Hydra blackest thing in creation after 8th edition

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Army book overides everything else unless specified.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Theres going to be an errata/faq and Im sure that if there is any ambiguity it will be cleared up then.

Still dont really see what the big deal is to be honest
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

I think it is that wounds transfer ... not hits. It's worse than it used to be, but it does mean that the hits have to wound the Hydra first. Also, I believe the army book overrides and hopefully the rumored 8th Ed update for DE will clarify
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

The new rule will also have to be clarified for the Cauldron - if all hits now go against the war machine (similar to the monster thing) and the Cauldron can't be wounded ... makes it hard to transfer wounds to the Hags, eh?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

jeffleong13 wrote:I think it is that wounds transfer ... not hits. It's worse than it used to be, but it does mean that the hits have to wound the Hydra first. Also, I believe the army book overrides and hopefully the rumored 8th Ed update for DE will clarify

The way it is written is fully in line with the current army book, so no errata is required. We will be losing beatmasters now, something that hasn't happened to my hydra since the new army book came out.

CoBs are totally separate being war machines. The crew will stand in front and die in CC as usual with some chance of dying from random shooting.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

CoBs are totally separate being war machines. The crew will stand in front and die in CC as usual with some chance of dying from random shooting.

Warmachines now have a combined profile and a number of wounds equal to the crew.

Ranged attacks use the T of the machine as the crew hide behind it.

H2H attacks use the T and fighting characteristics of the crew.

There will need to be some sort of errata to determine what happens to indestructable war machines like the anvil or the cauldron. Otherwise they will be immune to 99% of ranged attacks. This might be regarded as 'fine' but personally I think its a little unfair.

I have lost beastmasters to cleverly placed dryads before and I remember that I was as likely to benefit as to suffer (other than VP's). I dont know if the reaction table has changed so I will reserve judgement on this
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Venkh wrote:

Warmachines now have a combined profile and a number of wounds equal to the crew.

Ranged attacks use the T of the machine as the crew hide behind it.

H2H attacks use the T and fighting characteristics of the crew.

There will need to be some sort of errata to determine what happens to indestructable war machines like the anvil or the cauldron. Otherwise they will be immune to 99% of ranged attacks. This might be regarded as 'fine' but personally I think its a little unfair.

I have lost beastmasters to cleverly placed dryads before and I remember that I was as likely to benefit as to suffer (other than VP's). I dont know if the reaction table has changed so I will reserve judgement on this

I missed that. I only ever got cower as my my monster reaction so I'm possible biased as too the outcome.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The BRB rules affect generic monsters and handlers. Hydra has its own specific rules that say that you can't hit handlers unless you can specifically target them and are unable to target the hydra.

I have a feeling Handlers will be completely unkillable.

Bear in mind, with BRB rules you still roll on the monster WS, T and any saves and then on 5+ reroll a handler. So say, skink handlers of the salamanders suddenly are T4 and have 5+ scaly skin.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Dalamar wrote:The BRB rules affect generic monsters and handlers. Hydra has its own specific rules that say that you can't hit handlers unless you can specifically target them and are unable to target the hydra.

I have a feeling Handlers will be completely unkillable.

Bear in mind, with BRB rules you still roll on the monster WS, T and any saves and then on 5+ reroll a handler. So say, skink handlers of the salamanders suddenly are T4 and have 5+ scaly skin.

Well the rule book makes handlers un-targetable, but then says that any any unsaved wound on the monster on a 5-6 is directed at the handlers. Seems pretty clear to me.
Darkelfogrekiller
Trainee Warrior

Post by Darkelfogrekiller »

I have just been speaking to my store manager and he has dropped a few hints about 8th edition number 1 being hydras get an additional 2d6 attacks for being monsters and flame weapons can be used in combat (but only once a game) and will cause 2d6 attacks so that is a total of 31 attacks. (potently) Very Happy

the 2d6 is an ability called thunder stomp, but it is actually only 1d6 though
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Dalamar wrote:
Salamanders are not monsters and don't use the monster and handler rules. The only monsters and handlers in the game are hydras and hellcannons. I strongly suspect the hydra will be faq'd to follow the monster and handler rules in the new 8th ed rulebook.
Xzazzarai
Corsair

Post by Xzazzarai »

Bitterman wrote:
Sure the book rules don't override that? The DE book says anything that can attack the hydra must attack the hydra.

That's right.

And all wounds on the Hydra will be transferred to a handler on a roll of 5+.

I do hope Dalamar is right - but I don't think he is.
ETC Team Sweden
2011 - Dark Elves
2012 - Undecided
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If I'm not, the hydra just got 2 more wounds because the wounds are transferred to handlers after all possible saves have been failed (or I misread it)
7th edition army book:

Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

That is all nice, however how does this reflect on template weapons??

Surly if a handler is below it has to get hit?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Duke Daedric wrote:That is all nice, however how does this reflect on template weapons??

Surly if a handler is below it has to get hit?

Handlers don't exist anymore as models, they are just counters for handler effects, so no.
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

Well I'll try to explain it to my opponents... wish me luck.. ;)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Awww.... now I have to go and build my other hydra. :P Like I didn't have enough minis to build already LOL!
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

Our book still has our specific handler rules so the BRB will not affect how our handlers live or die. DE handlers are special remember
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

The army book will be errata'd to conform with the BRB.

One of the first items on the list I reckon.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Or it will be errata'd to confirm that our handlers can't be killed separately. We'll see.
7th edition army book:

Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Exactly. For now, we play it how it's written in our book. We'll continue to do so in 8th until an errata changes that (or doesn't).

It's no biggy either way. Personally, I expect them to go towards the 8th edition way because it depowers hydra by forcing them to make reaction tests earlier(and they are currently underpriced) but there's no way you can pick which way GW will go till they do it. Their track record is too inconsistent.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Handlers don't exist anymore as models, they are just counters for handler effects, so no.

So your saying that we should be modeling the handlers onto the same base as the Hydra now? Or any monster that has handlers for that matter.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

devils reject wrote:

So your saying that we should be modeling the handlers onto the same base as the Hydra now? Or any monster that has handlers for that matter.

Once the DE FAQ is out and everything is cleared up. I plan to move them to round bases to indicate they cannot be engaged. You could also move them onto the base and just keep track of them dying with a die or whatever.
Kaseliegth
Executioner

Post by Kaseliegth »

I had a look at the rule book in my local store the other day.
There is a small section about our Hydra with stats and rules etc.
We get to flame into combat causeing 2D6 hits at the strengh of the remaining wounds.
We use our attacks 7
Then we have astomp attack doing D6 hits.

Also i noticed that there was a little rule saying that they can be used at monstous mounts now.
Maybe just maybe that in the errata there bringing out with the rule book they will state that we can now ride hydras into battle.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Maybe just maybe that in the errata there bringing out with the rule book they will state that we can now ride hydras into battle.

Just after the bit saying that chariots are now in fact drawn by manticores (two of them for good measure - One at either end)?

I don't think so. And with all those heads it would be phenomenally hard to tell it where to go.

Although I have to say it might be cool to have someone sitting on that thing.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.