ASF vs ASF: Higher Ini = Rerolls?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cihan
Corsair

ASF vs ASF: Higher Ini = Rerolls?

Post by Cihan »

When two units with ASF fight eachother they strike at the same time. I thought I read somewhere that regardless of both being ASF that the unit with the higher initiative still can reroll their misses. But in the German rulebook it says very clearly that you cannot.

Question: Unit A (ASF) vs Unit B (ASF with higher I)
Can Unit B reroll to hits? And if, why (provide source)?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: ASF vs ASF: Higher Ini = Rerolls?

Post by Dalamar »

No, asf cancels another asf out. They strike at the same time and nobody rerolls.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cihan
Corsair

Post by Cihan »

Thanks for the quick reply. Too bad though :)!
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

However as a Dark Elf, if you're fighting a High Elf you will still get to re-roll, as we have Hatred.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

However as a Dark Elf, if you're fighting a High Elf you will still get to re-roll, as we have Hatred.
Only in the first round of combat.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

Post by Mordrin Spiteblade »

So, forgive me if this might be a bone question but the way I understand it Executioner's ASF is lost by cancelling out the ASL of their draichs. Does this mean that as soon as they fight any High Elves the HEs get to use their own ASF and get their re-rolls to hit? I haven't played HEs yet but I can anticipate it being a game-delaying discussion.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Red... wrote:
Only in the first round of combat.

...except for Black Guard, who have Eternal Hatred.

The exception to the exception, as it were. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Post by Curse_Bearer »

Mordrin Spiteblade wrote:So, forgive me if this might be a bone question but the way I understand it Executioner's ASF is lost by cancelling out the ASL of their draichs. Does this mean that as soon as they fight any High Elves the HEs get to use their own ASF and get their re-rolls to hit? I haven't played HEs yet but I can anticipate it being a game-delaying discussion.

As long as their Initiative is equal to or higher, yes. It is my understanding that ASF + ASL means the two rules are inactive during play. This means that higher Ini ASF gets re-rolls, but also that Execs can not be given ASL again (a la frost pheonix) because they already have that rule, which cannot be given twice.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

that is incorrect asf and asl dont cancel each other out. you still have both rules, but you strike in init order as the rules say. so when fighting an asf opponent you both strike in init order.
Also known as Kanadian
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Killerk wrote:that is incorrect asf and asl dont cancel each other out. you still have both rules, but you strike in init order as the rules say. so when fighting an asf opponent you both strike in init order.

This is incorrect.

ASF states (amongst other things) that "[i]f a model with this rule is fighting an enemy with the same ability, the Attacks are made simultaneously, and neither model benefits from the re-rolls normally granted by this rule." Initiative no longer makes any difference between models who Always Strike First. Think of the order of attacks this way: ASF attacks first, then models attack in Initiative order (descending from 10 to 1), and then ASL attacks occur.

ASL states that if a model has both ASL and ASF, "the two cancel out and neither applies so use the model's Initiative." The model still has both of those rules, but neither has any in-game effect. Effectively, both rules have blank text for that model.

If a model with ASF + ASL fights a model with only ASF, and the model with only ASF has equal or higher Initiative, the ASF-only model will get re-rolls to hit. The ASF + ASL model does not have the abilities granted by ASF, and thus cannot prevent the ASF-only model from either attacking first or from getting re-rolls from ASF.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

not exacly. when a asf + asl fights a enemy with asf you both strike at the same time. as per the rules you quoted. there is no exeption in the rules, both models have asf so they strike simutaniously. bus since one of them has asl he has to strike with his initiative. thus both strike simutanioisly accordi g to initiative of the model with asl rule.
It is stupid but thats the way GW made it.
Also known as Kanadian
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Killerk wrote:not exacly. when a asf + asl fights a enemy with asf you both strike at the same time. as per the rules you quoted. there is no exeption in the rules, both models have asf so they strike simutaniously. bus since one of them has asl he has to strike with his initiative. thus both strike simutanioisly accordi g to initiative of the model with asl rule.
It is stupid but thats the way GW made it.

I'm not sure the rules could be any clearer.

ASL as worded states that if a model has both ASL and ASF, "the two cancel out and neither applies so use the model's Initiative." The ASL+ASF model doesn't have the ability to Always Strike First precisely because of these words in the ASL rule. There is no basis to assume that ASF still has any effect for a model with both ASF and ASL. The ASF-only model fighting the ASF+ASL model is fighting an enemy with the same special rule, but not the same ability (which is the wording used in the ASF rule's text). This distinction is critical and allows the full wording of both special rules to be reconciled in a way which makes sense.

On your interpretation, ASL becomes infectious for enemy models, even when the rule itself makes it very clear that neither ASL nor ASF applies when a model has both of those special rules. As you've noted, the absurdity in this interpretation is obvious.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I dont have the BRB in front of me, so please check, but I remember it saying that the effects of the rules cancel each other out, it does not mention the rules them selves.
Also known as Kanadian
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

BRB wrote:If a model has both this rule and ASF, the two cancel out and neither applies so use the model's I.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}