Staring Dark Elves

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Skyre115
Warrior

Staring Dark Elves

Post by Skyre115 »

Well recently I've started a new dark elf army, I absolutely love Executioners and Black Guard. Right now I have the following:

20 Spearmen w/ full command

12 RXB's w/ full command

13 Executioners w/ full command

1 Cold One Chariot

1 Sorceress

1 Reaper Bolt thrower

I have been thinking about getting Black Guard but I don't know if they are worth spending the points. Should I go for more spearmen and crossbowmen or should I try something else. i know I should get some more characters, but and criticism would be appreciated.
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

That's a pretty nice starting batch. I would recommend Dark Riders (2 units of 5 if you can afford them) and perhaps later some Shades or Harpies. The Black Guard are beautiful models, but you're probably better off building up your core choices first.
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

This topic is of interest to me as well! I'm building with what I own: I have 19 RXB with a leader figure (from the old Warhammer Regiments boxed sets - you got orcs, goblins, DE, etc. in each box).

I have 19 of the ORIGINAL non-slotta Mengil's Manhides (but no Mengil). They look like they are just warriors with shield and sword, but were supposed to have RHXB hidden under their cloaks...

6 Cold Ones (that I am currently assembling -Sheesh. Drill and pin, drill and pin, drill and pin) One of them has a standard. I also have the Dark Elf on Cold One General figure.

I have 1 DE Sorceress from the plastic wizards set.

I just finished 1 DE Sorceress on Black Unicorn. What a HORRIBLE figure to put together, but really pretty nifty once you pin the daylights out of it!

Anyways, I'm thinking of picking up some core spear, corsairs, and probably some dark riders. Anyother thoughts?

THANKS!!!
Blaz - Back at WHF after a 14 year hiatus...
Thefanaticking
Cold One Knight

Post by Thefanaticking »

Need core, everything else is nice and fun, but you both NEED core. It's not an opinion it's a rule.
"As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want." - Donald Rumsfeld
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Well, thefanaticking, SKyRE115 has enough core for any army up to 1999 points, and if Blaznak uses his old Manhides as plain warriors (maybe convert them to have spears), he has enough core as well. Or he could divide his Rxbwarriors into two regiments of ten.

Nonetheless, both of you might want to buy at least one regiment of Dark Riders. Fast cavalry is very useful in 7th edition, and DR are one of the best fast cav in the game because of their high speed, the option to use rxbs, and the fact that they are core and thus don´t take up a special (or rare) slot.

SKyRE115: aside from the above, I´d ignore Black Guard for the time being, as while they can be effective, they will be difficult to use. Also I don´t think you need more warriors at the moment. Getting another chariot and another RBT would make sense, as both units are best used in pairs. As you also mentioned yourself, you might want a noble to lead your army, and if you want to play magic-heavy, another sorceress will be neccessary. In the end, it is really a matter of what playstyle you prefer. You have a good batch of units already, if you just flesh them out with a few DR and a noble, you should just have a few games and see what you like before deciding what to get next.

Blaznak: While I´m not a fan of those ages-old sculpts, I can see why you wouldn´t want to let them gather dust on the shelf. So basically, your force consists of 20 warriors with rxbs, 20 warriors with hand weapons and shields (I´d give those guys spears so you can use them as normal warriors), 6 CoK and two sorceresses (the unicorn will best be used as a dark steed, or model some wings onto it and you have a nice dark pegasus). Adding a unit of DR would be wise, and then it´s really up to you. Shades, some elite infantry, maybe a hydra - there´s nothing else that really is essential, except maybe for a noble, but I´d say you could just as well only use two sorcs for the smaller games (below 2k).

Both of you should have a look around the armylist and tactics forums. That should give you lots of inspiration, and should also teach you how to use the druchii army in its current state. I learned quite a lot in the first few months after joining, far more than I could have learned by just playing.

Then just post a complete armylist, and ask for some constructive criticism.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Hey, thanks for the thoughts! Yes, I'm pretty much committed to getting 1-2 units of Dark Riders - They just look so cool painted up!

I'd also like to really get into a nice unit of actual spears so I can mix and match, trying different tactics!

Its funny, after I posted, I opened another old box and... 16 witch elves, a cauldron of blood (where did THAT come from) and a DE RXB with crew showed up! Hee hee! Then I found the assassin pack and and....

I think I buy minis in my sleep and forget about them... Grin!

Thanks again for the ideas...
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

i would agree that black guard are not a very good early choice. I would hold off till you have played a few games and decided on a playing style.

If you really like the black guard models why dont you just get the command blister?
One of the champion models comes with a jagged great sword and makes a nice general or chariot noble. And you can use the standard bearer and musician in other units.

Dark riders are an excellent choice but i would also recommend getting another chariot and reaper. Both units are 2:1 and work well in pairs.
Skyre115
Warrior

Post by Skyre115 »

Thanks for the advice, I think I might go out and get the black guard command for some characters cause the look of the black guard kinda embodies all that the druchii are, NICE AND SPIKEY!!!! I have been looking at dark riders lately, i might try to convert wood elf glade riders to dark riders, I don't think it should require too much conversion work. I kinda shyed away from black guard from the start cause even though they look awesome, I dont see em doin too much for me right now. Another RBT and another CoC would pretty much do the trick. I love dark magic so i think i'll get the witch elf command and convert the champion and/or the standard bearer to a sorceress. I might also try to flesh out that executioners squad to somewhere along the lines of 20-25 executioners. Ya know give em a solid base and a fighting chance. Well thanks again for all the advice.
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

i think i'll get the witch elf command and convert the champion and/or the standard bearer to a sorceress.

The Hag from the Cauldron Of Blood makes an excellent Sorceress. She should be available as an individual piece from GW (you don't have to buy the whole Cauldron).
Skyre115
Warrior

Post by Skyre115 »

Well I think the witch elf standard bearer looks like a good sorceress, but ur right the hag looks good too. Hey does anyone think that the beastmaster on manticore would be any good? I just can't see a beastmaster being too usefull. I might get the manticore and stick something else on it, maybee a high sorceress if she can take it.