Mousekillers Works in Progress: Armies of Order

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Mousekiller
Warrior

Mousekillers Works in Progress: Armies of Order

Post by Mousekiller »

ARMIES OF ORDER

Across the field the uniformed ranks of knights and men-at-arms could be seen, with bright armour gleaming in the sunlight and colorful pennants flying overhead. The majestic ranks lined up in such beautiful uniformity, discipline and dedication undoubted by the Lordling who led this mighty army. But under those gleaming helmets stood the faces of common men and peasants, expressions of fear and doubt clearly on their faces as they looked down upon the massing disorganized ranks of the Orc and Goblin horde across the field. The numbers were not in favor of the Lady this day...

Ok, this week brings us to the update of the Armies of Order: High Elves, Bretonnians, and Empire! My wife surprised me by coming home a week early, so I did not get nearly the amount of work done this week that I intended, but I promised weekly updates so here it is!

Oh, I changed the color of the backdrop for the pictures to black, after advice from several people that the blue was distracting... what are your thoughts?

One last side note, I tried to look up the GW model info on my handy Warseer link, but was having issues pulling it up, hence all the unknown info on the sculptors.

HIGH ELVES:

LORD IMRIK ON DRAGON

Ok, so this one took most of my effort this week. I did the blue belly (not including head and wings), and also the purple scales as well as the little red marks. My wife looked at it and her first recommendation was to make the scales green... which in hindsight would make sense if we are using green for the outer garments on the high elf archer clothes? What are your thoughts? Imrik himself got a touch of gold base... but nothing else.

Manufacturer: Games Workshop
Sculptor: Unknown

HIGH ELF ARCHERS

These guys just got a simple white highlight on the inner garments, and also colored his hair yellow. I had intended to finish his bow and shoes before making the change in color to his sash, but I just did not get it done this week.

EMPIRE:

Fire Wizard: No updates this week.

Celestial Wizard: No updates this week.

HALBARAD, CRUSADER CLERIC (WARRIOR PRIEST)

The only thing I got done on him this week was some highlighting on the comet design. Do you think it needs a small black outline, or is it good as it is now? Also, I tightened up the gold trim around the lower part of the robes (with the buttons).

Manufacturer: Reaper Warlord, 14036 Halbarad, Crusaders Cleric
Sculptor: Werner Klocke

FLAGELLANTS

Beards and a little work on the metal this week. Again, not a huge update. They will be about 20 strong when done, if I do them in two's and three's we should have a good variety of beard colors to use.

EMPIRE MORTAR

Again, not a huge update, but someone recommended that I change the color of the Mortar to more of a bronze... so that is what I got done. Works, doesn't work? More weathering?

BRETONNIA:

PEGASUS KNIGHTS

This one is the first of a unit of three, but overall I am still not happy with him. I feel like he just needs so much more flair than I have given him! Anyway, the shield emblems definitely still need work. Mostly just added a highlight to the horse, but my wife suggests going with a grey or white color for the horse instead. Thoughts?

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Mousekillers Works in Progress: Armies of Order

Post by Amboadine »

The fencing is a nice touch there.
Nice update.
Mousekiller
Warrior

Re: Mousekillers Works in Progress: Armies of Order

Post by Mousekiller »

ARMIES OF GOOD AND ORDER

The walls of the city stood nearly forty feet high, and impressive marvel of engineering as not a crack could be seen amongst the smooth stone front. Across the plains in front of the city a massive army of orcs and goblins stood, poised to overwhelm the puny humans with sheer numbers. The great orc who called himself chief raised a massive axe overhead, and bellowed the command to charge. A rolling tide of green moved across the field. A rain of arrows soon came down from the wall, and the sound of gun shot and cannon erupted shortly after. By the time the horde reached the walls, the great gate opened up to allow the great knights access to clean up what puny remnants remained.

Ok, so I know I have been absent a few weeks, but I have a good reason. My daughter was born on 20 May, almost 5 weeks earlier than we expected. She is still in the NICU, so I have no idea what normal is going to look like for a while, but I will still update as frequently as I can! I have still managed to get some things done on the Armies of Order! Check out the links.

WHAT IS FULLY COMPLETED:

IMPERIAL EMPIRE
Luthor Huss
Ivar Halbarad
Angus Fierbran
10 Spearmen
20 Handgunners

BRETONNIA:

Nothing complete yet.

HIGH ELVES:

Nothing complete yet.

WHATS ON THE TABLE!!!

HIGH ELVES

LORD IMRIK ON DRAGON
The plan with the dragon right now is to paint him up in sections, with the exact same scheme that you see in the tail below (which is about as done as it will be, unless you have comments). I will start Imrik in the future.

ARCHERS
More done on this guy. Shoes, sash, bow, and some other minor bits. What sort of base should we use for these guys? I am thinking ruins and beach like?

EMPIRE:

CELESTIAL WIZARD
Manufacturer: Games Workshop 6th Edition
Sculptor: Colin Grayson and Gary Morley
Worked up the staff and sword. Need to do the gold bits more on the staff, and I want to make more of a glowing haze in the center of the ball on top of the staff.

HALBARAD, WARRIOR PRIEST
Completed, update to the army blog soon!

KNIGHTS PANTHER
3/9 complete. Working on number 4, got the horse done this go around.
Manufacturer: Games Workshop 6th edition, and 4th edition
Sculptors: Alan and Michael Perry

IMPERIAL SPEARMEN
Got the unit of 10 done a while back, but its time to reinforce the unit to about 30 or so. The two new additions are base coated, no highlights yet.

FLAGELLANTS:
Another highlight on the robes, wood bits done, some work on the throw over, pouches, and books.
Sculptor: Alan Perry

MORTAR
Started on the base for the Mortar. Pasticard, sheet foam, spackle, a barrel, and a green rubber band cut to look like a fence keeping the small hill in front of where the mortar will sit up. Need to get a few more bits, some sand, and primer and this thing will start coming together.
Manufacturer: Games Workshop 5th/6th edition.
Sculptor: Alan Perry and Norman Swales.

BRETONNIA:

PEGASUS KNIGHTS
Ok, added some flare with the striping. Going to need some more work to make them look right. Still working out the shield...
Sculptor: Trish Morrison and Dave Thomas

AMBOADINE: Thanks!!!