Coming up with new builds for our armies

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Coming up with new builds for our armies

Post by Saintofm »

Given that a new eddition means a new meta, have we figured out any yet.

RIght now I can easily see a Dreadlord or High Beastmaster wielding Life Taker and donning Armor (65 points total, leaving 35 points left for a lord and 10 for a High Beastmaster) as for each wound you inflict while weaing the armor improves its armor value, from 5+ to 2+.

Going to try a build with main mini Dreadlord of Sheild Of Ghround, Sword of Battle, Mounted on a Cold one or Black Dragon, Full Plate armor. The Sheild reduces the strength of the attacks coming at the lord, which makes most shooting attacks fairly limp as S2.

Battle Standard Bearer on coldone with Banner of Iron Resolve, in a unit of Cold One Knights with Standard of Slaughter. The Iron Resolve Banner gives you Stubborn, while the latter gives the unit +D3 Combat Resolution on the turn they charge. I still miss my Hydra banner, but making a unit stubborn in case they loose and an extra D3 to combat result when they charge (the part of combat that heavy cavalry get all their perks during) it works wonders.

Any other thoughts while I think of combos for sorceressess?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Coming up with new builds for our armies

Post by Daeron »

I think the character choices will be a challenge. It seems like a lot of comps or smaller armies are limited to a single Lord.
The Supreme Sorceress offers a whole world of magic power over a level 2 caster, but she doesn't even have Ld9.

So it looks like we may have either of:
  • A supreme sorceress with an array of masters and beastmasters to spread some leadership
  • A dreadlord and only a level 2 caster
But a level 2 Sorceress will be tricky. Only one arcane magic item and no access to the black staff. Hm! Our signature spells are on the high side for a Level 2 caster. In my first game, my level 2 failed every single cast. The only time a spell got through was because of a miscast. :D

So I'm guessing the following combinations:
  • Talisman of protection, Tome of Furion - but this feels expensive. Maybe on a Pegasus?
  • Lore Familiar + Focus Familar
  • Tome of Furion or Lore Familiar + Power Scroll
Considering the range and targeting limitations, I wouldn't be surprised to see the sorceress mounted on a dark steed in a Dark Rider unit in skirmish formation. With a Tome of Furion and Battle Magic, that should give enough spells to annoy the enemy. Even the signature spell might assist in clearing chaff. Or maybe Daemonology, but then I'd get a Power Scroll combo.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Draereth
Slave on the Altar

Re: Coming up with new builds for our armies

Post by Draereth »

I've played a game at 1k and a game at 2k and I found for the 1k list, Tome of Furion and the Ruby ring on a lvl2 to work nicely.
I carried that over onto my lvl 4 for 2k points and she was throwing down some pain, hexes, and buffs every turn.

I give my Dreadlord the talisman of protection and an ogre blade and put him on a cold one (Malus Darkblade model) so he has a 2+/5++ and 4 str 6 ap2 d3 wound attacks that always strike first. Pretty nice if you ask me.

I've also found the love of Khaine with a Hag, Rune of Khaine, and the Sword of ruin.
5-7 attacks that reroll to hit, always strike first and don't allow saves is brutal in a unit a of witch elves. Wipe out an enemies front rank and then slam them with poison witches. I plan to set them down opposite the opponents knights and bait them into charging the witches, have my Hag leap out and kill most of the small unit of knights 3s then 3/4 to kill most things with no save.

2x10 crossbows, lvl 4 blasty sorceress with ruby ring and maybe daemonology signiature will be deadly agaisnt most infantry.

Cold one's with banner of Har Ganeth for a spicy ap3 on the charge will be lovely.
Get off some battle lust from a sorc and you're looking at 11 s6 ap3 attacks rerolling to hit and then 20 s4 attacks from the mounts too

Just my thoughts from my two games (sadly on a losing streak lol)