All Comers Kill Team

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bozo69PD
Trainee Warrior

All Comers Kill Team

Post by Bozo69PD »

Hi, some friends and I were doing kill teams with 40k. My buddies were then wanting to try it with Fantasy which I don't play much of. On Sunday we are going to go to the local GW and have a 20 man Arena Iron Man Tourney. $1 buy in winner takes all.

The rules are: 1 Warlord (kit the hell out of him?) attached to 1 unit (can be core, special, or rare) anything goes. Deploy on either side of a 2x2 board with terrain (mostly woods 1 ruin). 300 points.

I'm going to bring my master on a cold one with 5 COK with full command but I'm not sure what magic items to take for all comers...

I figure so far

Master on CO with HA and shield is 94 points
COK x5 with FC is 180

is 274 with only leaves me with 26 points to spend on items.

I know one of my friends is bringing Ironguts + HQ, another is bring lots and lots of Dryads with Draicha or whatever her name is, then 17ish others to fight. Am I about to get squished?
Taijushue
Cold One Knight

Re: All Comers Kill Team

Post by Taijushue »

what about master on steed in a unit of 5 warlocks. more points left for items, plus the 2 spells of the warlock with give a nice advantage. you wont have the 2+ armor but 4++ vs all but slaanesh is nice.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I would think you'd be best served by a hag and a big block of witches. You'll get a ton of poisoned attacks, and you can kit out the hag to take out higher toughness stuff. Depending on the points, you could maybe take the Razor Standard too. I would take that over 5 cold ones any day.

The big downside with frenzy is redirection and all that. If he's just one unit, you don't have to worry about that.

Bored at lunch break at work, so I played around with the numbers a little. You could do a Death Hag with the Ogre Blade and Witch Brew for 155, 9 Witches for 99, 25 for razor standard, and standard and musician.

I'd take that over cold ones.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Bozo69PD
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bozo69PD »

Yeah I would like to get a bunch of warlocks soon. Right now I have only invested in 10 DR and 5 COK + master on COK because I had wanted to try all mounted mobile army. Just started fantasy with the release of 8th edition DE so I am quite noob and haven't gotten many games in at all.

I bet my playgroup would let me do counts as (especially since its the same friggin box that warlocks come out of haha) So I may do the 5 locks+ master on steed.

Firstly what happens if I put master on CoK with warlocks. We are playing on a 2x2 board so is the move penalty that big a deal?

Fluff wise CoK are my favorite, was a big fan of the Malus Darkblade books so I was really kinda hoping to use those because that's what people kinda know me for. Do they suck that bad?
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I'm a big fan of Cold One Knights too, they are a great unit. I think I own at least 20, I'd have to count to see. I've fielded that many before but it's been a long time, and I sold a few on eBay a few years back, so not sure how many I still have.

But in the format you're doing with this 300 point single unit thing, I don't think they're your best option. Now, if you want to field them for fluff reasons, I can certainly get behind that. But you asked our opinion on how they would do in the format you presented, and I gave mine.

The warlock idea could work, I would still do witch elves, if you could find a way to get your hands on the minis. I think in terms of your chances of winning, I think that's the way to go. But if you'd have more fun with Cold One Knights, then by all means, do that. That is why we play after all, is it not? :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Marky
Trainee Warrior

Post by Marky »

Hey,

The coldones are a strong and viable unit. They are hard to kill with their 2+ armor save. The only thing that gives problems is that you have so few wounds. and each wound makes a big difference in damage output.

Is your master allowed to leave the unit in game? If so, I would opt for a darksteed.

a list I would play with your limits is:
first list
6 cold one knights champion (proxy your master as an other cok) 190pt
You need every wound and every attack possible. This would be the only time that I would not take a musician.

master lance sdc charmed shield, heavy armour dark steed luckstone 106
This gives you a fairly durable but also fairly hitty master on the charge (2++ first hit 1+ reroll once)

Tactics: If the enemy is stronger (but can't shoot) let your master leave the unit and walk as fast as possible to the back.
Afterwards charge your master in the back and your coks in the front (or if he turned and you'll have raisonably chance to survive with your master charge visa versa or charge only the cok in his back and the turn afterwards the master to give them some extra combat res (if needed))

second list
5cok fc 180

master co potion of strenght heavy armour sdc halberd luckstone 119pt

He trades a little bit of protection for cheer wounding power (one turn +3 strenght 1+ reroll once)

Tactics (ahum): Deploy them in one line and charge head on!!! (this is as close as I can get to your first list)

!!! Be aware that this is a stone-scissor-paper type of game and it will almost always be clear before you play your game who would win this.!!! except unfortunate bad luck
Last edited by Marky on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2200 points of drucchi
Bozo69PD
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bozo69PD »

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. Yeah, its just one unit at all times. We are all Braveheart fans and WE WANT TO SEE A QUICK AND FURIOUS POUNDING. Especially since we are trying to get through 20 people in a few spaces within an hour or 2. I'm leaning towards the second list you provided Marky, or perhaps proxying all the dark riders as warlocks + sorc on steed.

