Storm of Magic Pictures from latest WD +PICS+

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Tethlis wrote:I think this will be fun, that players with huge monsters will be able to blow up their opponents with big spells, …
Fixed. ;)

Yes, if you already have a snow shovel for casualties on your regular troops from Apocalypse, you probably won’t need a new one for SoM.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Not fixed, broken. Yes there are some big monsters involved but you will still need substantial numbers of troops, it is not as if there are no big monsters in current armies, if anything the larger scale will reduce their impact.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

We don’t know until we know what exactly the new spells do. But I fear it indeed is an Apo analogue and that’s all I say.
Of course you will need big regiments to hide your magicians in there because unlike in 40k here the big things an the things making *bam* are different ones. But that’s not a solution.
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

Durzod wrote:They did in the e-mail newsletter they sent me. I was shocked.

I've yet to receive an e-mail newsletter from GW about Storm of Magic, nor should anyone have, their current policy is to release information about a product a week before it's release.
Les yuex sans le vie
Les magots ont infesté cadaver
Montagne du crane
Quelque du chose mon favorite.....
Littleboyblues
Corsair

Post by Littleboyblues »

Surprised there was so much hate on the new stuff...

Shrugs. I happen to like the dragon and will probably get two and I love the wizard compared to the super skinny woman that hasn't been fed in weeks that we have now. I also think the new terrain and monsters are pretty cool too. I'm not a huge fan of the manticore but hey at least chaos can get one now. I won't get into storm of chaos but all the new foot wizards look great and most of the monsters are pretty cool.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

overmind wrote:
Durzod wrote:They did in the e-mail newsletter they sent me. I was shocked.

I've yet to receive an e-mail newsletter from GW about Storm of Magic, nor should anyone have, their current policy is to release information about a product a week before it's release.

I haven't received the email from GW either, I call shenanigans.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Golan
Warrior

Post by Golan »

hi, we have news on GW site. Check it out - there is lot of information about the expansion.
New model of sorcerer on foot is cool in my opinion : )

//edit: and a bookmark at menu: warhammer -> Storm of Magic
take a look on sprues ; ))
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

it's a scandalous price to ask for a single plastic model, the sorcerres is 10,50 euro's and she's plastic, what the hell.

the dragon doesn't look bad though although the rider does upset me, i mean its a cold one knight(litteraly) with a head and shield swap. the sorcerres looks pudgy and short.

the battle magic is supprisingly cheap for what you get, but the book isn't although it looks welmade and again hardback (i love hardback , exept for the big rulebook as the back is ready to tear off) i'm not so sure i'm willing to pay for that because i feel its a big shopping catalougeu in there

i've seen some potentially leaked rules on the herdstone, and if that is true i'm not buying. it isn't because dark elves are probably the best army to play (because of assassins, witch elves and hydra's) not because you need even more scenery. its for 1 spell that would make you able to take 2 pieces of the battleboard and switch them around. thats not just stupid thats goddamn retarded. for 1 you would have to buy their highpriced battleboard to do it. and 2 moving pieces around with hills and large monsters is almost a sure way to break and drop models. although i guess you need to buy new ones, so gw would be benifited
Golan
Warrior

Post by Golan »

true, price is high - but it needs a little work to glue its parts..

and as for dragon: now the GW site is overloaded so i cant check its sprue, but we can always expect better stuff - i like new dragon more than olders : )

I like hardcovers too, but as I looked on this book it looks like it is opening not like most of others.. strange (or I was blind early morning ; ) )

..and about rules, well.. i think that we will hear about it on this forum, so I'am now worry right now : )
Kalath'n'dhar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kalath'n'dhar »

Here are the sprue of the dragon for those who can't acces the site right now :

Looks pretty good to me
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

You cannot see it on the sprue but the head is too big or, better, the rest oh him too small.

I wanted to wait for a resin release of the hydra to make a count-as manticore out of it and now we get exactly this in plastic (a flying hydra with only one head) but worse than a self-made one would look this way and as a dragon.

Maybe with another head… but where get one? And still too small then.
Last edited by Kuanor on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I'll reserve judgment until I see the model in person, but I like what I have seen so far.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Just got a curtisy email saying the preorders are ready. It includes new pics. Daemon of Chaos, Warriors of Chaos, and Vampire Count's players, enjoy.

Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

Kuanor wrote:You cannot see it on the sprue but the head is too big or, better, the rest oh him too small.

I think that theres no difference in proportions from ANY GW WFB dragon. All have snake-like body with huge head... So i dont know why youre complaining unless you want to complain about bad looking GW dragons overall. :)

As for the pose of dragon, yeah its kinda weird. But its platic so it will be pretty easy to shape it into different, better look. The only thing that bothers me, is why the hell have that black dragon wings like if he crash-landed into forest couple minutes ago? :roll:

But the pretty sweet thing in the dragon box is imho the second sprue, with lots of usefull bits to pimp your dreadlord and sorceres. Im actually considering buying this dragon mostly for those bits.

And as for DE sorceres, it looks imho quite nice on this more detailed picture. The only thing bugging me, for !8! pounds, GW could make it with more bits so you can make more or less unique miniature. Even more when its plastic.
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Yes, former GW dragons were ugly snakes with big heads. But this one is finally a dragon – or at least as far as a one-headed hydra can be one – with a cool pose (yes, I like it)… and still a big and even more ugly head.
That’s stupid.
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

i dislike the fact that it has huge spikes on his spine except where the seat is. i mean, we get it, the hydra's body is slick with spine spikes, the cold ones are slick with spine spikes, but reallly here it just look silly, and how dare thy put a cold one knight on there i was expeting a more fancy dreadlord to be honest
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

I don't understand the hate for the Hydra and the new DE Dragon...yes it could be better but it's pretty good imo as compared to the old Malekith dragon..now THAT was FUGLY. Looked like a chinese anorexic lizard. AS for the spikes on the new dragon, it's because they are trying to make the DE line (whole GW line to be honest) coherent in terms of design. I actually sold my HE dragon conversion the following day after I saw the DE dragon.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

Also Hydra is now 220 Pt plus it gets a couple of buffs for 20pt you get poisoned chomp attacks and/or 15pts spit - auto hit shooting attacks at strength "how many wounds are left" range 18". haven't read the fine print yet but it looks meh
Blacklotus
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Blacklotus »

great dragon with lots of weapons for future dreadlords and sorcs. I like everything about this box. It has everything a kit bashing DE collector could want. IMO its the kind of kit DE have been lacking. Even if u dont like the dragon or riders, there has to be something on those sprues you want!
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

flash29 wrote:i dislike the fact that it has huge spikes on his spine except where the seat is. i mean, we get it, the hydra's body is slick with spine spikes, the cold ones are slick with spine spikes, but reallly here it just look silly, and how dare thy put a cold one knight on there i was expeting a more fancy dreadlord to be honest

the missing spikes where the sadle should be... well thats weird. But how else would you add the rider there? :)

As for the CoK thing... As much as im familiar with DE fluff, CoK are not some guys, they are nobles though they are not as highly ranked as dreadlords or masters. That means same kind of armor, only dreadlords/masters armor will be more ornate, perhaps some more tropheys, bigger horn-thingies on the helmet but still "CoK" look... So dont know what you were expecting there :D
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

I was also hoping for something more special. Some exraordinary idea worth a dragon rider.
A CoK on a dragon is not wrong, just a little boring.

@ New hydra rules: I wish they would already count for our DE hydra so that we could use one or even two without it seen as cheesy, beardy, lame and whatever things like hydra or the pendant of Kaeleth are looked at.
Plobster
Slave on the Altar

Post by Plobster »

Well.

The DE sorc looks pretty decent, I prefer malekith/black dragon over the new dreadlord and his dragon though. Most of these models looks "soulless", I.E the cockatrice which looks a bit too futuristic and inapt.

I'm contemplating whether I should purchase the new model of the sorc, or remain with my old, coarse one. Probably inclined on the latter one.

The favourable thing for these new models collaterally to the contemporary ones is the price.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Not a huge fan of the new sorceress model, but I am liking the dragon. Much better than what was circulating before, and may finally influence me to buy one (now to contemplate the price...)
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

It doesn't seem to matter which angle I look at the soceress' out stretched hand, she just hasn't got a thumb! Also her hand on the staff has melted into it: some grip she must have. 10.50€ for a no options single plastic is really really bad value. Kit bashing one of the torsos from the dragon kit may be the more frugal option. :idea:
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

If you guys don't like the dragon that much, Forge world has their own black dragon...Just add rider

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/C ... RAGON.html
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra