on request, pics of new release

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Re: on request, pics of new release

Post by Darkmark »

Over all this is a swing and roundabouts release for me. Up with the Avatar, down with the very, very limited posing of the WE/ Sisters' box, and round we go to the much improved though not breath taking warriors.

Beyond the loan day pay day shark interest payment on the WE/ Sisters box the super limited posing really annoys me. Just having the same ball&socket build as the DE Wyches would have made this a super interesting box. Running a unit of WE clones and then be expected to do it all again for the Sisters just stinks. From what little I've read about the Sisters I'd expect them to more cold and calculating with their fighting, not leaping around.

Guess GW ran with the 'So I heard you like masks, Dawg?' theme. OK, but don't think I'll be melting my plastic to get the new stuff. Too many compromises to be a killer release.

6/ 10
Cailil
Executioner

Post by Cailil »

Well given that I've been waiting 12 years for new Witch Elves I'm not gonna complain that these have limited poses. Although the price is about €5 too steep for my liking I'm still gonna buy them. Also anyone with D Eldar Wych bitz laying around should be able to get so Sisters of Slaughter conversions out of left overs from the new WE box.

On the other hand the Dreadspears being monopose was a let down. The RxB poses look fine. But the Bleakswords and Dreadspears poses needed to be customizable. Luckily enough I have a heap of unbuilt old warriors (as do lots of DE players who bought the battalion box set) that I can add the new arms to for swords men and spearmen and more RxBs

The Kharibdyss/Hydra is far better than a lot of the whining on various forums would lead one to suspect. And besides there was massive moaning about the change to the last one (see previous one here: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk31/LucklessDiceman/Dark%20Elf%20Escalation%20Warband/WarHydra.jpg and compare with finecast one: http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2008/12/12/12570-Beast,%20Dark%20Elves,%20Hydra,%20Warhammer%20Fantasy.jpg). Personally I hated the last one, becuase of its heads, for years ... until I saw it in real life. I also thought the new dragon's head would be awful - it's not. Honestly most DE players already have at least one Hydra so nobody HAS TO buy it. And anyone who does can make the Kharibdyss!

The COB is great. The Witches and who I assume is Hellebron look fantastic. The Medusa is good model and the Khaine statue is a definite army centrepiece. €60 is steep but it'll be years before the DEs are revamped again so I can wait.

I'm intrigued to see what they'll do with the chariot and the Blackguard/Executioners. I already have 20 Execs and 20 BG so they wont be on my list. But the BG have become one of the iconic Druchii units so if it goes wrong a lot of ppl will be turning to ebay. On the other hand given the loving Khainite models are getting I hope the new Exec/BG kit does get appropriate attention.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

OK everyone...here's something that's perplexing me. First off, remember that I'm old and old fashioned and that colors my views on everything :D

I've read many many times recently that the existing witch elves are outdated, dated, poor, lame, etc.

Really? Technically speaking, I.e. quality of sculpt, they are among the best that GW has ever made, or so I say :D

Surely, those who don't like them wouldn't disagree on that point, would they? So what is it about them that people don't like? Is it the big hair? The hot bodies? The fishnet stockings? The varied poses? (sarcasm alert :D )

All insights will be appreciated.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Lion of flanders wrote:OK everyone...here's something that's perplexing me. First off, remember that I'm old and old fashioned and that colors my views on everything :D

I've read many many times recently that the existing witch elves are outdated, dated, poor, lame, etc.

Really? Technically speaking, I.e. quality of sculpt, they are among the best that GW has ever made, or so I say :D

Surely, those who don't like them wouldn't disagree on that point, would they? So what is it about them that people don't like? Is it the big hair? The hot bodies? The fishnet stockings? The varied poses? (sarcasm alert :D )

I'm in your camp. I'm keeping mine & picking up another box of Dark Eldar wyches to make the rare version. $70 for 10 models is so far out of line with me that I'm not even entertaining this new box as an option.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I love the current witch elves :P

