What works best for you against shooting-heavy armies?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Silvershadow
Warrior

What works best for you against shooting-heavy armies?

Post by Silvershadow »

Pretty much what the subject line says - what actually works best against shooting-heavy armies in your experience?
The theory isn't rocket science - for example, armor saves are going to help against most "light" shooting (such as Wood Elves), providing a lot of targets (MSU) is going to help against a lot of shooting as long as the units are fast enough to reach the enemy lines and/or don't die right away, and shooting them before they shoot you of course.

I'd provide examples myself but I haven't run into all that much shooting lately, and I am going up against what is likely to be a mostly non-tree wood elves army soon so the question entered my head and I couldn't really find any discussion on the subject here (if there is, my search-fu has failed me and I apologize). MSU feels like a possibility, and is pretty much what I mostly do anyway, but I do fear the possibility of being shot off before I reach them (getting the first turn is likely going to mean a lot). I am torn between running three 5-man units of dark riders or to mix them up a bit in two units (and possibly put a sorceress on a dark steed in one of them), and likewise between two units of 5 warlocks or one 10-man unit. Maybe a unit of AHW shades to try to shoot some of his shooting off from behind enemy lines and possibly getting a charge in on some archers? There are many possibilities, thankfully.

So my question is what have YOU, fellow druchii, found actually works for you against shooting-heavy armies - whether they be wood elves, other dark elves, dwarf gun lines, traitor-elves, etc? What units have done well for you and what units have done poorly?
Last edited by Silvershadow on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: What actually works best against shooting-heavy armies?

Post by Saintofm »

Skirmishers and flyers tend to do well against shooty units as most flying units have a skirmisher rule, and skirmishers doct 1 point of Balistic skill from the enemy.

This means harpies do well, as will shades. Give shades 2 hand weapons and they can get the extra attacks in and since they have Always Strike First, they will get the first hits in. Give them great weapons, they attack at the same time as the Wood elves but can hit harder.

Another thing that makes skirmishers good is that most shooty units suck in close combat. This means that if you get your fast cavelry tooled up, at least sheilds and full command but crossbows still serve a purpos, can have some fun.

Other infantry would be corsairs more times then not. Corsairs have a constant 4+ armor save, and even before that had one against shooting attacks. Basicly these were seige warfair troops.

Other troops:

Most of our army has a max armor save of 5+. Spears, crossbows, Swordsmen, Black Guard, Executioners; you name the infantrymen and it probably has a 5+ armor save. There are 4 main exceptions, and most of them have been mentioned.

The other main troop that lacks it is the infamouse glass cannon, Witch Elves. Witch elves are a hammer unit, a unit that is an all about the attack, but this means they tend to lack in defence. In fact unless spells are cast on them, or have a couldron with them, they have no armor or other kind of saves.

Sisters of Slaughter might have some fun. I can't remember if they get the 4++ save all the time or just in close combat. Either way they are anti elite troop, and elves have alot of those.

Hydras might also be fun. I have used them well enough agaisnt dwarv shooting. The problem is going to be a mass of shooting might kill it still as their armor gives them half a chance to survive (4+ armor save role).
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

+1 to Saints comments except:

Saintofm wrote:Sisters of Slaughter might have some fun. I can't remember if they get the 4++ save all the time or just in close combat. Either way they are anti elite troop, and elves have alot of those.

6+ AS T3 in open field = expensive Asrai practice target! :burns:

General tips gainst shooting heavy opponents:

Mobile troops to avoid fire arcs i.e. Dark Riders

Knights/Chariots to brave S3 fire

Flyers to take out warmachines

Engage with regular troops ASAP

Corsairs as main troop or screen in front of others
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

BS based shooting often relies on quantity and controlling the shooting modifiers in my (limited) experience. So I try to counter by adding shooting modifiers and reducing the number of shots. Try to force panic tests or simply reduce their number with any sort of ranged attack while staying a threat with your combat troops to get attention.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Heartshiver
Warrior

Re: What works best for you against shooting-heavy armies?

Post by Heartshiver »

As well as all of the above remarks, I would think Dark magic would be the way to go as well. Having both chillwind and word of pain will be good for shutting down bs shooting, and most of the other spells will be useful too.
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

I would play a Kav. Army.

Core: Dark Riders with shield.
Rest: Cold ones and Warloks.

Pegasus Dreadlord with Twilight Mantle

Some Masters and a Mage on Horses or Cold ones.

They have to endure Shooting for 1 round and attack.
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Bring more guns. If you out shoot the other person then you are the heavy shooting list.
IE I generate something like 108 shots per turn, over 90% are only st3 ap, and roughly 10% are st4 ap.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii