates for certain armies. I played Dark Eldar in 40k for a while, but the promised update of the codex didn't come before 12 years later. And there had been like 50 space marines codexes of different kinds out by then.

GW has to renew their business model soon. In these days, the rules of the books can be sold digitally, and the army books could be much more about fluff, painting ideas, tips and tricks, and so on... with the rules being digital, changes could be done much more effectively and the game more balanced.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Have any of you noticed that with the 'price increase' the Corsair models have gotten cheaper?

And yes while our hobby is expensive it's not the most expensive hobby around. People who ski, or do re-enactment or larp will end up spending considerably more on their hobby than we do, and ours is still a lot more time consuming. We actually get a reasonable deal considering how much time we get out of our little mens.

As for 'doing everything wrong' they're one of the only british companies that actually made a profit last year (and trust me that's a GOOD thing for the economy in britain currently.) They are first and foremost a business and they have overheads, please try and remember that.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They are first and foremost a business and they have overheads

Yes I think we all realise they are a business and that they have overheads but how can you justify a $20 increase going from metal to plastic. Surely you would think that metal would be more expensive.

I also get that they have to design, package, and market their product but that is a fairly dramatic price increase.

Also wouldn't you think if they brought the prices down a bit, a more younger audience would be able to afford it and in turn the gaming community and sales would grow.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Metals a more expensive material but creating the mould for plastic minis is actually more expensive (though they last alot lot longer). When they finally did the new Rhino plastic kit the mould itself cost over £150,000.

I imagine part of the price increase with Finecast (which is not the same as plastic) comes from the fact that they have to retool the moulds to acomodate the resin mixture. There's also a reasonable chance that when they do these models in plastic in the future (as finecast is just a stopgap) we'll end up with a box of 10 plastic Blackguard/Witches/Executioners for around the same price or cheaper (10 Corsairs now only cost £15)

Also, 5 models for £20.50 is the same as a box of 5 Necron Immortals in 40k, granted Fantasy requires more minis than 40k, but it's not as if it's double the cost of a box of 40k mins. It might be double the cost of a unit but if you chose to play fantasy over 40k then you do so with the understanding that you're going to be paying alot more for alot more miniatures.

Personally I will be getting a box of finecast shades to replace my metal ones, I've found the detail to be crisper when buying the same model in finecast to replace a metal one in the past, and they'll be less likely to topple and chip/break.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Are you or have you ever been employed by GW? I find no one, on a few different forums, able to justify the extravagant price increase, however the only posters defending GW's increase are people that work or have worked for them.

There is no justifiable reason that the prices has been increased at the rate they were, unless a GW corporate representative issues a statement letting the gaming world know why they have done so. The lack of any information in this manner, would lead one to believe that they don't have a very good reason themselves, except that the calendar hit June, so its time to raise prices. No matter how anyone wants to try and slice it, there is no reason for it, unless GW wants to tell the gaming world why. Until then we have to sit, wonder, and for a lot of us, feel like we are being taken advantage of.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

I am not, nor have I ever been, employed by Games Workshop. And if I was employed by them I probably wouldn't be able to comment on it anyway for risk of my views being taken as the company's views.

And unless you're a shareholder I don't think you actually have a right to demand they tell you why they're raising the prices. It's up to them as the company. They're still making a profit so people obviously aren't leaving the hobby in droves because of it.

Hobbies are expensive. This one is one of the least expensive of the hobbies I used to do (Civil War re-enactment for instance where a pair of authentic shoes will cost you -at least- £90 and a sword for use on the field around £135)
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Witches have gotten vastly more expensive, but corsairs have gotten cheaper? Hmmm.

Sounds like a job for my favorite conversion, corsairs -> witches. Just use the female warrior torso instead of a corsair torso. Paint it up with plenty of cleavage showing over a black leather corset and you're good to go. Bonus points for using Wood Elf heads; they are generally more feminine than corsair heads, but it isn't really necessary.

No, they don't look as good as, say, the Blood Vestals. They look no worse than the scraggly-hair GW sculpts.

EDIT: thetosh, we know hobbies can get expensice. And when it comes right down to it, wargaming isnt' all that expensive compared to, say, hot rods, scuba diving, or golf. We get it.

The problem isn't that wargaming is expensive. The problem is that GW is charging Porsche prices and delivering Ford quality. In the case of Finecast, it's Lambroghini prices for Yugo quality.

And how do I judge that quality for price? By comparing GW to some of the other manufacturers out there. Perry, for example, makes fantastic minis in a true scale, not the exaggerated GW heroic scale. The charge 18 pounds - which is what, $34, give or take a few? - for 40 infantry or 12 cavalry.

Another good example is Mantic. Okay, their sculpts aren't the greatest. But I assembled a 10,000 point dwarf army with characters out of their army boxes... and spent significantly less than $300. Yes, about three cents per point. Getting the same stuff from GW would have cost around $1500.

There simply is no cause for GW to be priced so high, other than 'because we can get away with it.' And that attitude over mediocre-quality toy soldiers really irritates me.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Vulcan wrote:There simply is no cause for GW to be priced so high, other than 'because we can get away with it.' And that attitude over mediocre-quality toy soldiers really irritates me.

And me as well. I'm not demanding an explanation from GW, just stating that without one, there is no way to say what GW's motivation is, whether its new equipment, retooling machines, etc., for the price increase. A general 3% increase across the board would be understandable, but for the most part, some models get huge jumps, others don't, their rhyme and reason is just not there.
Sisstros
Dark Rider

Post by Sisstros »

GW is a profit making enterprise and, like any other company in any industry, they will charge whatever they estimate people are willing to pay.

However, so many games companies are now building a business model that is at least in part based on being a cheaper alternative to GW. If forced to really compete even for the customers who play their own game systems, such as ourselves, then GW might start pricing to challenge these other companies.
вы претендуете оплатить, мы претендуем работать
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

It's essentially very simple - stop buying their models and they'll be forced to lower their prices...
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I did a quick look on wikipedia, and I can see what the problem is with finecast.

All resin molds do not last long do to a combination of extreme heat and the chemicals used in the process. After about 25-100 castings, it starts loosing quality and we all know how that works. In short, by the time it produces a (current) full unit of black guard, it's already past it's shelf life.

That said, would it be too much to ask for GW to come up with a heat or chemical or both resiliant ceramic to deal with this when it comes to moldes?
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Well they've admited that finecast is just a stop gap for the majority between metal and plastic. I think if they could they'd have the whole range plasitc. They've even been releasing plastic heroes.
Druchiilad
Executioner

Post by Druchiilad »

Here is hoping for proper Plastic kits when Druchii get a new army book...
In Khaine we trust...
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Almost identical topic, HERE.

Locked.

Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite