Malekith's role in starting War of the Beard

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Malekith's role in starting War of the Beard

Post by Drek »

I was reading through the fluff in the new book today and I read that Malekith orchestrated the War of the Beard, the long and bitter war between the Dwarves and the High Elven *******. I don't recall reading that anywhere else before, was that a new bit of fluff or did I just miss it?
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

Well it was always hinted at...... this book just comes out and says:

We poisined the Pheonix King.

We started the War of the Beard.

We're the evil bada elves. We're not the correct abused misunderstod ones at all.
Les yuex sans le vie
Les magots ont infesté cadaver
Montagne du crane
Quelque du chose mon favorite.....
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

Malekith started it by charge a dwarf carravan the dwarfs thought that the dark elves were high elves just as malekiths plan was.
now when the high elves fighted in the old world against the dwarfs he decided to charge on ulthuan so that the phoenix king had to retreit with his army from the old world leaving all their colonies to the dwarfs only a few refused to go back to Ulthuan as they understood that it have something with their lives to do, they are now known as wood elves.
Thats how the high elves losted all their colonies in the old world exept of athel loren which belongs to wood elves and trees and those are independent of the phoenix throne now.

It pretty much says why he started it
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

The first reference to this that I know of was in the 4th ed High Elf book published in 1993.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Malekith was (and is) what TVTropes would classify as a Manipulative Bastard or perhaps a Chessmaster (check this page and this page).

Basically, Malekith had his Dark Elves attack the Dwarf caravans. Not only did he set the two most powerful empires in the WH world at each other's throats, he did it without their ever suspecting him (though the High Elves may have - but if they did, they never mentioned it to the Dwarfs). And when he finally did invade Ulthuan (which would have confirmed any suspicions the Asur may or may not have had), he'd successfully weakened both empires to the point where the Dwarfs were finished off by the Slann's continental shift, and Malekith could openly challenge the Asur.

Yes, this particular bit of background has been around for a long time. It isn't new by any stretch of the imagination.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Damnedscorpio
Shade

Post by Damnedscorpio »

If I remember correctly it wasn't the witch kings idea but one of his lesser lords idea that he used perfectly. He just wanted to attack the Dwarven Capitals.

Please use proper Grammar. This is the second post today that I have had to comment on (and edit to make it readable), and if this happens again there will be consequences. Being not perfect at spelling is not a crime, but there are too many spellcheckers out there to let that excuse go through. Grammar is the same - please at least try to use proper grammar. The way you post suggests that it is laziness and not the lack of knowledge of the English language that affects your posting habit. If indeed you do have trouble with the English language, please let the mods know and we will try to work something out, but as it is now I cannot accept your way of posting at all.
- Anderson
new dark elves have been great to me prepare for the cold one charge