Vykiel the Monstrous in a GW Sanctioned Mega Battle

Talk about all aspects of the Nemesis Crown summer campaign here

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Vogon
Highborn

Vykiel the Monstrous in a GW Sanctioned Mega Battle

Post by Vogon »

Hi there

So I’m going to be taking part in the local “Mega Battle” it’s going to be “Good” V “Evil” with each participant taking 1000pts

I am going to be using 1000pts of my DE.

However I’m really tempted to take our special character Vykiel the Monstrous and taking a couple of War Hydras, here’s the link

[url]nemesis.us.games-workshop.com/hobby/gaming/usscenarios/drampersonae/default.htm[/url]

So what do you lot think? Is it doable? If I do I’m going to have 310 pts for other stuff (let’s face it Core) and I was thinking a couple of units of DR.

I’ve no idea how this is going to work and It’ll be my first mega battle and I don’t know what I’ll be allied with or up against

Cheers

Vogon[url][/url]
Last edited by Vogon on Tue May 22, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now choose either die in the vacuum of space or...........
Tell me how good you thought my poem was.

**Make Tea Not War**
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Personally, I think a war hydra heavy list is probably weaker than ao ogre heavy one but if you want to try it go for it. Bring your own stands of trees too in case the store desn't have enough terrain for your hydras to hide in...
Vogon
Highborn

Post by Vogon »

I would agree if it were a one on one battle but I’m hoping that as one part of a team that I’ll be better placed to support and be supported by other units on the bad guy’s side.

Vogon

**Make Tea Not War**
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

FYI -- the link is wrong. There is no "www" at the beginning of the url, and you will get a dead page if you include it. So the correct link is:

http://nemesis.us.games-workshop.com/ho ... efault.htm
Truly These are the End Times ...
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

From the Special Characters thread:
Sirist wrote:Just as an FYI, I did the math to see if I could make a truly broken list with that special character. It's not. Note that the only time you're able to use him is in US Mega Battles, which, according to the NC Booklet, are only 1000pts max. Therefore, a grand total of four slots you can fill with Hydras. Still impressive.

The problem is that in order to fit your required two Core choices, and provided that this lackluster special character is the only character you want to use, you can only fit two Hydras and him into your army and not break 1000pts, even if you take two units of naked Dark Riders.

You can spread this where you want to, but let it be known: this Hero is not worth it.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Vogon wrote:I would agree if it were a one on one battle but I’m hoping that as one part of a team that I’ll be better placed to support and be supported by other units on the bad guy’s side.

Vogon

Well I suppose you would have to spread them right across the field for best results and try to suport your allies.

It's just such a dreadful choice if you want to get into combat. About 4 wounds vs naked humans and it goes downhill from there. And with the way they work in cc, you'd be lucky to fit 2 against one enemy. Still, if you were facing a lot of orcs they might be quite good. As long as they don't have to take panic tests or get into combat probably quite a few would survive the battle.
Vogon
Highborn

Post by Vogon »

Hmm the more I think abou this the more I agree. I guess I'll be having a re-think on what to take.

(I might still do it though just for the laugh)

**Make Tea Not War**
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Yeah, there's always that. As long as you are going for fun and not all out competition I'm sure it will be fun. Just that they're such a funny creature to get your head around; Slow not good in combat, good shooting but by the time they get into range, most targets are usually in combat... Maybe if you took DoW giants as your rares and just used special slots for the hydra's, that way you would have some stickability in cc as well as getting to use your hydras?
Vogon
Highborn

Post by Vogon »

This is what I'm thinking

Special Character 250 (general)

5 Dark Riders RXB 120 (core)

5 Dark Riders RXB 120 (core)

Shades 70 (special)

Hydra 220 (special)

Hydra 220 (special/rare)

Total 1000

And yes this is for fun not competition :)

**Make Tea Not War**
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Change the shades to harpies... if someone does break from terror, the harpies can catch them and run them down...