how to destroy Steam Tank of Empire

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sephi
Slave on the Altar

how to destroy Steam Tank of Empire

Post by Sephi »

When i face to a Steam Tank of 7th Empire, how can i do to destroy it?

Some comments in 262 White Drawf can use it now?

Now I use Orc&Goblin.
When i face to the steam tank, i feel so weak...
My bolt thrower's accuracy is so poor... and i have not cannon...
1+ armour save is so hard for me.

In 6th empire rule, steam tank max have one per full 2000 point.

In army book of 7th empire, steam tank can use in 750\1000\1500 fight ?
And one army can have two tank in it ?

which is be use now?

Thank you for all comments~~~
Fellblade
Noble
Location: Cell 5, isolation ward. Quarantine measures in effect.

Post by Fellblade »

The new edition makes the Steam Tank a rare choice, so you can include them in any list that has a rare slot. And yes, in 2000 points or above, you may take more than one.

It can be damaged by S3 attacks, though you need to roll sixes. The 1+ armor save is a problem, but if you can do a lot of wounds, there is always the chance of the Empire player rolling ones for his save. (Please note that as a war machine, the tank is not affected by poison- so don't send in spider riders.)

High-strength attacks reduce the save as usual.
Rock lobbas, Doom Divers, & Spear Chuckas are your best hope to cause wounds early in the game. Fanatics are risky, but with luck can do a massive amount of damage in a single turn. A giant is more risky, since there is a good chance his random attack will be one that causes little damage. Also, if he gets charged by the tank, he will likely get killed. You could suicide-charge a boar chariot into the tank, but the chariot takes d6 impact hits back, so it will likely die before the boars & crew can attack.
A big unit of trolls with a kitted-up combat Boss, maybe on a boar, is probably your best bet for taking it out in hand-to-hand.

Keep in mind, for every point of damage the steam tank takes, it becomes more and more risky to generate steam points, so even a few wounds can dramatically reduce its effectiveness. Don't worry about destroying it; just try to cripple it to the point that your opponent can only generate one or two steam points per turn in relative safety.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Try using a Night Goblin big Boss on Giant Squig with the Walloper's One Hit Wonder, Enchanted Shield and Guzzla's Backbone Brew. The 4 ST10 hits should hurt it enough to finish it off with a good Spear Chukka shot or Lobba hit!
Ostron
Assassin

Post by Ostron »

Massed attacks actually slow it down rather effectively; a unit of regular orcs could probably tie it up for a good long time.

Just keep in mind when you throw a unit at it that you're probably not getting that unit back; The steam tank does lose it's effectiveness as its wounds go, but it's still an almighty big hunk of unbreakable metal. Unless you've got a unit of somethings regularly attacking at S7 or negating armour saves then you're going to be stuck with it for at least 2 turns, probably more.
Furiouscado
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Furiouscado »

I know this thread is about destroying steam tanks, but I feel it partially means "dealing with."

The forte of a steam tank is charging from far away, so that gives you a lot of room to flee and leave it stranded. Also, if you can get close, you can bait it with expendable units. If either of the above are done correctly, you can set it up to charge it with a big unit of trolls and/or stacked unit of orcs. If you're playing a green empire player or just an antsy one, they may just the gun and declare the charge as soon as they think they're within 15" or so. They want to get the maximum impact hits possible, which could lead to a stranded/mobbed tank. (I remember a rule change in the steam tank rules, so correct me if I'm wrong about anything above).
Gladerider
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gladerider »

I flank charged a steam tank a couple of weeks ago with a Giant and crushed it in one turn, since then my buddy keeps his steam tank away from me anymore. I don't know how you feel about Giants, but it my be worth a try.
I am Druchii Master, hear me roar!

"If the day after tomorrow was yesterday three days ago, what would tomorrow be?"
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

How do you destroy a steam tank with DE?
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

kheirakh wrote:How do you destroy a steam tank with DE?
Pit of Shades, RBT single shots, Gauntlet of Power on a flying Highborn...
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

Pit of shades does NOTHING to a steam tank because it has no strength value. There are several threads about it. But the bolt thrower would be your best bet. Maybe even executioners or anything with 4+ str
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

Gauntlet is your best friend!! You don`t even need to mount him on a dragon to take the stank down. A dark steed is good enough! I pulled a stank down with this combo but it took him 4 phases to kill it and 2 wounds on the highborn!
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

Executioners are a no-go.

you're best bet are things like GoP or Executioners Axe.

Bolt throwers work well as it ignores armour saves and does d3 wounds. However the chance of hitting and wounding are a bit smaller than with the aforementioned item
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

isn't the gauntlet a special item that was "awarded" to the dark elves? Is it in their rulebook now? Or could it hypothetically not be allowed in a tourni? (I know it's off topic, but I'm trying to related it to being able to be used against a steam tank for a DE army)
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

GoP is often no allowed, so that's out. I fought two with DE and got lucky and crippled one and avoided the other while I crushed the rest of his army.

