Raging Heroes Kickstarter is open! Caution NSFW

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Rowena
Highborn

Re: Raging Heroes Kickstarter is open!

Post by Rowena »

Amboadine wrote:Think I am going to commit. Been deciding for the last week, but there are so many options to fulfil my Cult of Slaanesh end goal.

Go for it. :) I have to say this thing is making me sorry we are not doing Slaaneshi theme ourselves.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
General Kael
Shade

Post by General Kael »

Whoa, I am defiantly on board for this :shock:

There are so many good sculpts for my dark elves and for my slaanesh army I don't know which ones to choose! I WANT THEM ALL!!!!
They are a quality model company and are priced accordingly in my opinion. I am glad they are making the blood vestals in plastic, I have the metal ones and while great sculpts I cant stand working with metal.
A minor gripe would be that it has been two years since the last kickstarter and I haven't received my models yet (besides the freebies). It was their first kickstarter so there were a few hiccups, and they always went back and fixed/changed any problems which added to the time. And I would like to say that they are excellent about listening to feedback from their backers.
My wallet is going to hurt after this one :?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Three words for today....Oh My Goodness.....

Post by Lion of flanders »

It just keeps getting cooler......check out today's freebie....

That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

Rowena wrote:They mentioned somewhere they were planning crossbows at some point, so maybe they will appear as later stretch goals or as weapon options for some troops?

Apparently there's alternative crossbow weapons for the Sisters so they're also usable in a fantasy setting.
Actually, the first freebie is one.

Description: "In the meantime, let me introduce you to Sister Celenia, a sister scout. The Sisters prefer to use the term “scout” but in fact these girls mainly act as assassins...
You'll be able to use her in a fantasy or a sci-fi army as there will be an option to transform her pistol into a crossbow. "

Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

Marchosias wrote:Not really.
Ten GW spearmen cost 20 pounds which equals to about 33 dollars. 10 RH spearelves are 31 dollars.
Ten GW sisters of slaughter cost 35 pounds or 59 dollars. Ten RH spearelves would be a good alternative for them.
Ten GW black guards or executioners: 30 pounds, 50 dollars. Ten RH equivalents: 44 dollars.
GW hydra: 45 pounds, 75 dollars. RH hydra: 45 dollars.
GW chariot: 25 pounds, 42 dollars. RH chariot: 35 dollars.
GW foot heroes: at least 8 pounds, 13 dollars. RH heroines: 10 dollars, 15 if they have too epic cloaks and such.

So yes, Raging Heroes production is quite expensive... but it is in no way worse than what GW is doing.

By the way, Darkmark, I understand your cautiousness but it should not take three years to produce the sculpts. The previous kickstarter took two and now they should hopefully be more experienced and thus somewhat faster. :)

Well .. not to say that the RG minis don't look great but here there's a lot of shops that sell GW stuff with a standard 20% discount:

Ten GW spearmen cost 20 euro/28 dollars. 10 RH spearelves are 31 dollars.
Ten GW sisters of slaughter cost 36 euro/48 dollars. Ten RH spearelves would be a good alternative for them.
Ten GW black guards or executioners: 32 euro/40 dollars. Ten RH equivalents: 44 dollars.
GW hydra: 40 euro/52 dollars. RH hydra: 45 dollars.
GW chariot: 28 euro/32 dollars. RH chariot: 35 dollars.

Especially with the current euro/dollar exchange rates it's not getting any cheaper if you have to pay in $.
Next to that, you can get plenty of cheap 2nd hand GW stuff on eBay and the like, ofc. Especially units like spearmen.

Of course I pledged for the RH KS 8) , a little price difference isn't a deciding factor (a cauldron for $180 is a bit too much, though)!
Although I have no idea yet what I'm going to pick in the PM as I'll wait for the renders first. But the many alternative heads and such sound very good, I don't really like my girls to wear helmets and masks and stuff to hide their faces and hair.
And well, ETA is march 2016 - so you'd better not be in a hurry! :lol:
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

That cauldron was the main thing that made me flip out.

I'm going to sound like the old geezer in the room right now, but it's true - when I started in this hobby $180-$200 was enough to get a whole army with some lists (Chaos Warriors particularly).
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

direweasel wrote:That cauldron was the main thing that made me flip out.

I'm going to sound like the old geezer in the room right now, but it's true - when I started in this hobby $180-$200 was enough to get a whole army with some lists (Chaos Warriors particularly).

It does however look huge. I can't really comment on the price when I think back on what I spent on Eldar forgeworld vehicles. Selling those is what is going to finance this for me.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Yes, the cauldron is really expensive and really huge. I'm wondering if it's even going to fit on the required base, but it looks absolutely incredible. If it wasn't Raging Heroes, I wouldn't believe that thing can actually be made.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

direweasel wrote:That cauldron was the main thing that made me flip out.

I am definately one of the oldsters as well....and can also remember way back when. For me however, when I started in the hobby, figures cost about $1.00 each. Today, these beautiful works of art cost about $3-$10 each, which is a lot more of course in absolute terms, but for me, the cost today is so minute compared to what it took for me as a kid to come up with the cash for a few dozen figures.

I think of the enjoyment that I'll get from painting these awesome figures....plus playing games with them for who knows how long is just a plus. So...I'd recommend buying what you like and can afford, and not what you don't and can't....keeping in mind that a drink in a pub costs as much as a figure and doesn't last near as long :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

Really looking forward to the cold one renders, they look pretty promising!! :P
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Just spreading the word, there are new bonus unlocks and increase in the value of the freebies. (From how I understand it the number stays the same, but with more expensive models, so maybe upgrades to them?)

See the update in which they talk about it here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lo ... ts/1185905
My painting blog

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Have you seen the newest freebie model? Because... wow!

My painting blog

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

For other news, someone missed crossbowmen? Well, only 30k left (which is extremely likely for the kickstarter to achieve) and crossbows will be unlocked! :)

To be more precise, their spearelves will still be purchasable armed with spears but in addition, the option of a new box will be made where they will be equipped with crossbows.

So, still no shades but some stunning darkshards. Not sure if they had planned it all the time or if they reacted on the run but they are surely doing what they can. :)
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Rowena wrote:Have you seen the newest freebie model? Because... wow!

Wow indeed....it just keeps getting more freakin' awesome....I know what I'll be painting in 2016.....
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Hmm, so I must say I quite like what I've seen. Probably my biggest concern is that the concept art is a little 'sketchy', if you know what I mean? I wonder how well that will translate to actual model details. Take the head gear on this last mini above, for example. Its crazy over the top and the wrist 'plumes' look impossible to have on a real mini.

How long was it after the 1st KS that models went to retail? I want to see actual minis before I go all in for the range/s.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Darkmark wrote:Hmm, so I must say I quite like what I've seen. Probably my biggest concern is that the concept art is a little 'sketchy', if you know what I mean? I wonder how well that will translate to actual model details. Take the head gear on this last mini above, for example. Its crazy over the top and the wrist 'plumes' look impossible to have on a real mini.

How long was it after the 1st KS that models went to retail? I want to see actual minis before I go all in for the range/s.

You can check their first KS for examples how well they are able to translate concept art into actual miniatures.
A few of the models are in retail now (since January or so, maybe?), but most of them are still not, so it might be a long wait. I know there are some I really want.
My painting blog

Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

Darkmark wrote:Hmm, so I must say I quite like what I've seen. Probably my biggest concern is that the concept art is a little 'sketchy', if you know what I mean? I wonder how well that will translate to actual model details. Take the head gear on this last mini above, for example. Its crazy over the top and the wrist 'plumes' look impossible to have on a real mini.

For me it's a bit the same. I pledged but I find it a bit confusing to pick which models, as some are do not even have any artwork, let alone renders. Even the previous TGG KS still doesn't have all the artwork shown on the main page (I regret not pledging because I overlooked the Soul-Weavers, which are absolutely gorgeous)!
Also, although I love the fact that they add alternative heads and weapons, we basically have no idea how they are going to look. I would really like to have at least some preview sketch; are they alternative helmets - or unarmoured heads with hair (which I would prefer, not in the least for coversion options)? To a lesser extent it's the same for the alternative weapons.

