Salvatore inspired Dark Elf/Drow Army

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Salvatore inspired Dark Elf/Drow Army

Post by Ben baenre »

As the title suggests, I am a huge R.A. Salvatore fan. I currently have a Warriors of Chaos army and decided to start a second fantasy army while waiting for the new book. Of course I chose dark elves, and being a fan of Salvatore, decided to theme my army as a drow army from the underdark. This will be a slow process (finances and time hindering progress), but I will update as my army grows.

To start things off I finished the model I'll be using as a High Priestess (sorceress):

I also have a unit of Corsairs in the works (still can't decide on additional hand weapon or handXbows though), an assassin, and an order of Witch Elves (blood vestals from Raging Heroes) coming to post next.
Last edited by Ben baenre on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

No idea who R. A. Salvatore was until I googled him just there.

While not normally a fan of drow themed dark elves I actually like the jet black you have used here. The colour scheme as a whole works well, especially the contrast of the gold.

A little more highlighting on the skin would help to bring the features of the model (especially the face) out more.

Looking forward to seeing the rest...
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Darkgul
Corsair

Post by Darkgul »

Hehe reading War of the Spider Queen atm so its awesome to see someone post his vision on the drown in the book.

The black works very well. Maybe make the red eyes a bit brighter for extra dramatic effect ^^. Is the model also a specific Baenre?

Gr
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

I like the idea, though as Tyrannus points out, a tad highlighting would make it look even better.

Salavatore is a nice read. The internal politics and the lizard mounts (to mention a few) feels very Druchii.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

On the other side of the board I'll say I'm not a fan of the dark skin. When I first looked at the model I thought it was unfinished. Dark skin is much harder to paint than light-coloured skin (IMO) and even harder to do well.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I've also thought about going with the drow look once, and I was about to before I decided I'd go with the more natural colors of warhammer fluff (although I eventually went with the looks of more southern living druchii as they got a bit of a tan :lol: ).

My advice for the skin, would be to not use black... ever. The reason for this is that black outright destroys any details to the miniature as well as natural curves and so on.

What works best is to get a grey with a hint of blue, and just wash the miniature down with a thinned out nuln oil (or badab black if you still have that one) to something that gets very dark, but where you can still see the shape and details of the miniature. Then you highlight with a very watered out pale color (or gray), and build up the highlights gradually.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ben baenre »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone. I'll be taking some time this weekend for painting and modeling and will attempt to improve the skin on this model (something I'll have to perfect since the rest of my army will have the same skin ;) ). I will definitely take your advice Omnichron, and give it a go. I actually did a subtle grey highlight, but as you all saw in the pictures, it didn't do a very good job of showing the details of the model.

@DarkGul- No specific name yet, still debating. :D
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

I think the key to painting skin black (or even just dark) is layering along the lines Omnichron suggested. For example this wood elf Orion:

If you look at someone who has dark skin in real life, there are a range of tones reflected, all the way to white light. For example UFC fighter Cheick Kongo:

"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Agree with all the others so far, have a go at the skin you'll be suprised how much better it will look, good luck.
Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ben baenre »

So I almost finished repainting the skin on my sorceress. It still needs another highlight, but already looks better to me. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will post a picture as soon as it's complete. I also have a work in progress unit filler to share. Put together using a goblin spider rider and a daemonette. It still needs some green stuff to fill in gaps and I'm planning on putting a captured (wrapped in web) marauder in the empty space beside it.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to do the web besides using green stuff?
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

A cool idea for the unit filler, I'm sure it will look awesome when painted.

As for spider webs, I have found this tutorial: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.cz/2011/1 ... rwebs.html. The effect is really awesome, but it requires an airbrush.
Also, you can probably just use cotton wool, as this guy has done: http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.cz/20 ... mania.html
I have never tried it myself, though.

I hope this helps.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ben baenre »

Thanks for the comment and the links Rowena. Looks like I'll have to tap into my patience reserves to make it look decent, but I'll do my best.