It's facing one in 500 or 750 points that I hate. Even Woodies can't do a Treeman in 500 points.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.
Columind
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Portugal - the country everybody thinks belongs to Spain...arg

Post by Columind »

Kroxigors on a flank or even a ST7 character...the Stank has no attacks, so it will be autohit and ST7. All you have to do is charge him though...
Lexy
Assassin

Post by Lexy »

Orcs and goblins ( or anything with a giant ) A giant (ini test is failed: 2d6 wounds)
anything high strength/no armour saves allowed weapons.
A well placed stone thrower, bolt throwers,
Ogres have enough weapons for it.

I think most of the armies can do something about the Stank

I know one O&G player who already toppled 4 steamtanks in tournaments with his giant (since the new empirebook is out).
Never know what to do next, you might surprise yourself
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Pit of Shades, i droped one down a couple of wounds, before my Highborn with GoP charged in and crumpled it into a ball of metal waste. Best way i would think would be Pit of Shades.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

You just need to knock around four wounds off it, and it will do a whole lot less. I've done so with Spear Chukkas plenty of times, often in a single turn.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Bad beast

Post by Bad beast »

any army that has access to bolt throwers should really not fear the STank at all, the fact that it's a large target means even gobbo bolt throwers are hitting on 4's at long range (not bad when you consider that that bolt thrower only cost you 35 pts)

you really only have to deal about 3 or 4 wounds to the tank before it's effectivly a 300 point cannon (or a chariot that only charges 6") so after 1 or 2 turns the thing should be a non-issue
Fr0 wrote: The evil Dr. Henry McCoy as usual, has a firm grasp on the rule.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

lucky gobbo scum... :D
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

Khelmor wrote:Pit of Shades, i droped one down a couple of wounds, before my Highborn with GoP charged in and crumpled it into a ball of metal waste. Best way i would think would be Pit of Shades.

Khelmor I don't know if you knew, but pit of shades does not hurt the Stank. Also, GoP isn't technically a legal item, so going into a tourni there's a very good chance you couldn't rely on either (especially PoS because it doesn't effect a Stank at all!) I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... steam+tank just in case anyone wanted to see the posting about that topic.
Bad beast

Post by Bad beast »

well the pit of shades thing is kinda a grey area, half the people say it works the other half say it does not work (personaly i'm in the does not work crowd)

but seeing as how the OP was asking how to deal with it using his O&G army, telling him to use the GoP or the Pit of Shades, really doesn't help him as he doesn't have access to either
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

Bad Beast - I agree, I was trying to get it back on topic, but had already put my two cents in about how to deal with it.

Something, though not too reliable, but in tandum with having bolt throwers could be Ork Magic. I think there is some consensus that you do not necessarily have to blow the tank up, but simply make it not as dangerous. Foot of Gork has a decently high str and would be making the Stank be taking 4+ saves. Also, in little whaaa Brain Bursta would be 2D6 str 4's. Both spells would most likely cause at least 1 wound, which could be a deciding factor, so if the Stank is the most dangerous unit on the field, you could prioritize some magic towards it.
Bad beast

Post by Bad beast »

well "Mork Wants Ya" is easily the most effective spell against the tank, due the the rules of the tank it always fails the IN test, and as such will always take the D6 S10 hits, that leaves it with no save and wounding on 2's, but as with the problem of reling on all spells you have to acctually roll the spell off your list to have it, then successfully cast it, and then have him not dispell it for it to work

i will still say that Spear Chuka's are the best way to deal with them (35 points and hit on 4+ at long range is awesome) with either the doom diver or rocklobba's being second, doomdiver still only wounds on 4+ (it's S6 right?) and has the chance to scatter off, but does have the correction factor, while the rock lobba's scatter, and need a 4+ to hit due to always being a partial
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

furiouscado wrote:Pit of shades does NOTHING to a steam tank because it has no strength value. There are several threads about it.

There have been several threads, but no definative conclusion. The thread you linked was my thread and to this day there has been no consensus. You can interpret it either way (Pit of Shades has no Strength, but Pit of Shades also states that it works despite target's special rules), and as long as you speak with your opponent beforehand and they agree, then it is usable.

I started a similar thread on the Warseer forums, and after over 100 posts it basically was agreed that it could go either way and that you should check with opponent beforehand...

This issue will not be resolved until there is a FAQ.
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Humm... I never played against a Steam Tank however, let's use logic here for the Pit of Shades VS Steam Tank instead of going on the rules how they are.

The usual gameplay goes as the follow:

Rules that you adds the special rules of the models and you have the result afterwards. let's represent it as this:

Rules + Special Rules = the game.

In the Pit of Shades, it says: "[...] models failing this test are swallowed up by the ground and removed as casualities, regarless of any magical protection or special rules they may have. [...]" Let's represent this as the following:

Rules - Special Rules

So if you take change the Rules because you cast Pit of Shades it goes like this:

(Rules - Special Rules) + Special Rules = the spell has been cast.

Let's remove the bracket to solve the solution it goes as the following:

Rules - Special Rules + Special Rules = the spell has been cast.

Since there's 2 values as the same, let's solve it.

Rules = the spell has been cast.

That's how I see the rules between Pit of Shades VS Steam tanks. Sometime you have to stop just reading all the words. The normal way is to check the rules and modify them with the special rules, however if the rules says that you don't go in the special rules, then it won't be altered.

That's my 2 cents.