PLOG - Death Night

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Enkiel
Assassin

PLOG - Death Night

Post by Enkiel »

My first DArk Elf PLOG : http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63899

With the release of the new book, i finally decided to take my Dark elf out of retirement, and get on to painting them. Since my last DE plog, i have to admit that i painted ALOT ;

2500+ pts of Ogres
1500 pts of Dark Eldar
3000 pts of Nurgle Daemons
1800 pts of Grey Knights

With the first two, i finished first (With Ogres) in a 50 man tournament in paint, and tied first (with Nurgle Daemons) in the following year in paint. So my goal is to take those Dark Elves and take them to the next level. For a long time, i wanted to try a very limited palette, which i somewhat achieved with my Daemons and Grey Knights (Can see some picture on my blog, if you're interested), but i really want to give it all i got on the Dark Elves. Goal is March 1st for a complete 2500 pts painted.

The list ;

Sorceress lvl4
Helebron

Death Hag BSB on Cauldron (or not)

35 Witch Elves
5 Dark Rider
5 Dark Rider

30 Executionner (Old Model)

5 Warlocks
5 Warlocks
2 Lharibdyss

100 Models, 3 of them big ones and 20 of them cavalry, sound like challenge, but i did paint 70 Plaguebearers, 6 Plaguedrones, a Great Unclean One, and many character in roughly that same timeframe.

The presentation tray will feature houses from Tabletop-world, despicting the Death Night, using a very similar paint scheme to the amazing Dark Elves Underworld

For now, not much to show, as i'm still priming my first 10 Witches (damn, those are a PITA to prime when built...). Roughly 3 hours in priming, as i'm using very thin coat to keep all the detail, while covering the model with as much white as possible.

Still, for a taste, here's the skintone i'll be using (stuff i painted back in.... 2009?)

treeapple
Warrior

Re: PLOG - Death Night

Post by treeapple »

Great Minis. I really like the skin. I also like the contrast with the red.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

They look lovely. I especially like the red hair, it's very refreshing. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Starter working on my first batch of witches the pas few nights....

To the right, is the skin after the wash.
To the left, its the following stage, where i do a first highlight. For now, its only Space Wolf Grey and Asurman Blue that were used. Next stage will slowly add Bleached Bones, then pure white.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Some very good looking flesh on those girls mate, looking forward to seeing the newest ones finished.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Worked a bit, to give me a rough idea what they'll look like...

obviously, ended up adding another color ; purple.

But i did shade it with blue, not showing much, but, its there!

Skin hasnt changed for now. Wanted first to see how it will work with the rest of the color before comiting to anything...

The boots are black. Will be glossy soon, and still debating if its worth highlighting them in any way.

On the rest of the metal (Bra, crown, weapons), i'm thinking about starting darker blue, and highlighting with gray.

should get a testing piece soon enough.

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

did my first NMM test today ;

and a pretty bad cut'n'paste to give an idea of the final look ;

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

and on a true model ;

Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Nice work on the NMM, great first attempt!

Having just recently given it a shot myself for the first time, the only small bit of advice I can give is to either get rid of the white reflection line separating the edges or make sure it is EXTREMELY thin, and to let more of the mid-tones of the transition show through whilst making sure that only the very ends of each section goes to black and white.

Hope that helps at all, you can see my attempts to see what I mean :)
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

I'm gonna work on tidying up my line a bit.

After this attempt, i realized that what i needed was add another white line to the edge, which IMHO changed a whole lot the look of the NMM.

I am also now realizing that i have all the trouble in the world taking a correct picture of the model ; so much blue, i cant get the color correct .

This one, i call her done. her boots are glossy (plenty of trouble with that one), the metal is done, and the hair is... well, almost done.

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

i tried adjusting the picture a bit... better?

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

second finished!

going slightly faster, took me about 1 hour to do the metal on this one....

and a close up

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

sometimes, smalls things make you happy.... like receiving this message ;

Item successfully delivered to recipient's side door

in that box, a kharibdyss (i got it right this time, riiiight?), a Cauldron, and 3 boxes of Witches.

