Black Ark

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Vampire1812
Executioner

Black Ark

Post by Vampire1812 »

So i want to scratch build a black ark. Does anyone have any pictures of an actual black ark? I looked through the army book and I find mention of it but not a clear picture of an actual black ark.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

It would be as big as your table.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Schillingdj
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schillingdj »

You may need to refer to the man o war book if you can find it.
Sirist
Black Guard

Re: Black Ark

Post by Sirist »

Vampire1812 wrote:So i want to scratch build a black ark. Does anyone have any pictures of an actual black ark? I looked through the army book and I find mention of it but not a clear picture of an actual black ark.
Page 57, behind all the boats. As you can tell from the tiny, tiny boat in front of it... well, good luck.
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

schillingdj wrote:You may need to refer to the man o war book if you can find it.

Images of the Man-O'-War Black Ark may be found here:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniature ... tors_Guide

Someone made a scaled-up version of a Man-O'-War Black Ark a while back- it was shown in the pages of US White Dwarf in passing (it didn't have its own feature).

Personally, I don't think the Man-O'War Black Ark matches the descriptions from the various Dark Elf army books and other source materials very well.

My own impression is of a giant stone iceberg, with crenellated battlements studded all over it. :twisted:
Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

I dont think that that looks like a black ark at all. I would look at the Dark Eldar "tanks"(dont know how they're called). That gives more of a feeling but then put it in boat form
Starting with Orks!!! A green tide will come (well, I have 34 boyz now :D
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

Given the legend of how the first black arks came to be, I agree with Heldrak's vision: hollowed out monoliths of mountain floating on the waves.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Black Ark's are huge!!!! They are literally floating castles/fortresses!!

I think you are looking to build a smaller Reaver Vessel. There is a good example in the back of the book, I think it is the last page. There are some smaller vessels sallying forth from the larger Black Ark with some sea serpents at their sides....

The Man O War pics are a good example for sure.

I have had this same idea. Now that I am done painting my DE I want an invasion ship for them to set out from.

I woudl imagine it to be very very sleak and slender. With a very sharp front for peircing other ships at sea.

The best example I can think of for a model is the Dark Eldar Ravager ship or whatever it is called,, the thing that looks like it is out of Star Wars. I was looking at my buddies and it would work well with some balsa conversion. You would line your models up against ht eside of the Ark kinda like they are shooting over a wall.

I would imagine that the DE would ram this kind of ship into their invasion spot, or right into the middle of an enemy port and then they would set out from the side of the ship which would drop down in a cool fashion.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

My image of a Black ark is a mountain with a dark elven castle on top of it. (like all those spiky towers and that) And that thing floats. Think an image of a huge cruising ship (the likes of them which sail in the Caribbean these days, about three hundred meters long), but wider, higher and scarier; there you have a black ark.

About smaller reaver ships, http://www.druchii.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3600

That's my own corsair vessel, for raiding other ships and landing. It has a sharp blade in the bow, that pierces the rammed ship and keeps it in place while the crew raids the ship; and when the corsair ship reverses (with the oars), water bursts in from the hole.
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

Ok, that is stunning! Thanks for the replies. I do want to create a black ark. I understand it is a huge endevore. I will start out with a smaller ship with perhaps only two towers. its going to be a project!
Svart
Highborn

Post by Svart »

Well you can create a black ark. The problem is, as always, the scale. If you want it to be the same scale as GW minis... then you're in real trouble, because it would probably be several meters high. But you can always choose a smaller scale. Or you can just make a black ARC instead =)
...Evil will never creep into an empty head...
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Im actually a quarter of the way through a Black Ark i am making myself. I used foam pretty much for the outter rocky hull for thats what i imagined it to be. A big frotress on a floating rock. If you want help about Black Arks and what they would look like talk to Draknir Helgar

EDIT: woops, draknir has already helped a bit, either way you should see the great picture he drew of it!
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Draknir Helgar wrote:About smaller reaver ships, http://www.druchii.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3600

That's my own corsair vessel, for raiding other ships and landing. It has a sharp blade in the bow, that pierces the rammed ship and keeps it in place while the crew raids the ship; and when the corsair ship reverses (with the oars), water bursts in from the hole.
Did you poist a thread about making this? If not would you please do so? I'm sure we'd all like to know how to make a ship look that good.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

I wrote a guide but I haven't posted it. I could. If I can only find the paper...
Darklord of naggaroth
Dark Rider
Location: A dreaded place where any mere mortal would not be able to bear...Manchester

Post by Darklord of naggaroth »

I think making a black ark is a bad idea. but a corsair ship would be great.
I've sort of made one. It's made entirly out of bolsa wood and is about 40cm long. problem is I'm not sure where I'm going with it. I have made all except the tower. (I'm basing it off the ship you can see on the slaves' tale page.) but now I'm not sure if I should even do the tower, I'm afraid I'll wreck it. and the other problem is the colour. I was going to spray it all black, but then my bro said that it would probably look too black and unnatural.
i'd love to post a pic of it but I'm not sure how...
The Weak deserve To Die
DarkLord
Diederikiii
Shade

Post by Diederikiii »

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44973&highlight=

check the pictures there , when I looked at these I thought it repsending our home's but maybe the great structure is a black ark ,as this can confurmed by the armybooks saying it are flooting castle's,

making this isn't gowing to be easy and it will take alot of time I supose