[PLOG] The Clan of Bo

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Meraklis
Trainee Warrior

Re: [PLOG] The Clan of Bo

Post by Meraklis »

it seems like he has used the HE bolt thrower with a dark ark corsair and a cold one chariot charioteer as crew... no?
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Sorry that I took so long to answer. I kind of vanished down a deep hole this week.

About the reaper bolt thrower: I cut off the 'arms' of a high elf bolt thrower and replaced them with the rudders from dark eldar raiders (sliced about in half). Then I glued some spare spiky blades (also from raiders) on top of the joints as stays and to make it look less flat, and the spare back bit from a reaver jetbike underneath. There's also a flat skull symbol thingie in the front that I found somewhere, but you can barely see it in the photo.

The guy on the right is the other rider from the cold one chariot (the one that was replaced by Boanne!) The other one is a black ark corsair, obviously. I had meant to 'darkify' the crew from the high elf kit, but I just couldn't see a way to do it that would look good.

@Gidean: Mouths are very fiddly and kind of hard to explain... I'll try to take pictures 'step by step' next time, but with my luck it will turn out awful.

If the mouth is closed, then you sort of draw a line in dark brown across the crease, or if it's open, you fill it in. You paint the teeth in white, leaving a line of brown between them and the upper lip. Paint in the tongue (if there is a tongue) in pink, leaving a line of dark brown between it and the lower teeth (if there are lower teeth), and paint the lower teeth in white (if there are lower teeth). Sometimes it's hard to tell, so you fudge a little on whether you're painting a tongue or lower teeth.

If it's a girl, you apply an appropriate lipstick colour in kind of the same way as you would in real life. I usually get smudges, but instead of wiping it off (which wouldn't work) I cover them up again with the skin colour of the face. Over the lower lip I take a lighter shade of the lipstick colour and apply it as a highlight. If it's a boy, I only colour in the lower lip in a light pink mixed in with the skin colour of the face (and no highlight).

It's really not so much a 'technique' as an awful lot of fiddly work! :)
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

I haven't even started with the warlocks yet, but here is Lady Bo on foot (because her chariot always crashes and breaks into pieces!):

I said I would show how I painted the mouth step by step, so:

Here I've only painted the skin on the face. It's a base of Rakarth Flesh with a layer of Pallid Wych Flesh, a glaze of pink (Emperor's Children, I think), and a light wash of Reikland Fleshshade around the eyes, mouth, and nose.

Here I've filled in the eyes with black (not very well), and painted the teeth with white.

I've painted in the eyeballs and the pupils. The pupil of the right eye has a flaw in it: I'll fix that later. I also applied colour to her lips. She's a dark redhead, so I decided on a dark coral pink, Tuskgor Fur darkened a little bit with brown. She looks as if she has applied her lipstick in the dark right now, but I'm not going to fix that yet.

I've applied a layer of Emperor's Children (medium pink) to her lips over the previous colour, and a highlight of light pink to her lower lip (Fulgrim Pink, but you could just mix it with white). I also fixed the eye. Oh, and her arm fell off.

I applied highlights of Pallid Wych Flesh to her face and at the same time fixed the smudges around her mouth with the basic flesh colour. I also covered the black smudge under her eye, applied a little blush to her cheeks to highlight her cheekbones, and a little bit of eye shadow, and a little bit of red to her scar. Her eyebrows still need fixing and of course the rest of her still needs to be painted!
Last edited by Barking Agatha on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

beautiful - and thanks for the step by step, I like your process.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I concur. Nice to have a step by step guide for faces.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Amboadine wrote:I concur. Nice to have a step by step guide for faces.

I too am happy you posted it. Convinced me I cannot do it. LOL Must be a combination of weaker eyes and less steady hands in my older age. I think I need to be content with faces that just have recesses from a wash. :(
Khazmando
Trainee Warrior

Post by Khazmando »

I love the armour of your Bo Guard (your whole army in fact), what colours did you use on them? Loving the dark iron look.
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Barking Agatha wrote:

I've applied a layer of Emperor's Children (medium pink) to her lips over the previous colour, and a highlight of light pink to her lower lip (Fulgrim Pink, but you could just mix it with white). I also fixed the eye. Oh, and her arm fell off.

I applied highlights of Pallid Wych Flesh to her face and at the same time fixed the smudges around her mouth with the basic flesh colour. I also covered the black smudge under her eye, applied a little blush to her cheeks to highlight her cheekbones, and a little bit of eye shadow, and a little bit of red to her scar. Her eyebrows still need fixing and of course the rest of her still needs to be painted!

Thanks for providing the steps very useful. I noticed in the first image above there are some little raised areas/specks present on the faces (not the smudges you described), I'm not sure what causes it, it looks like the same thing I get on my figs sometimes too. In the lower picture they seem to be gone. Any ideas or is there something you do to address that?

Anyway your stuff looks great, hope to see more stuff.
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Khazmando wrote:I love the armour of your Bo Guard (your whole army in fact), what colours did you use on them? Loving the dark iron look.

Incubi Darkness, then Dark Reaper, Nuln Oil in the recesses, and Thunderhawk Blue for the highlights. :)

r530 wrote:Thanks for providing the steps very useful. I noticed in the first image above there are some little raised areas/specks present on the faces (not the smudges you described), I'm not sure what causes it, it looks like the same thing I get on my figs sometimes too. In the lower picture they seem to be gone. Any ideas or is there something you do to address that?

Probably dust specks that sneak in, or impurities in the paint? You can scrape them off (carefully!) with a 'scraping tool' (I use a sword bit that looks like it might be from a chaos warrior or some kind of space marine, but I have no idea where I found it!)
Khazmando
Trainee Warrior

Post by Khazmando »

Thank you Barking Agatha. Looking forward to seeing more of your work :)
r1d3
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by r1d3 »

This is great!
I had the same question in mind as Khazmando. Thx for the reply.
Just love the army.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Lovely model (as always, your army is simply stunning!) and thanks for the tutorial, it's very helpful.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

I have warlocks now!

The Bo 'locks:

Last edited by Barking Agatha on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Barking Agatha wrote:
The Bo 'locks:

!lol! Brilliant, and the painting ain't bad either!
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

nice work, I especially like the way you did the glowing eyes... I might just have to do the same on mine. Thanks for posting!
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Shadowstalker18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shadowstalker18 »

Very nice minis!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice work. Whole army is coming together well.
Wiggen
Corsair

Post by Wiggen »

Very nice models and paintjobs in this thread!
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Five Shades of Bo:

Last edited by Barking Agatha on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Beautifully done. They look great.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Those shades look great, especially the way you have built them from various bits. Actually tempting to do some more on my own like yours if it wasn`t for the gut feeling some new ones will be released soonish ;)
Shadowstalker18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shadowstalker18 »

Love the colors! I really feel like the handbows are the perfect size for the shades. The others just seem too large imo.
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Here's something a little bit different. It isn't Dark Elves... sorry! :)

Last edited by Barking Agatha on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

These are truly amazing! :shock: :shock: :shock:
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Thanks, Rowena! :)