With that, my army will pretty much be completed ;

My new list that i should try tomorrow agains HE ;

1 Supreme Sorceress lvl4, 4++ Lore of Life

Death Hag on Cauldron with frenzy+2
Master 1+ rerollable

2x5 Dark Rider
35 Witch Elves + Razor Banner

30 Exec
3 RBT

2x5 Warlocks
2x Kharibdyss

Baiscally, taking out Hellebron, and adding RBT. I think against monsters, i need it, because there's more and more monster you MUST deal with ASAP (Terrorgheist, Frost Phoenix, Abom), so i need to get some range.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

I like your skin colour, but IMHO the whole is too similar...I´d paint the metallics that way but with other hue, something more red or reddish...to make each part and material really distinct.
Death before dishonor
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Lord_azoth wrote:I like your skin colour, but IMHO the whole is too similar...I´d paint the metallics that way but with other hue, something more red or reddish...to make each part and material really distinct.

I want to keep a very limited palette. My first idea was monochrome, but soon realized i couldnt do it properly, so i'm keeping it minimal.

the only color i'll be adding will be red for blood.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

then I´d recommend you to apply a really one shadow and light outlining/edging so every part of the mini get separated from the adjacent, (crown/head, weapons/hands, breastplate/skin, etc).

Of course the red with a so kimited palette will look amazing!
Death before dishonor
Iraduur nightfrost
Noble

Post by Iraduur nightfrost »

No eyes, then? They would certainly add some character to the ladies.
Behold the might of the witchking!
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Iraduur nightfrost wrote:No eyes, then? They would certainly add some character to the ladies.

Ill most likely add pupill down the Line. I like to do them last, when i have a steady hand. They'll most likely be vlack, or maybe a dark red
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Lord_azoth wrote:then I´d recommend you to apply a really one shadow and light outlining/edging so every part of the mini get separated from the adjacent, (crown/head, weapons/hands, breastplate/skin, etc).

Of course the red with a so kimited palette will look amazing!

Ill have to look how i can achieve this. The crown kind of dissapointed me as it has very curvy edge. Sharp one would be much easier.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Played my first game last night with the new Dark Elves against our arch enemy, the high elves.

The battle was hard fought, but i loss in the end, i'd say mostly due to not remembering alot of things about the cauldron (damn that thing have alot of rules now).

While my executionner was facing a big block of cavalry at -1S -1T, i first COMPLETELY forgot that i could give frenzy to that unit with the 2 dice i had left (my opponent had none left), which pretty much toasted my unit the following turn.
I then completely forgot about reroll to wound, and again, was bit in the ass because of that. Oh, and i also forgot until turn 3 about warlock being able to channel, and turn 4 the rule about non-khainite unit in a unit of witch elves (which i did when i remembered, and didnt lost a single wounds)...

overall, i really liked my list, and how the dark elves play, and i think as long as i do not face Cannon, i'll love it.

On a side note, Warlock, seriously? Best. Bunker. Killer. Ever. anyone trying to play safe with his little mage in a small bunker of archer or whatever is TOASTED turn 1, turn 2 if i'm not lucky. Looking forward to my next game.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Small update. I did finish 7 witches, but they're all the same, so no real reason to post picture of them. I'll get one up once i'm done with the last 3...

I did start on my Kharybdiss, decided to keep my limited palette and go for a very... out of ordinary color scheme.

sorry for the crappy background and light effect, i'm currently painting it, and didn't take too much time to set up my photo boot properly.

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I'm not too sold on the blue skin for your witch elves, but the colour scheme for the Kharybdiss is really ace! I can't wait to se it finished! :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

very quiet the past few days, but i been hard at work at completing my new Cauldron.

right now, i have nearly completed the frame, using again the same color i used on my WE's NMM. I'm not expecting everyone to like it, but i'm pretty happy with the result so far. With the stairs, i hope it'll be a nice center piece.

on the picture, i can spot about a hundred mistake, but this army isnt supposed to be a Golden demon army anyway,
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Today was an expansive day ;

i ordered a Kharibdyss (getting good at spelling it!), 4x Dark Rider/Warlocks (for 10 each), and 2x Executionner. Already had 30 in metal... but i really, REALLY hate how heavy metal is, especially when its just one unit on a whole army. Good news is that there's still online market with 25% rebate (And free shipping!). Just gotta wait a bit longer.... So my army is complete, except for an extra 10 Executionner i'll be getting in a few weeks, since my painting is falling behind vs the model purchased, big time.
FromNaggarothWLove
Slave on the Altar

Post by FromNaggarothWLove »

Great army!

Really liking the executioners/BG... I'm planning myself to make BG even though it seems like a terrible points decision.