Tone's Hobby Log

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Tone's Hobby Log

Post by Chingerspy »

Hi all, thanks for stopping by my hobby log. I hope to put up progress and pictures of my Dark Elves.
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Tone's Hobby Log

Post by Chingerspy »

I have a Dreadlord on Cold One in metal, it's the "Finecast" one now.
I have 2 Bolt Throwers in metal, also now in "Finecast".
I have a metal Sorceress with skull staff, also in "Finecast" now!

The rest of my old stuff is going in the bitz box as it's hardly worth mentioning!

I received my small order from Element Games yesterday. I plan to be sensible with this new collection and only order bits at a time. If there is one thing I've found that suits me it is looking at a handful of models in my "to do" pile and work on them until finished, then get more. Too many times have I ordered a load of models and lost interest due to the seemingly endless task of finishing them all!

So I ordered just 2 boxed of Dread Spears, that's it! I nearly went for a Shadowblade model too, but removed it at the last minute! Yes people, that's how serious I am about this small ordering :D

I managed to assemble the 20 models as Spearmen and they rank up beautifully! I did take a couple of pictures but they haven't come out the best so I will retake again, but I am sure you've all seen grey plastic models before :D I left the shields and the unit commander's sword off to make painting easier as they cross the body which will make for a tricky paintjob.

I also managed to get them undercoated black using Vallejo Polyurethane Primer, this stuff is awesome either applied with brush or airbrush, it sits so nicely and dries very level, no drips or whatnot. It may need a couple of coats with the brush though, but it's only primer and it's not necessary to get an opaque coloured coating as it will all be painted over. As long as the brush has seen the plastic the key will be there for the paint in my experience with this product. I brushed this on as it was getting late and I didn't want to fire up the compressor.

So they should be ready by the time I get back to them tonight, I like to give primer a while to cook on and overnight is plenty, I'm sure a few minutes is plenty but it really is better if you let it set. Makes for getting it off again with isopropol alchohol a chore but that's why it's a good primer!

Hopefully I'll get a good painting evening in tonight as some plans have changed and this unit will be well on it's way and I'll be "allowed" to order some more! I think a unti of Witch Elves is next on the list, maybe just one box of those as they are expensive but we'll see. I think I'll end up running them at about 30 models, a pricey unit to collect for sure but they look damn effective!

After that I'll look at getting some Cold One Knights as a untit for my Dreadlord to join. Unless by that time the Dark Riders/Warlocks kit is out, then it's a no brainer to get some of them on the go!

Tone
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chingerspy »

Got a bit of work done on the Dreadspears unit tonight... Here's a progress shot after getting the steel and purple done and washed. Wait for this to dry and make a start on the gold tomorrow with any luck.
Attachments
Dreadspears1.jpg
Dreadspears1.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Meraklis
Trainee Warrior

Post by Meraklis »

the dreadspears look very good and I couldnt agree with you more about the small orders tactic.

I am also doing the same and hopefully I should be able to keep it up...
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chingerspy »

Yeah they are a nice kit. So easy to put together, just body+arms and one head every 10 models :)
Also think it's great and absolutely appropriate that someone from Greece was first to reply here considering my biblical army thoughts with the Dreadspears :D

Good luck with the small orders approach Meraklis!
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Very nice indeed, looking forward to see how they turn out when fully painted :)
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Even at this early stage your Dreadspears are looking better than the official GW paint job!

Nice 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Meraklis
Trainee Warrior

Post by Meraklis »

Chingerspy wrote:Yeah they are a nice kit. So easy to put together, just body+arms and one head every 10 models :)
Also think it's great and absolutely appropriate that someone from Greece was first to reply here considering my biblical army thoughts with the Dreadspears :D

Good luck with the small orders approach Meraklis!

:) thx!

hopefully I should start a plog sometime soon so I can share my work too

in the meantime I look forward to seeing that unit of dreadspears finished!
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chingerspy »

Right then, had another evening to myself so got on with some more painting. Pic below but got all the gold on and washed. Also decided to stick the shields on, probably regret it but meh!

The gold on the shields needs washing and probably touching up as gold tends to need a couple of coats, I'll probably do that tomorrow if I get a chance. Then it's the flesh, banner and bases.

Are black bases still in vogue? Not sure if I should go with the snow theme or not. I have a tonne of Woodlands Scenics snow that I haven't even opened yet so might do a bit of snow here and there. Just undecided at the moment and this may even wait until I have more of the army together. GW seem to have gone rubble crazy with their new sculpts so may just work with that a bit.

Anyway here is the picture from tonight... They are definitely coming together!
Attachments
de2.jpg
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

So..so...much better than the GW paintjobs. You have made those models look ...good :shock:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chingerspy »

Thanks a lot dude! Well I've got the day off work today, car had to go in for it's MOT and they have it all day pretty much. So that's left time for painting :) I've just about got everything done one these Dreadspears now, just a couple of touch ups here and there and work out what to put on the banner, and of course the basing but that can wait for later when the army is forming.

I enjoyed painting them, oddly! The small orders tactic seems to be working for now :) I wasn't happy with the skin but I never am with any miniature I do! I opted for Rakarth Flesh with a Reikland Fleshshade wash over it. I may go back to these later and get some form of highlighting on them but I prefer to use light colours and shade them down with washes instead, look more realistic to me, rather than hard edges or smooth fades. I can only get "smooth" fades using drybrushing but currently don't feel it's necessary to get them to tabletop.

Anyway, here's the rather small picture of their current state.
Attachments
de3.jpg
de3.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chingerspy »

Oh hi girls!

Next unit, Witch Elves!

I've got 20 of these, 10 took me about 2-3 hours to assemble! They are not too fiddly, but are really dynamic models and have a couple of options. I'll probably be able to get the base coat of Rakarth flesh on these before calling it an evening.
Attachments
we1.jpg
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chingerspy »

Early days shot of the first 10 Witch Elves. These are some sexeh women! Went for the purple latex bikinis on them, just getting the basic colours down right now... lots more gold to paint and then washing and touching up. Flesh so far is just Rakarth Flesh and Reikland Fleshshade wash. Went for the bloody heart on the standard's pole. These models are a not a nightmare to rank up but I'm crap at it so it will be a challenge.

Never had much luck magnetising bases, might go for the sheet metal method as it's the magnetic sheet stuff that I have problem with, it's usually very weak as opposed to the rare earth magnets being really strong. Might trawl Ebay for pre-cut 1-2mm steel, shame most baked bean tins are aluminium now :( always used to be a cheap source of sheet metal back in my air rifle target shooting days.
Attachments
we2.jpg
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Nice work mate, those spears and witches turned out great!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0