If there a model in our current range that I don't like it's the super old Dark Riders (soon to be changed)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Considering the new releases prices, I'm very glad I have a good stock of the 6th edition models. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the executioners, black guard, or witches and I am still convinced that that entire range was the best GW ever made. Sure there were some deficits, the warriors feet and hands, battle cow cold ones, etc. but those issues were still a vast improvement over what they replaced in most instances. I'm afraid if the new witches price point carries over to the new exec/bg box that all the excitement over this new release will evaporate.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Lion of flanders wrote:OK everyone...here's something that's perplexing me. First off, remember that I'm old and old fashioned and that colors my views on everything :D

Ditto. I really like the range we had for the Witch Elves, Chris Fitzpatrick did a fantastic job on them. Definitely better than the 5th ed ones. I already have horde unit of thirty, compromising of 6th ed, 3rd ed witches and a second smaller unit growing of Raging Heroes Blood Vestals. The price of the new box will be inhibitive for many.

Same goes for the Execs and Black guard.
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_I8tXa6rM
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Well, I hadn't seen it! That was pretty cool...if a bit overly dramatic :D ...particularly after the third variation of monopose warriors with new funky names.

The stuff that I like, I'm liking more the more I see and the stuff that I don't, I'm liking less the more I see. One thing to note are the beastmaster figures. They seem not as bad as people have been saying, other than the absurd "ankles together circus animal trainer" pose that the female one is in. That torso will have to go on some other legs unless you are making a Druchii circus for some reason.

I still must say...I don't know who is in charge of concept art at GW these days, but the renderings of the witch elves consistently show bodies that look like young boys in jog bras. Whoever it is could stand to check out some anatomy. Women tend to have waists that are narrower than their bust area and their hips. I think my waist is proportionately narrower than the witch elf concept painting that is shown in that video (and I am not a chick, by the way :D )

I think somebody used their goth sister-in-law as the concept model:

Come on GW! I've been to England many times, so I know from personal experience that there are plenty of beautiful dark haired chicks in your fine country that should have inspired you to do better!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Hey Scott, that waist thing is just 500 year old middle age spread....no worries.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Yamagogimon18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yamagogimon18 »

Just saw this

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ost6934850

-DRs looks amazing. I wonder if shields come standard now?
-Warlocks are ok, i think they need a different paintjob, maybe some tats.
-Mixed feelings on the horses, their bodies look good but their mouths are a little much...
-chariot isn't exactly what i expected ( a little low to the ground) but i think it works, they look good.
-Black guard look awesome! Hard to go wrong here...
-Executioners' armor looks good, but the poses are boring. Don't have the blood-crazed Khainite feel. I like the old exec poses a lot better, but those skull masks are sick...
-fleet master looks really nice, hope he's got some usable rules.

Overall pretty nice! I hope there are some special character releases that aren't included here- mainly Malus...
Last edited by Yamagogimon18 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

ok. as I thought Execs look too much like Black Guard... so I will likely not have plastic Execs, but might fill out my 20 strong BG unit.

When I see the chariots I hear this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTGrfs5TXM

Also, Black Ark Fleetmaster? He's got a peg leg! I mean... Sword-leg!
7th edition army book:

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK, this is getting better every day!

New steeds are very cool and wicked looking BUT the carrot sized buck teeth just make them look like evil Donkey from Shrek. I'm hoping some dental surgery can set them to rights. If I figure out something good, I'll make a tutorial.

The riders are very, very mucho primo good. Lots of cool bits are to be had from the kit I am guessing. The shields look great. All of my future opponents will just have to accept my existing shield less dark riders if that becomes standard.

I don't know what to make of the White Walkers, er..Riders. Have to wait and see what a non weird paint job looks like. Meanwhile, another freakin' mask.

Chariots looks great EXCEPT the no wheels thing is just stupid. "hey idiot! Didga tie your axle to the saloon rail and take off too quickly?"

I'll need to "convert" mine into something less stupid, being that I don't have an ice theme.

