Elite Photo Album

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Elite Photo Album

Post by Rasputinii »

Good news all,

We have a new gallery!!! The elite Photo gallery is where the best photos uploading on to our albums will be moved. This is where those really good models get to go, so it is easy to locate the real quality work, and to find inspiration from the best.

You can't upload pics to the eleite photos, only mods can move them there, so basically if you in there well done, it means we have noticed you have some good skill.

So congrats to those I have moved there, and come on, to those of you who haven't got there yet. It is a genuine reward. Only 43 pics from over 450, so it really is only the creme de la creme...

Ras
Last edited by Rasputinii on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleased to be back
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

I love the idea, may your name go down in the annals of history as the man who had "The plan!"

Now on to looking at the "good pics."

I understand that the mods get the final say but will the regular viewers have any say on anyone else's to go up to the elite pics?
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I don't see why not. If you see something you think should be there PM any one of us, but in particular myself or one of the PM mods, or Xizor. Oh I dunno, just PM some one....

Ras
Pleased to be back
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Good call Ras.
(Why did'nt I came up with it? ;))
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

Nice!

But as much as I like the Executioners done by mar-win, it feels a tad bit wrong to have a WiP photo in the Elite album. Just my humble oppinion.
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

I don't like it has to be said, first of all it feels wrong without the best painters on the site not having pics in it. If it really is the creme de la creme, which I don't think some of it is, it really should have our best painters in it. Also a lot of the stuff in it is far from amazing and not elite, very good table top quality and some pretty damn good, but very few I'd give more than an 8 or the CMON scale and some of it is frankly poor. The idea could work but, it'd need to be done more by members and have a much tighter scale on it and have all our top painters in. Even then I'm unsure as there might not be enough wow level painting here for it to work for me.
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The top 10% is not quite the créme de la créme lad, maybe the top 3% at best. I'm going to have to agree with Cal, some of those in there are far from "elite" in quality.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Okay, first up, to clarify, these are the elite photos of the album. Many of our best modellers don't use our album (myself included). There is nothing I can do about that. The aim of this category is to allow people to see the best stuff in our album, to help people draw inspiration from others work. Our Album is a obvious starting point for this, but trawling through the single miniatures cataegory was far from condusive to not going mad. All this does is allow people to see the best stuff in the D.net album, nothing more, and nothing less. I agree it would be great to have all the best pics in the world there, but many people just wont use the album, including myself. It doesn't work on my computer so I can't use it even if I want to.

As to the some of it isn't great, well I'm gonna defend it all. Sure its not all GD standard, and sure alot of it is very good table quality, but with the definition given above the stuff is all aplicable to the gallery. Its not about getting an award winning gallery to rival a GD, its about showing our best from out album. I made a judement call, based on the criterion above I deemed those pics suitable, but I also decided that we need about 40 pictures, anything less and it would be too elite, which isn't what it is all about.

I'm sorry if it isn't quite what you have dreamed of, but it is what I proposed, and perhaps the name is wrong (ha, I didn't name it), but I think it is a useful resource, and a good selection of work, we will never get all the best apinters to use the album, so we do the best we can.

Ras
Pleased to be back
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I would want to contribute some of the models in my collection which stick out above the rest, but sadly the picture quality would be insufficient to merit an 'elite' status. I think this is a good initiative, and it should be seen within the context of this site's visitors, instead of being compared to CMoN and assorted sites.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Damnation, exactly right on both counts. Your work was gonna get in, but I couldn't really see it through that mist ;)....
Pleased to be back
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Ofcourse not all our "best of the best" is in it (yet), it's a start and I think it's
a coal to others aswell. If you end up in this 40 top rated painters you have to be
good. Or you do'nt juse the f*****g album. Juse it and than, after using it,
complain. Get good pictures, if you do'nt, stop whining. Simple.
Again, good initiative Ras.
MDK.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

@ Prince Cal,

If you think certain people should be in there, or certain photos should be in there, by all means recommend them. I think everyone is very much willing to listen.

The thing is that only the moderators can actually add a person, and I cannot see any other way of doing it with the code for the album that I have. Obviously people can also use the voting option to strongly swing a photo either way. We can list the photos by voting status as well, so if we see top votes we can add those in. Anyone got any other ideas?

If we don't like the name, think of another suitable name, please.

Remember I just fixed the photo-album so it should work, even for Ras. Start uploading.