Generally I think I like the regular troops a bit more than the extravagant leaders and heroines, which I will almost certainly "tone down" a bit by replacing their weapons and removing most of the skulls (almost all the heroins have them, which I think is a bit over the top). For my pledge I think I will take a sorceress or two, some halberd, crossbow and cold one troops (perhaps the chariot as well) and probably some fantasy sisters too (as I like the theme). A bit disppointed in the executioners.
Too bad the orphanage kids all have a "steampunky" look to them, which doesn't really suit the (my) theme; I liked the former KS kids a lot better. The stingrays are nice too - but they don' t really fit the DE army - unless you use them as alternative warhawks in an ET army (or in your woodelf army, if you have one).
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Yeesh that last model - I didn't think my jaw could drop any lower. That's what Helebron should have been.

@Lion 2016? I'm thinking that this release will be closer to 2017 given the time delays on the last project. We should totally do I combined thread of everyone's Raging Hero stuff!
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

@ Teowulff: Last kickstarter, the alternative heads were usually unarmoured heads with hair so I suppose we can assume this in this case, too.

And will be able to select what models you want after the renders are done. I think at least. If I understand it correctly, then at any stage, you will be able to tell them to send you any combination of the already finished models, provided you do not run out of funds of course. :)

@ Cynath: I personally prefer Kashala as Hellebron but it is a hard call. :)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

If I understood it correctly, the pledge manager will be very open this time. When it is open you only make a sort of "wish list" to help them manage their foundries but only finalise your selection when the models are almost available, so that should enable you to pick based on the most current info. I might be wrong of course, but in any case when the pledge manager even opens there will surely be more renders for you to see.

Marchosias wrote:I personally prefer Kashala as Hellebron but it is a hard call. :)

Easy to solve, I'd say we get both. :)
My painting blog

Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

OK, thanks for the info guys/ gals. I'll still sit the KS out though and wait for retail. I hope all that pledge get great models, and persuade us fence-sitters to join them by posting reviews and painted examples. ;)
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

This is bad because I'll probably have some time over the weekend, but are there any actual miniatures yet? The art is ace, but I can't base a decision solely on that...
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Darkmark wrote:OK, thanks for the info guys/ gals. I'll still sit the KS out though and wait for retail. I hope all that pledge get great models, and persuade us fence-sitters to join them by posting reviews and painted examples. ;)

That's what I said in the last KS (I loved some of the models and persuaded myself I didn't need them when I don't even do sci-fi) and now I regret this decision. But hopefully you won't have to wait as long now that RH have made all the changes in their process they needed to make.

Faeli-n wrote:This is bad because I'll probably have some time over the weekend, but are there any actual miniatures yet? The art is ace, but I can't base a decision solely on that...

There are some WIP renders sprinkled through the concept art, but RH team have said these are something like WIP greenstuff models and still lack many details and finetuning. The actual miniatures don't exist yet, but if you want to check out the quality of their work, you can look at their previous kickstarter. They are perfectionists and it shows. Also, you won't have to choose specific models until there are at least renders of them, so the only danger is you won't like anything - and I think that's highly unlikely. ;)
My painting blog

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Rowena wrote:There are some WIP renders sprinkled through the concept art, but RH team have said these are something like WIP greenstuff models and still lack many details and finetuning. The actual miniatures don't exist yet, but if you want to check out the quality of their work, you can look at their previous kickstarter. They are perfectionists and it shows. Also, you won't have to choose specific models until there are at least renders of them, so the only danger is you won't like anything - and I think that's highly unlikely. ;)

I'll second this point. Look at the previous TGG project. The figures turned out very true to the concept art. I personally can't imagine not ending up with figures that you don't like. As Rowena said, I watched the first TGG project and loved the figures to the point of buying them and I don't play any futurish games! These folks make figures with so much life and character in them that I am real hard pressed to find similar in any other manufacturer today.

Now that being said, I am not too impressed with today's assassin figure. It is uninspiring to say the least, which proves RH humanity...and gives them an opportunity to improve it before all is done :D hint hint.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Pledged at once the kickstarter went live... Even though there will be a long time till any of us receive these miniatures, they will definitly be a nice addition to my army, even just to add a bir of flavour (maybe Cult of Slaanesh style).

Anyways, my main issue is to actually finish painting some of the things I have, especially as I've been rather inactive for two years. Need to get two dragons up as I am going double dragon in the upcoming tourny... speaking of dragons, I hope we will get that in this kickstarter as well :D
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10