[Edit: on second look...are the wheels in the back, or out of view/tiny or something? We will see when the figure is released, but those chariots should have a special rule that if the enemy drops a bunch of pencils, carrot sticks, Hershey kisses, etc. in the path of a DE chariot, the thing will have to make a dangerous ground test or get bogged down :D ]

Black Guard are excellent as are the Executioners

I like the pirate style dude. My grand secret scheme involves making a corsair unit, so I'm thinking about piraty stuff.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Chariots earlier descriptions did mention a single wheel, in the rear.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

So shields and barding then for Dark riders??
Not sure what to think of our new dark steeds!
Warlocks look good enough to pick up a box though.
Chariots are okay i guess, i will start converting 2 of my old one with steeds and corsairs.
The black guards and executioners are awesome! don t need anymore to be honest but i'll be getting a box or 2 for a second unit of black guards.
The fleetmaster, i thought that a swordleg wouldnt bother me much when he was first mentioned. But it really does look weird! To bad becase i really like the rest of the model
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Nice find Yamagogimon!

Some of it looking very good. Some of it looking...

Also, how does the chariot work without wheels? :shock:
Ayeril
Dark Rider

PICS, Black gurads, executioners, and chariots with no wheel

Post by Ayeril »

I found those reasonable quality pictures of our missing units, as well as some rules for our magic items, and spells.

http://plastickrak.blogspot.co.nz/
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

Execs: worse than the old ones
Mardigras wagons: awful
Hydra/kharybdis: awful.
Warlock riders: terribad
LEGSWORD MAN: scuttle his own boat
Witch elfs: individually they look nice, as a unit it doesn’t work for me. And then you get to the price- how about no.
Blackguard: a very slight improvement on the current ones
Dark Riders: nice, but ruined by the horses
Warriors: an improvement on the current. Probably my favourite bit of the whole release.
Chariots: pretty nice, will they see use?

Bad release
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

I do not play this game anymore (you should join me in playing warmachine instead ;)) and i doubt i will ever go back, but you cant argue with the fact that these minis are just pure awesome. GW are good as SOME things at least :)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have a milion wood elf steeds. I wonder if the new dark riders fit on them (since warlocks might be my priority)
7th edition army book:

Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

Lord tsunami wrote:I do not play this game anymore (you should join me in playing warmachine instead ;)) and i doubt i will ever go back, but you cant argue with the fact that these minis are just pure awesome. GW are good as SOME things at least :)

I would argue against that “fact” quite vehemently.

The CoK models were insanely good. The corsairs very nice. The Dark eldar range is overall the best in all systems of the game.

Almost every release for this is underwhelming.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Lord tsunami wrote:(you should join me in playing warmachine instead ;))

Thanks for the invite, but I will kindly refuse. As well as, possibly; instead of - limiting.

My thoughts on the second wave;

Warlocks - will have to see the models in person, and check out the rules.

Black Guard - To look at one is nice. To realise the mono-pose, and mono-haircut is disappointing. Sticking with my conversions.

Executioners - Surprised at the lack of love these guys have been getting. Monopose issues again but will add a nice brooding presence to our lines. Will be picking up some bits and adding dynamism. Swords are ace.

Chariots - All I can picture is these contraptions hitting the first little rock on the battlefield, the chassis breaking and our Dark Elf chums being catapulted through the air.....It is in the "flying rowboat" category of silly, and if I'm running any chariots they will be getting a proper set of wheels.

Jake the Peg - Don't know how this one got through Quality Control, if you are going to make a Corsair character, it should look better than the existing options! If these characters are any use then I will either (a) use a model made from the Corsair box or (b) use Lokhir!

Dark Riders - someone must have read my wishlist as my existing guys have shields! 8) The nicest new models of the lot IMO, only a shame that the beastmasters have been cross breeding their Dark Steeds with hamsters*

Overall, I still dig the release. I'm picky cos I'm a converter :D Dark Elves now look incredibly sexy across the field thanks to these two waves!

*observation copyright of Primarch at Nagoyahammer.com !lol!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Per dark riders... real horses actually have teeth just like that. They just generally keep them hidden. Instead of snarling it makes them look somewhat comical.
7th edition army book:

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Dalamar wrote:Per dark riders... real horses actually have teeth just like that. They just generally keep them hidden. Instead of snarling it makes them look somewhat comical.

The teeth of real horses aren't THAT long. These Dark Steeds would punch their top teeth through their bottom jaw if they tried to close their mouths.

If I get any, I will shave the teeth down a bit. Should be simple since they are plastic.
Truly These are the End Times ...
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

The Evolution of the Dark Steed:

Attachments
gnashersII.jpg
gnashersII.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 1561 times