Witch Elf hair colours

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Jabroniville
Warrior

Witch Elf hair colours

Post by Jabroniville »

Most of what I see online are white-haired Witch Elves, which fits the official GW colours (Dark Elves are one of the few armies where the official colour actually looks just as good as most alternates). Has anyone here had any luck with alternate colours looking good? I think black hair might make them look too much like the Sorceresses (assuming you use black hair in that case). I actually think crimson-coloured hair might look good, for instance.

Also, do you give the entire unit the same hair colour? In this case, Witch Elf hair is actually one of the biggest colours in the entire unit (second next to their bare skin), so would giving some of them different hair make the unit look too disjointed? It kind of bothers me that an ENTIRE UNIT of women would have identical hair colours (though I guess there could be a fluff reason), but I'm concerned about it looking weird if I gave some of them different hair.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Witch Elf hair colours

Post by Omnichron »

Jabroniville wrote:It kind of bothers me that an ENTIRE UNIT of women would have identical hair colours

Well, all the women in the entire city I live in has light striped blonde hair now :lol:

I went with bloody red hair on my first WE, and red clothes, brown leather and darkened metal on my first WE. It worked pretty well as I wanted them to look kinda aggressive and deadly, and we all know that red is an aggressive color.

Now I am thinking of going for a dark hair, somewhat alike the sorceresses, with a hint of blue that shines through with the light... that is the plan at least. I might go for something else as I might change the color scheme of the skin of my new WE. Using entirely black is a bad thing though, so I will just wash a dark blue down with nuln oil (or whatever it's called now), and then highlight it again.

Maybe blonde babe look would be nice on my new WE! :P
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Ohh.. perhaps they can be modded to baywatch babes. Blonde, brunette, and red outfits.
"Some people stand in the darkness... Ready to step into the fight.. Some people need to kill that body, when the edge of surrender's in sight..."

Personally, I'll be going for black hair with white and blue streaks. Blue is the main color of my army. It should bring enough variation.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

I've never seen an elf army where the hair colors varied, but why not? Mine are black, streaked with grey for characters, but you can do different colors if you want. Post pics!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Omnichron wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:It kind of bothers me that an ENTIRE UNIT of women would have identical hair colours

Well, all the women in the entire city I live in has light striped blonde hair now :lol:

@Jabroniville: it's perfectly reasonable to have the same hair color. Consider ancient Japanese, Africans, the native people of north and south America.....you'd be hard pressed to find a person who didn't have black hair among hundreds of thousands of people. Add to that a crazed cult of psychopaths (and chicks on top of that).... And one shouldn't be surprised that they have the same hair. As Omnichron pointed out above...modern women tend to have the same hair even in a racially mixed heterogenous society.

P.s. I have one blonde among my three dark elf armies, just for fun as an homage to my wife :D That's her in my avatar picture.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Lion of flanders wrote:P.s. I have one blonde among my three dark elf armies, just for fun as an homage to my wife :D That's her in my avatar picture.

Your wife is a Witch Elf?

On the topic of hair colour, variety is the exception in human societies;

Go almost anywhere on earth that isn't European or European settled and almost everyone has the exact same hair colour (black).

For my new school witches, I'll be going for the unoriginal choice of my old school paint job of Black hair.

But I think there is a lot of creative scope for making these new models look good when it comes to hair colour 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

My witches have purple hair to tie in with threat of my army, but I used several slight variations in the washes to give a little variation. That was good English.

Works well with their black and silver armor and pale skin
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
Jabroniville
Warrior

Post by Jabroniville »

Hah, yeah good point about most non-white people having the same hair colour. Of course High Elves seem to have any colour, so maybe people from Naggaroth were just racially-limited and stuck with black (for men & Sorceresses) and white (for Witch Elves). Maybe they all dye it white so it'll show blood stains more easily? Sounds like something they'd do :).
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

mine will be bald. . as soon as i managed to shave them. 8balls ftw ;)
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

@ Jabroniville

I think there is something in the 4th edition fluff about them dying their hair for precisely that reason

Also, fluff from a different Universe (which I found interesting):

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Elven_Characteristics
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Melle wrote:mine will be bald. . as soon as i managed to shave them. 8balls ftw ;)

Please, PLEASE tell me you are painting 8's on their heads!
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

If I were painting them I'd pick a hair colour that is both outlandish and contrasts well with the colourscheme of the regular units. Say, turquoise hair if you go for the standard purple and black scheme, or a poisonous green if you're painting them red. A spot colour like that will set these ladies further apart from the 'traditional' druchii units.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I have variety in mine. 2 reds, 2 blondes, the rest black. The new ones I still have to paint will probably even out the numbers a bit more, probably more blonds than reds.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I seem to be the exception here. Mine range from black to Morethai's light blonde (she was born before the Sundering and was therefore originally a High Elf).

I grant you that dark colors are more common, but there are a few blondes in my army, even among the witches.

My dark steeds are much the same. Black may be the most common, but steel greys, liver chestnuts, and dark bays all make fairly regular appearances. It keeps the army from looking too uniform.