Cauldron of Blood conversion (7 pics)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Greenwhy
Executioner

Cauldron of Blood conversion (7 pics)

Post by Greenwhy »

I don't much like the GW cauldron and I especially want a model which looks like it can move. I've taken inspiration from some of the very impressive and original ideas that I have seen recently while looking at what other people have come up with. There are still a few little bits which need tidying up. I hope you like.

Last edited by Greenwhy on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

Wow, that thing is awsome!

Could you go through what you used to make those awsome models?

Cheers!
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

Sure. FYI the white stuff is this nasty modelling goo called 'Impasto Medium'. It seems useful but only for what you can see, ie. looking gooey. I bought a Witch Elves command kit for this so I have 2 left over, handy if I don't want the hag to be a BSB.

Chassis: Basically a chariot chassis which has been stripped down. Some skulls and zombie heads spread around on it and some goo between the gaps of severed heads. The center beam has some holes drilled in it to allow the placement of crossbars for the slaves. The bits at the end of these crossbars are tips from warrior spears.

Cauldron: I used two bits of sprue to hold it up, it's the main thing I'm unhappy about because I haven't had any good ideas of how to add some detail. for the actual cauldron I used a circular 40k base as a shape for the top; I drilled holes through the sides and placed a piece of tubing through it. I then added goo into the underside (which would be the top) to look like blood and cover the tubing, I also built it up at the bottom until I had a rough hemisphere. Added various spikes (namely chaos warrior horns and empire flagellant mace balls) as well as a thin sausage of green stuff around the top.

Statue: C'tan Deceiver with a corsair weapon, 'nuff said.

Slaves: I acquired some parts from the internet; they are all standard parts from boxed sets. It was a fiddly process to cut and glue them all in to place; I had to remove all weapons, drill through each hand, rotate each hand so that they could be grasping the crossbars and then carefully glue it all in place. Some areas still need some tidying up.

Death Hag: she is a Witch Elf champion with the severed head removed and a hole drilled through her hand in preparation for the standard. The standard is a Seekers standard banner with a new pole and new top; the top is made from a tiny bit of tubing with a glade rider ribbon and a Dark Eldar pointy bit of some kind.

Witch Elves: The chalice replaces the musicians horn and the whip replaces the standard.

Glad you like it. Unfortunately I'm not planning to paint it until I have done a unit or two, This way I have a better idea of my colour scheme and how this model will fit.
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

hello,
well it looks like it can move indeed!
I like it, very much.
I'd probably green stuff the head a bit, in order to make it look like the statue is wearing an helmet rather than look like a chaos demon, but that's a personal point, really.
Kudos!
I hold a banner drenched in blood, I urge you to be brave
I lead you to your destiny, I lead you to your grave
Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown
For I am Khaine, the god of war, and I will cut you down.
Rkhatzar
Assassin

Post by Rkhatzar »

GREAT!
”Fear in hearts, Fear in eyes, Fear is all before they die."
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

I really like the conversion, where did you get the cauldren?
Did you make it?
The Hag BSB is very nice also.

The only thing I could add to make this better is change some of the big rocks you have on the base. If you get some ballast used for model trains,
you can choose between what size grain and they are finer. Leave some of the rocks you have just not all over the base. Patches of them would be good.
I use pebbles from my driveway, sand and a mix of differant ballast and it comes out well.

Oh and I like the witch with the whip, she is my favorite WE so nice choice.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

First off, i will say: Im not much for wagon style cauldrons. But, yes there is a but. OH MY GOD its awesome! I love the statue, i love the banner on the hag, i love the idea with multiple race slaves. Nice details with the servered heads at the feet of the statue soaked in blood ( i guess / glue ).
Just a very good job dude. Cant srsly wait to see it painted. :D:D
-JK.
Stormxiii
Warrior

Post by Stormxiii »

beeing a slave suck, the rest is amazing :twisted:
Doctors say my head is so full of things that there's no place left for the brain
Brennan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Brennan »

Amazing. If I could purchase one of these I would. Brilliant.
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

EolElfslayer wrote:I'd probably green stuff the head a bit, in order to make it look like the statue is wearing an helmet rather than look like a chaos demon
I hear what you're saying. However, I'm hoping that the paintjob will make it look a little less animated. I think that when you look at the model your eyes are first drawn to the evil expression on the face and I wouldn't want to take that away.

Kurl-Soulrender wrote:servered heads at the feet of the statue soaked in blood ( i guess / glue ).
Yep, Blood is what I had in mind for the gap filling paste.

Nellamik wrote:The only thing I could add to make this better is change some of the big rocks you have on the base.
I was planning on adding in some finer sand but I hadn't thought of doing patches. I might just do that.

Nellamik wrote:where did you get the cauldren?
Made it, I went over it a little in my second post (above). I was keeping my eyes open for a good sized ball I could chop up but never found anything, a ping pong ball was too big. I took some pics so you can have a closer look. You can see that the rim of the cauldron is black, well that is the upside down small round 40k base, I threaded a piece of tubing through opposite sides of the base. I used the gooey modeling paste to make the hemisphere underneath and also fill in the top. The rest is just simple green stuff and plastic spikes glued on.

Thanks so much for your comments and criticisms. It seems my return to fantasy after a 6 year hiatus is a glorious one :P.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really nice conversion mate!
Death before dishonor
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I find a 1-teaspoon measuring spoon fits the new HE chariot chassis pretty well...
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

wow i love the banner! what model did u take it from? and the 'slaves' are amazing!
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

Thanks, the banner is from the Seekers boxed set
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

I dont like your idea beacuse of two reasons:
First: I dont like cauldron on 50x100 base + 3 20x20 girls because it takes a lot of room on the table. (plus really easy to hit it with canon ball or catapult shot)
Second: I dont like the idea of two wheeled cart draged by slaves since the slaves could go crazy, drop the cauldron and waste all the blood.

BUT

It looks really nice (perhaps i would use sand instead cause this looks like boulders) but still its nice, spectacular, 10000% better than the GW one and i just love the BSB. Really nice one!
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Looks nice.

And Diablo is right. Get a proper levitating cauldron - wheeled ones are sooo last millenium ;)
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

The Virgin Forest wrote:Looks nice.

And Diablo is right. Get a proper levitating cauldron - wheeled ones are sooo last millenium ;)

Yeah, thats the spirit. :D I meant when building such a big thing, why not use slightly bigger base and make it 4-wheeler like the old CoB model?

btw, detailing the Cauldron. Green stuff, for strips i recomend measuring tape (the fabric-rubery one). Im using it for making reins for my DR. Easy to use and i think looks fine: http://diablo-foto.own.cz/DR/DSC00079.JPG
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

Diablo wrote:because it takes a lot of room on the table. (plus really easy to hit it with canon ball or catapult shot)

Diablo wrote:when building such a big thing, why not use slightly bigger base

I'm not quite sure I understand because those two comments seem to contradict each other. the three handlers cannot be made targets, only the cauldron, but yes it is unfortunate that the base is bigger than the normal one.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had considered a magically powered cauldron but I liked the slaves Idea because it fits in with witch elves really well. And yes there is going to be sand going on the base, I agree with the feedback so far saying that stuff I have is way to big.

EDIT: I like your dark rider.
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

Oh ok. It depends on, what rules for hitting CoB you use (we use the base).
I really like the idea of moving cauldron + draged by slaves. Just the way u made it, all the weight of the cauldron would be on the slaves. So if the slaves got killed (or try to run away) the front falls = blood from cauldron spilled.

Btw the base could be the same to make it 4-wheeler. Just use some plastycard for making base of the cart, making it lets say 10mm longer. The first slaves moved to the very top of the base (I guess theres about 10mm) and you have place for second pair of wheeles.

I send pics to friend, he said he like it but the slaves should be chained to the handles, the little lizardmen looks weird pulling heavy cart, beastmen of some king could look better and the chain on the BSB looks weird (I guess the chain is a bit massive but im not sure).

Anyway, dont take it that i disslike it. I really like it, just have ideas how to improve it or just ideas i had for building my own CoB.

P.s: thx about the DR. Theres more where it came from 8)
P.p.s: Sorry for my english. Not my native language :roll:
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

i like this!

I wanted to just swap the skulls for tiny babies on my cauldron and call it a day.

and Diablo? English is many people's native language, and you have outperformed them nicely :)
Oderint dum Metuant.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Seriously, that is one hell of a conversion!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

You can convert a cauldron for me any time :D

Top notch work !!!
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Simply AWESOME!!! :shock:
Can u make another one? I'll buy it! What price?
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Simply AWESOME!!! :shock:
Can u make another one? What price? I would love to paint such a master piece...
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

I already had some of the parts lying around. If you don't it would be pretty expensive. Chariot +Deceiver +WE cmd box as well as a considerable amount on the other parts which you find at various websites.

Any spare time I get should go toward painting my army. Thanks for your comments :)