You see it only gets good by helping out, so help out and start this thing up. Otherwise it will sit there and stagnate to death. Ras cannot do it alone.

Sitting back and getting angry about it isn't going to get us anywhere except to the status of "old men sitting around the porch complaining 'bout the government but not doing nothing 'bout it." ;)
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Langmann wrote:Ras cannot do it alone.

I beg to differ ;)

Basically wot the ova 2 said. In it. We are willing to listen to recormendations, I do take in to account how people vote, although I ignored a few 9s and even 1 10!
Pleased to be back
Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

Well most the people I'd suggest don't use the album for the reasons ras noted, so my solution would be simply to rename it to something like"The Elite of the Album" which would be more of the truth.
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Prince Cal wrote:Well most the people I'd suggest don't use the album for the reasons ras noted, so my solution

Or another solution is to figure out why they cannot use the album.

Have some of them contact me and see if we can figure it out. Remember I just fixed the album so maybe it works for them now.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Aachil lathanast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Aachil lathanast »

I really like the idea. It is a easy way to find all those minnies that stand out, when you are looking for inspiration (like the hydra from easdma).
But I have really not expected to see a pic of my minnie in the album.
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Good idea Ras man, I like it. Hopefully Ill try and get some of my stuff in there...if I can get some good photos.

Whilst im not a Painting & Modelling Mod, I do take a great interest in that forum and all that is posted there, so I will happily help out and take nominations or whatever...as Ras said, just PM me!

Chris
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

I would have agreed upon it is a good initiative if the models included actually was "elite" painted.

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=1874

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=461

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=448

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=677

Can someone explain to me how these minis are elite?
The name certianly does bother me, well it wouldnt if they minis in there actually were good painted.
I do not mean that this is a stupid initiative, all I ask is to be more selective.

However, Damnation has a good point there... might not be clever to keep it at a "uber painter"-level either.

"Members Favourites" not exciting but it gets the message through and clearly state it isnt necessarly great minis, just minis with a certain flair.

cheers dancey
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Okay, well as I choose them I can explain why. So in order:

1) Because they are supebly well apinted, with a very nice colour scheme. Quality wise I feel that is one of the bestpieces there. Okay its WIP, thats not great, but the corsair isn't WIP, so I put it in.

2) It is well painted, and certainly in the top 5% of stuff in the album. Its also a simple conversion that might inspire people.

3) The fiend of Slaanesh. Its not the best painted thing in there, but its a good convo, and one that is a good solution to a common question, and thus it deserves a place there so when people are lookign for inspiration it is there, easy to see.

4) The Exces are reasonbly painted, but are a very nice little convo, one that is really cheap and a very good solution to another problem. Its there for that reason alone.

What people seem to be missing is that the gallery is partly there to show the best of our album but also so when people are looking for inspiration they need only go to one gallery, and that means sometime I am gonna put good ideas and convos in, when they aren't neccesarily the best painted pieces.

Ras
Pleased to be back
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

1. nicely painted? its not bad but its not especially fantastic either. Average painting I´d say.

2. face,lips and blending is too sharp. an OK mini.

3. While being a decent convo its overall appearence is... less than good.

4. True, cheap and decent conversions.

Perhaps re-naming the gallery into "inspirational gallery" or something less misleading cause right now it looks like you´re entering the best of the best of painters at d.net... which isnt really true.
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

We can change the name, but I'd like to hear some more suggestions because I haven't heard a completely catchy one yet.
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

Ras,

you are known as a creative man. Your minis ara innovative, inspiring, unusual, revolutional. If you pick a mini and want to show it in this particular gallery, pls explain why you do it in each case. This will help all of us to understand why that mini should be noted.

I definitely agree with some of the above stated oppinions, that some of the minis in the gallery are rather - not poor but - simply far from elite. Does it change anything? No. The only thing that happens is, that you dedicate your time and effort into an activity which does not seem authentic enough to others, which is a problem. If something is good tell us why you think so.

"Look at the colour conception. Look at the snowy effect. Look at the hair. Look at the ...."

Definitely I find it to be empty to just pick up some of the existing photos to tell "this painter is better than others". Definitely this is not your point but this is exactly the way so many people will understand it as it is the basic human nature to compare. "Why my superb mini is not there? It got 10.5 in the local kindergarten Golden-Demon-in-diapers competition."

Use your well deserved authority in modelling to teach your fellas, to help them rise. Do it effectively!

BTW, thanks for the innitiative and your work for the site. This I think should have been said first.

Savo
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!