Here is an updated picture of my High Priestess/supreme sorceress with the skin re-done. It could probably be done better by someone with more painting skill than me, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I also finished painting my assassin. It still needs a few touch ups and based but here he is:

I also received the command group for my witch elves/clerics of Lloth from Raging heroes this last week, so hopefully I'll have them painted by my next post.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Nice update with the sorceresses' skin re-toned. Can definitely make out the features more.

Look forward to seeing the rest of your mini's...
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

That looks much better imo. Great work! :)
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ben baenre »

It's been awhile since I got the paint out, but made some time this weekend to do a test for my executioners. I decided to try and make the armor have some kind of spider webbing to it but I didn't want to spend hours on each model so this is what I came up with. I'll probably be using this for the rest of my army as well, as it didn't take too long to finish or tax my limited painting skills too much.

ImageImage
Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Salvatore inspired Dark Elf/Drow Army

Post by Ben baenre »

So I finally have an update on my DE army. With the release of the new Warriors of Chaos book and new models, most of my time and money have been spent there. I have slowly been accumulating pieces for my Cauldron of Blood conversion in the process though and now have enough work done on it to justify an actual update.

Keeping with the theme of the army, my CoB will be basically a sacrificial alter to Lloth the spider queen with a statue of Lloth on the back of the howda. Carrying the howda, I will be using an Arachnarok spider. The death hag and hags/priestesses of Lloth are all models from Dark Sword Miniatures, which I highly recommend.

The Howda:

Still a work in progress, I want to add stairs to the sacrifice table, a platform for the statue, and more spikes/blades on the edge of the platform. I just hope I don't overdo it. For the sacrifice, I was going to use the elf casualty from the Mantic Kings of War Seaguard sprue, but I can't seen to find it on any of the bits sites anymore. I will probably be substituting the prisoner bit from the Stonehorn kit for the sacrifice. He looks like an empire troop and I play vs Empire quite a bit, so it might work out better anyway.

Giant Spider:

As for the statue of Lloth, I plan on using this 54 mm model: http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/minia ... p?ID=34561. Not too sure on the size since I've never used 54 mm miniatures before, but I'm assuming it should be about the right size. I will be taking the wings off and adding 4 spider legs, obviously.
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

Mate, that's an awesome idea you have there and a very good conversion. I particularly am amazed at the altar part of your huge miniature (it's very Khainite-like). Carry on and keep us informed on the progress.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I have just found something that might interest you, a model of Lolth by GF9 in their D&D range: http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_st ... ryID=13326
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I love those drow! What a find, didn't even know GF9 has a deal with Wizards. Thanks!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I'm glad I could help. :)
My painting blog

Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ben baenre »

Yeah, thanks Rowena! That is perfect, exactly what I'm looking for - and quite a bit cheaper too. You even get an extra model that could be used as a sorceress.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

It's a shame my CoB is already a platform pulled by 6 human slaves... I love the Arachnarok idea (but I'll have an Arachnarok as a stand-in for a hydra eventually)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ben baenre »

Slowly making progress on my COB conversion. Still waiting on funds to buy my Lollth model. I'm almost 100% sold on that D&D model even though it's a bit smaller than I initially wanted her to be. You just can't go wrong with an actual model of Lollth and get a bonus sorceress as well. Also converted a deamonette to be my Death Hag BSB that will go with my Executioners. Let me know if you think the webbing should be a complete circle or to just leave it the way it is. I kinda like it the way it is, partially because it makes her easier to rank up in a unit ;) .

I also acquired an OOP hydra so I don't have to proxy one in games. Still need to finish the base.

Hydra:

COB:

Death Hag BSB:

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I really like the BSB, it's perfect for your theme. I think I would leave the web as it is, to me it seems somehow more interesting this way.
Also I can't wait to see the finished cauldron, it's growing more and more awesome. :)
My painting blog

Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

I envy you for your ideas and even more for the way how you brought them into being. Seriously, great job! Personally, I don't really like the idea of drows but I like the contrast you've set with your colour scheme! :)
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.