It's also good to know that I should go in prepared to get buttraped rock, paper, scissors style haha. I have experienced that from Ironguts and Skull Crushers before which I welcome. I do hope to eat lots... and lots... of Skaven slaves with my CO's though.
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

I think you all have it wrong. Lvl 2 Fire (or death sorceress) and 15 Darkshards.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Marky
Trainee Warrior

Post by Marky »

I think you all have it wrong. Lvl 2 Fire (or death sorceress) and 15 Darkshards

I think the coks would eat them for breakfast :p and so would many other unit. Remember that the table is 2x2.
One ruine and a wood should suffice to give enough hit-penalties to the shard that they be nearly useless.

30 bolts hit on 6 =5 hit
1/2 wounds = 2.5 hits
4/6 saves = 0.833 wounds (even less when one cok is dead and you need to allocate hits to your master who would sport a 2+ after piercing)

You should be able to do this max 2-3 times (stand and shoot included) so let's say 1-3 coks dead. I don't know how you are going to cast much but fireball will always be dispelled (Except if you have fireball and cascading fire cloack (one chance in three (little bit more actually).) If you go for 'IF' good luck. I think it would probably be more devestating to you then to me.

so here we are in combat my 3-5 coks +master (i'd use my first list) against your 15 shards and sorceress.

I'll calculate for the worst scenario for me: 4* 4/6 *35/36 = 2.6 wounds + 3* 4/6 * 35/36 = 2 wounds

you react = 16* 1/2 * 21/36 * 1/6 = 0.777 wounds (actually less because of masters charmed chield and luckstone)

2 cold ones and a darksteed react: 4* 1/2 *4/6 + 1/2 *1/2= 1.58 wounds

So in total I do 6 wounds and you do 1.

Combat rounds end with 9 darkshard and a useless sorceress against a master and 2 cok. (If you don't break on ld 8)

Coks are surely our second best kill-team unit after warlocks with sorceress.
This is ofcourse only my opinion and if anyone can prove me wrong, go on.
2200 points of drucchi
Falstaff
Beastmaster

Post by Falstaff »

Is it combat only? If not, I'd go for a lvl2 death with 5 brolocks :)

Kite the opponent and snipe him with Death and Bolts.
dms505
Shade

Post by dms505 »

Death hag, Witch brew, Biting Blade - 125
11 Sisters of Slaughter, Champ - 175

It's a given that they'll have a hero with S4 or WS6+ so you're sisters will be striking first with 2 attacks hitting normal troops on 2+ with rerolls and wounding at a +1 with rerolling 1s and then have a 6+, 4++. Knowing what they will be bringing makes this a very viable unit. You could also swap the hag with a master if you wanted, I just like more attacks with the lower strength and +1 to wound.
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Anyone want to run the maths on 10 Shades with Great Weapon + Death Hag with Witch Brew?
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Sounds like fun, I'd probably go with the warlocks but with a master:

Master, dark steed, heavy armor, sea dragon cloak, brace of repeater handbows, sword of might, potion of strength, charmed shield and dragonbane gem - 150
6 Warlocks - 150
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Still pretty sure witches and a hag would be the way to go...just saying.

Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

I guess I don't know the rules being used but if it still regular fantasy of move, magic, shoot, combat, then witch elves won't see favorable combat against fast cav and you are vulnerable to magic and shooting. You may also be forced to respect unit size restrictions for this which means at least 10 witch elves, and the razor banner is 45 points. So you'd be over 300 points with your suggestion.

6 warlocks brings fast cav, 12 str 4 attacks with poison and 6 str 3 attacks, a level 2 caster with fixed spells and a 4++ ward against everything bar slaanesh wounds. I guess it's a judgement call on whether you want a master or a sorceress.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

r530 wrote:I guess I don't know the rules being used but if it still regular fantasy of move, magic, shoot, combat, then witch elves won't see favorable combat against fast cav and you are vulnerable to magic and shooting. You may also be forced to respect unit size restrictions for this which means at least 10 witch elves, and the razor banner is 45 points. So you'd be over 300 points with your suggestion.

6 warlocks brings fast cav, 12 str 4 attacks with poison and 6 str 3 attacks, a level 2 caster with fixed spells and a 4++ ward against everything bar slaanesh wounds. I guess it's a judgement call on whether you want a master or a sorceress.

On a 24" table shooting isn't going to be a good option, so people probably won't take that.

Now the units size limit thing I totally forgot about for some reason. And I was going by memory on the razor banner, apologies for getting that wrong. So never mind then :)