Warlocks_From research to models

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

Warlocks_From research to models

Post by Strollinthewoods »

Im starting my own warlock thread.- This one is going to end with the completion of 2x5 warlock units.

So far in the process Im still doing research. Well, that is to say, I have already ordered marauder horses.
Read through all the fluff I could find regarding Dark Steeds.- that is to say I read the current, book, and back as far as the 5ed book. (was quite the trip down memory lane to be honest to see those familiar pages)

I like the 7ed fluff the best to be honest. When it comes to the dark riders. And I very much like the name Raven Heralds. Warlocks is not dark riders though. - but I just might end up stealing some of the raven feathers anyway.

What I dont like about the warlocks, is plenty-full, but among them is the fact that I think they look stupid. In the original sense of the word I mean. And that\s not what I want. They were among the best - male wizards - and I they were elves. I want them to look like intelligent elves, who desperately is fighting against the grasp of slaanesh.

Did some research with regard to the spells:
Doombolt is described as a bolt of blazing black fire.
Soulblight is from Shyish, the purple Wind of Magic. Shyish is said to be formed by the realization of the transience of life, of reminiscences of days gone by, of mortal acceptance of the day currently lived. It blows from the past and into the future. It blows most strongly when death must be faced or endings take place.

The Doomfire Warlocks themselves should have dark runes that blaze into life on their flesh - resulting in a unholy fire that creeps slowly across the skin.
They need sacrifices to the Dark Prince to stop the flames from killing them.

So there can be different grades of the unholy fire, - depending on how long since eacy warlock made a sacrifice - I will see if I can use this in some minor way later.
Also there is the black magic that blazes from the doombolt.- and the soulblight is purpule ish in color. And then there is the fire that have no conection to the two other, but is not further described other than the connection to the dark runes. And that it creeps slowly across the skin.
I like the idea, of a fire that burns on the soul - and does not ignite on things of inanimate nature - the way I like to see it is that it could well be that it wont burn clothes. So no need to be half naked, if this is they way I like to see it :D

I think finding the right style of weapon would be a smart place to start when coming up with an over all design. Rely have to fight the urge to make them fight with 2 hand weapons, - but will try to resist that urge.- as they clearly don`t. They just have 2 A.

Started doodling on a weapon design on the subway home from work today. - The initial idea, is to see if I can incorporate a hook into the design of the sword. And then I thought about a way to hook up the sword to a rope, - you would to this prior to using the hook when going after sacrificial victims. - This way you don`t need to put away your sword and can use the same hand for both fighting and capturing.

The hole in the first design was to connect to the grappling hook, in a non mechanical way.
Then on the second attempt, - i liked the idea of using the sword back handed also like a usable way of fighting with the sword.- I imagine it could almost double as a kind of arm shield when used this way. Did some minor changes to they way the handles curves on the backside to start playing with this idea. And Im thinking I would like to investigate it further. The scale is a bit off - want it to look more like a small sword, than a dagger that it does now.

Been looking around for inspiration and this painting really is very close to what I could envision the warlocks to look like. And I like the idea of having the sword on the back.- I did not get that for that picture though, -. but from the hole in the sword drawing, - that made med think of the motorcycle scene in advent children.- and I will see that again and look for cool sword poses when "riding"

Cant wait to get my horses :badh:
Artfactial
Warrior

Re: Warlocks_From research to models

Post by Artfactial »

I'm gathering you are planning om sculpting most of the riders themselves?

Regardless: I found a blazing sorcerer on horse model that might fit the description of both your and Genghis' vision.
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product ... emissary-1

Now, this costs more than an entire unit of GW models so perhaps its best to just take it as a inspiration or a unit champ if you really want to deck out on this.
The head is interchangeable and it seems that this is the only portion of the model that might not comply to your ideas (apart form the sword perhaps)

Just throwing it in, it's a lovely model manufacturer, if anything.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Sounds like a great idea. I'm trying to decide how to make Warlocks as well as I agree with you that the stock figures are not doing it for me. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I don't mind the warlocks as they are, but I'm certainly going to keep a close eye on this topic.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

tnx for the inspirational picture Artfact. This is just the type of things I like to see. As you have probably guessed, I am determined to try and include the unholy fire onto the models in varying degrees.
So this was a nice model to study. Not had much time to work on this since yesterday, but did get time to do a sketch again on the subway home from work.

One idea that came today, was that it would probably be a good idea to make the hook fold-able, when the sword is not in use, so he does not end up doing more harm to himself that his enemies =)
Karond
Dark Rider

Post by Karond »

I see lots of nasty self-inflicted wounds with that hook.
"The call for blood can only be answered in sundered flesh"
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

Im aware of the possibility of self injury =) Thasts why im trying to make an effort to make it less suicidal to use :killed: Small stuff like the little curved bit, stopping your hand from gliding into the hook. The hook should be able to work as a shield for the hand, and the blade for the arm - And I added the little hook one the blade itself to stop enemy blades from sliding down to your hand when you use it in a defensive manner.

Made a quick drawing of how I imagine this would look, more or less.

Appreciate feedback on the ideas behind the designs . and also if you come up with cool little details, that a warlock should have.

Maybe I should not indicate a blade on the hook at all, but keep it more like a round hook. Kind of more like something you would use on a fish.
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

They can miscast and die, so self inflicted wounds are fluffy ,
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

They also belong to Slaanesh, so masochism is well in line.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Heartshiver
Warrior

Post by Heartshiver »

Wow, superb sketches. I wish I had your talent. The designs themselves look great too.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

The designs look great. If you really make these, would you please somehow reproduce and sell them? :)
I will definitely be following this thread closely. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

Horses arrived in the mail today :D I am always a bit hesitant when I order models from new places. But Hoard o Bits passed the first test, and delivered as promised. I`m guessing its not the last time I will look for bits there in the future. The marauder horses are just awesome. Hoping to get back on track with the warlocks, now that I have the horses.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

the concept and drawings are really cool..looking forward to see the models
Death before dishonor
Karond
Dark Rider

Post by Karond »

Ever get round to making any of the models?
"The call for blood can only be answered in sundered flesh"
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

You have a real talent for dynamic sketching! I'd love to see the models too.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~